Why become a member? ×

Attitude is important !!

Coilte

When this lad was given some polite constructive criticism of his playing from someone on the "Talk Bass" forum, he replied with a torrent of abuse, calling the commentator a c***t, among other things. These comments have since been deleted. The guy posted it on TB. Hence all the negative comments. IMO they did this lad a favour. Hopefully he'll wake up and smell the coffee.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmRTw5Qnqg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmRTw5Qnqg[/url]

It was not so much his playing that prompted me to post. Yes, it leaves a lot to be desired, but you have to start somewhere. It was his inability to accept constructive criticism, and his hostile reaction to it, that surprised me. Being young and rebellious, having "issues" etc, is one thing, but there is no excuse IMO, ( except that is, for bad upbringing) for his hostile reaction.

Edited by Coilte

There's nothing wr[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1320417290' post='1426642']It was not so much his playing that prompted me to post. Yes, it leaves a lot to be desired, but you have to start somewhere. It was his inability to accept constructive criticism, and his hostile reaction to it, that surprised me. Being young and rebellious, having "issues" etc, is one thing, but there is no excuse IMO, ( except that is, for bad upbringing) for his hostile reaction.[/quote]

This. I mean there is nothing wrong with being a sh*t bass player (I was pretty crap when I was 14) but there is just no need to act like an idiot just because people are offering you criticism.

I see this quite a lot. When someone starts to learn an instrument, they develop an early boost of confidence that compels them to play crude riffs loud and proud in music shops. Coupled with teenage hormones and angst, this results in an inability to accept criticism.

The problem here is that Youtube is the world's biggest music shop.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1320418452' post='1426672']
I see this quite a lot. When someone starts to learn an instrument, they develop an early boost of confidence that compels them to play crude riffs loud and proud in music shops. Coupled with teenage hormones and angst, this results in an inability to accept criticism.

[/quote]

I agree in part. Times have certainly changed. When I was that guy's age, while we were no angels, neither I nor my peers would dream of reacting in such a hostile way.....teenage hormones or otherwise.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1320419040' post='1426678'] I agree in part. Times have certainly changed. When I was that guy's age, while we were no angels, neither I nor my peers would dream of reacting in such a hostile way.....teenage hormones or otherwise.[/quote]

you probably didn't have a computer to hide behind. Whilst I'm sure this lad wouldn't dream of calling a middle aged 100 kilo man a **** to his face, because he is tucked up safely in his room far away then he doesn't have to worry about the repercussions of his actions.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1320418452' post='1426672']

The problem here is that Youtube is the world's biggest music shop.
[/quote]

So what's my excuse Pete???

:)

I havent watched the video but I guess when someone finds it hard to accept criticism, it could also be down to the fact that he may have been misinformed by family/friends and they made him think he was the ish (as the young would say).
As the OP said, hopefully he (and every other budding player) will wake up and smell the coffee.

[quote name='funkygreega' timestamp='1320420707' post='1426715']
I havent watched the video but I guess when someone finds it hard to accept criticism, it could also be down to the fact that he may have been misinformed by family/friends and they made him think he was the ish (as the young would say).
As the OP said, hopefully he (and every other budding player) will wake up and smell the coffee.
[/quote]

Just like the X-Factor hopefuls.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1320420060' post='1426701']

you probably didn't have a computer to hide behind. Whilst I'm sure this lad wouldn't dream of calling a middle aged 100 kilo man a **** to his face, because he is tucked up safely in his room far away then he doesn't have to worry about the repercussions of his actions.
[/quote]

Yes, that's one of the problems with the internet, people manufacture personas for themselves that are laughably different from their real life ones - a huge overcompensation for their own ignorance and ineffectiveness IME.

As for me, I just stay the same - I'm a complete kn*b in real life as well... :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1320440577' post='1427038']
I've never seen myself playing on video like that, and I'm very worried that after 32+ years of playing I'd find out that I sound just like that kid. :)
[/quote]
Ditto that! :)

God how I hate it when they solo the bass track in the studio...