Why become a member? ×

Status neck on musicman bass... why?

phatkat

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1320859213' post='1432429']
Fair enough point... but an odd truss rod tweak doesn't scare me - although I understand others are reluctant to touch it. The point I was trying to emphasise is that a graphite neck is not essential to get low action.
[/quote]

It's possible to take that one step further. A little flexibility or softness helps with getting that mid-peak growl but there's a compromise in terms of action. Normally a super thick and stiff fingerboard is the best solution but if it doesn't compliment the neck woods, the fingerboard can add a little brittleness.

The other thing I'll add is that I've found Steinberger necks to be the warmest sounding composite necks by far. If I could figure out a way to manipulate body wood sufficient to get that mid peak growl consistently I'd be away laughing. Would love to see if Moses would custom build a headed steinberger neck (which is built to be stiffer than their standard jazz necks) but make it in one of their their stingray neck moulds.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1320829303' post='1431838']

Have no idea about Status, a 1981 date would be a bit of a revelation. Mark King played them from 1983 onwards I believe.
[/quote]

From the Status website:

"The S2-Classic, as the name suggests, is truly the Classic Status Bass. Originally designed in 1981, the fundamental range has expanded to include through-neck, bolt-on and left handed models"

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1320938374' post='1433465']
Cheers, do you know when they were first manufactured?
[/quote]

It looks like bass serial number 05 was made in '82, whether the first four were '81 or '82 I don't know.

Rob Green started out as GMT and called the basses and guitars "Strata" but a large musical instrument manufacturer sent in the lawyers because the name sounded too much like some kind of guitar they came up with in the fifties. Some more info here: http://www.statii.com/status_cats/strata/index.html

Also an interview http://www.statii.com/status_cats/players/rob_green/1985/rob_green_music_uk_1985.jpg which gives a few details into the type of construction and what's probably the use of an autoclave.

Status necks are nice bits of kit. I've had an aftermarket one which was fitted to my current P mongrel, but didn't like the sound at all, if anything with this bass it sounded quite muddy. All those frequencies ringing through that the wood neck deadens, perhaps?

I now use a mighty mite maple neck and it's perfect. The S2 classic I owned was clear as a bell though, so I guess they suit some instruments better than others.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1320943685' post='1433569']
It looks like bass serial number 05 was made in '82, whether the first four were '81 or '82 I don't know.
[/quote]
thanks, was interested to know how long it was after they were designed that he started marketing them.