Why become a member? ×

Status neck on musicman bass... why?

phatkat

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1320598135' post='1428788']
Actually graphite necks can have dead spots. Rob states that on the Status site and I have quite a nice dead spot on the open A on my S2 fretless.
[/quote]

Indeed, but IIRC, with the higher resonant frequency on a graphite neck they were much more likely to be either over the 12th fret, or at a frequency above what the bass can produce.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1320598654' post='1428797']I only ever owned one Stingray and sold it because of the dead spots. I hope they're not all like that, but if they are, the trade in after-market necks should be booming. :)[/quote]

They are not :)

The argument for more sustain is the same as the one for fitting a badass bridge on a Fender bass, some say it does, some say it doesn't and some say it does but they preferred it with the standard one.

Status themselves as someone else pointed out say you can still get dead spots.

Tuning would be better but then again even my bullet truss rod equipped Ray holds very well.
Which leaves neck width which you can get new as a Slo neck model anyway.

I'm with 4000 which means the same applies for P and Jazz basses too if your gigging takes you from different humiditys day to day which I believe was part of the reason Flea ditched Rays? A few years later and he is back to wooden neck basses anyway. I think EBMM missed a trick not making a Flea signature with a modulus neck.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1320615507' post='1429107']
I think EBMM missed a trick not making a Flea signature with a modulus neck.
[/quote]

Didn't he make some outlandish demands, like that he wanted the Stingray to be renamed 'The Flea bass' or something? I also think EBMM are not the kind of progressive company that would choose to have graphite necks.

Would it of been that outlandish at the time? Many people still see flea as a Ray player. Would making a bass they had already made under MM years earlier be progressive, I'm not a Status expert but I'm guessing the Cutlass pre dates Status?

MB1. :)
Not sure on the cutlass date but i do remember seeing the first Status series one basses (then called Strata basses) on BBCs Tomorrows World. :)
Strata bass number 29 dates to 1982
when did MM Cutlasses go into production?

Edited by MB1

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1320685226' post='1429986']
Would it of been that outlandish at the time? Many people still see flea as a Ray player. Would making a bass they had already made under MM years earlier be progressive, I'm not a Status expert but I'm guessing the Cutlass pre dates Status?
[/quote]

Close call - Cutlass birthdate is 1982 (with Modulus manufactured neck) with Status being 81 - the Status folks may be clearer around the dates. Is 1981 the birth of GMT or was Rob going before this? Geoff Gould (founder of modulus) apparently presented first graphite necked bass in 1977... so it looks like MM and Status were lagging by a few years.

Edited by EBS_freak

From Alembic wiki -

In 1976, Alembic made the world's first graphite neck basses with necks supplied by Geoff Gould, who subsequently founded Modulus.

Well.. somebody is wrong! (my previous comment about Geoff Gould presenting the first graphite necked bass in 1977 was this Alembic - maybe it was finished in 76 and made aware to the public in 77?)

So not all that progressive then really is it the 1970's? I would have a Modulus neck Ray but at the same time I dont feel a need to fit one. To me these so called forward thinking progressive graphite basses look more dated to me or rather stuck in an era most of us want to forget where as a Ray has passed over with the Jazz and P bass as a timeless classic :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

So not all that progressive then really is it the 1970's? I would have a Modulus neck Ray but at the same time I dont feel a need to fit one. To me these so called forward thinking progressive graphite basses look more dated to me or rather stuck in an era most of us want to forget where as a Ray has passed over with the Jazz and P bass as a timeless classic :)
MB1. :)
Blatent Stingray pompousity! :)