Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326451951' post='1497318']
There is only one reason this thread gets any people to check in...

and it isn't the amp :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

HAHAHA I can spice it up with some other nice pictures of Swedish girls if it helps sell more EBS stuff :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='sunsse' timestamp='1326467593' post='1497650']
I really wish EBS would make an AMP bag for the Reidmar. I hate having to babysit my amp each time i gig. Is anyone here familiar with an existing amp bag that fits with the Reidmar's dimensions?
[/quote]

I have been told that mark at Bass Direct can help here. I think the medium skinz bag is perfect for the Reidmar.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325604856' post='1484994']

[indent=1]Sounds like its going to be a sucess for EBS! I'm glad they kept the price quite low.[/indent]
[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325604856' post='1484994']

[indent=1]Sounds like its going to be a sucess for EBS! I'm glad they kept the price quite low.[/indent]
[/quote]

They can keep the prices low,because they don't pay the chinese a lot for them. :o

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326468577' post='1497672']
I have been told that mark at Bass Direct can help here. I think the medium skinz bag is perfect for the Reidmar.
[/quote]

I have a Gigskinz medium mixer bag which is a perfect fit for my iAmp 350, so this must be quite a big amp.

I hope the one I have is not representative of the quality - the main bag has held together but the pocket zips only lasted a matter of weeks. I think you'd probably be better off with a laptop briefcase.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1326484514' post='1497971']
I have a Gigskinz medium mixer bag which is a perfect fit for my iAmp 350, so this must be quite a big amp.

I hope the one I have is not representative of the quality - the main bag has held together but the pocket zips only lasted a matter of weeks. I think you'd probably be better off with a laptop briefcase.
[/quote]

I have the medium bag that Mark @ Bass Direct sells and it's a perfect fit for the Reidmar. I have used this bag with other amps for about a year now and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1326631860' post='1499671']
I just ordered a Classic1x12 from Effects power supplies. They seem to be the only dealer with any cabs in stock at the moment. I got the Reidmar head from them and was very pleased with their service.
[/quote]

You are lucky to get that. They had two left last Thursday and said they would not be getting any for a good few weeks. I bought one and i could not decide to buy the other but decided to wait :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326636492' post='1499745']
You are lucky to get that. They had two left last Thursday and said they would not be getting any for a good few weeks. I bought one and i could not decide to buy the other but decided to wait :)
[/quote]

Lucky for me that you decided to wait then :D.

It should hopefully be here tomorrow.

I managed to get mine all set up today and have a bit of time playing and I am very very happy. Not sure if it has been designed this way but my Fender Jazz and Precision both sound amazing but my Warwick's needs a little more setting up with the EQ. Not sure if its because of the more vintage tuned speaker or just one of those things but either way, the passive Fender's sound amazing, especially the Jazz.

As expected. the sound is very warm and vintage but there is scope to dial in pretty much any tone. It reminds of an old school amp rather than one of these clean and thin sounding modern Class D mini amps. Its nice and its very full and warm.

Another thing is its very very loud. Boy is it loud. I set it up next to my MarkBass 121H combo and the comparision is quite amazing. On the Reidmar and the MarkBass combo, the passive Fenders start to clip at around 2 o clock so for this exercise, I dropped it down to 12 o clock on both heads. I then set the volume at 9 o clock on both amps and the Reidmar was uncomfortably much louder than my MarkBass combo. Taking into acount that the MarkBass was running at 300 watts at 8 ohms and the Reidmar is 125 watts at 8 ohms, the difference in volume was very noticable.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326847164' post='1502871']
Is your tweeter on the cab turned on? (the flick switch on the back of the cab) The bright pan pot should start to rip your head off as it's turned up!
[/quote]

Ah ok, no idea. I will give that a try later. Thank you.

Now that’s a tasty partnership! Glad you are enjoying your new EBS rig!

I am able to switch between passive and active tones on all of my basses. Especially on my Lakland because I can get a pretty convincing J, P or MM tone...three of my favourite basses! I love warm old school tones as much as modern hi-fi tones. Passive mode sounds great through the Reidmar, but I do have to tweak the EQ a little to compensate for the active 3 band EQ settings on the bass as the volume dips a bit and sounds a quite flat. I boost the mid control to about 12-1 o’clock, the roll back the mid frequency control to 200-400Hz and roll back the bright control to about 9 o’clock or turn it off completely depending if I am using the tweeter horn or not. Because I don’t use 12” or 15” speakers I might have to boost the bass control a tad too. Those tweaks deliver a lot more punch and warmth and I can get some very nice Bernard Edwards, James Jamerson type tones.

The bright control is a very cool feature on all EBS amps, but like EBS_Freak said it can take your head off…even with the tweeter set to -0dB! It works a little bit like the VLE control on Mark Bass amps or Enhance control on David Eden amps. It will tighten up the mids a bit, but it has way more attack and fizz than the Mark Bass and David Eden amps. I always say to folks that the tone is much more focussed than scooped because there is still a bit of mid punch in there. A couple of other EBS owners I know will use the bright control to open up the tweeter when the mood takes them. Of course, it doesn’t actually control the tweeter horn…you will still have to use the dial on the back of the cab to do this, but the voicing of the cab really responds to the bright control dramatically. I usually use the bright control when I want a hi-fi tone. I rarely set it past 12 o’clock (because it makes me squint!) and I apply a bit more compression to get a very fast and attacking slap tone.

As for your Warwick’s, the MEC pickups are different animals compared to your Fender pickups. My Thumb sounds great either passive or active through any amp, but MEC pickups are tuned very flat by design, so you will notice a difference in tone when stood next to a Fender bass. Remember the ‘Sound of Wood’ slogan that Warwick promotes for their instruments? They focus on the wood tone characteristic of a bass rather than have the electronics do all the donkey work, that’s why you hear a more organic growly tone from a Warwick bass which is appealing to many players. Anyway, point being is that every brand of bass will make an amp behave differently and you may find tweaking your amp a bit to get your desired tone. EBS amps are sensitive, hyperactive little puppies and are very clean and clear with beautiful harmonic quality. I have played a £80 non-branded Korean eBay bass belonging to one of my students through my HD350 amp and still sounded great. I have no doubt that your Warwick’s will sound just the way you want them using the Reidmar. It takes a little bit of time to get used to a new amp, but you will find the money shot for your all of your basses in no time.

I will post a couple of photo’s a bit later that will show what EQ settings I dial in for my passive and active tones. Naturally, they won’t be to everyone’s liking, but it will demonstrate how differently I set the amp depending on which bass I use either in passive or active mode. Some settings will have very little change, bit a little goes a long way with this amp!

Thanks Schizznit. Photos of your amp settings would be great. I think you have hit the nail on the head saying EBS amps are sensitive, hyperactive little puppies. What I have found in my five minutes of use is the amp really accentuate the different features of a bass, more so than any other amp I have used. Dial the tone down on a Precision and you get that really deep, dubby, warm thumpy bass tone. Turn the tone to full and you really get that aggresive Precision bark. With a Jazz, dialling off the front pickup gets that traditional Jazz honk and with both pickups, the warm smooth melted chocolate tone. Yet with the charachteristic being accentuated, the overall tone is still very full and does not lack anything.

The Warwicks I need to work on and I will try them in passive to see if that makes any difference. The fretless Jazzman has always been difficult to get a good sound from so I will need to work on this.The LX sounds great, more rounded with that typical Warwick tone. Love it.

Looking forward to seeing some piccies of EQ settings late on. Thanks.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326847164' post='1502871']
Is your tweeter on the cab turned on? (the flick switch on the back of the cab) The bright pan pot should start to rip your head off as it's turned up!
[/quote]

Ok tweeter is switched on at the back of the cab, Active filter on the Reidmar is turned on. Its very noticable with an active bass and yes, it does rip your head off :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326912523' post='1503711']

Ok tweeter is switched on at the back of the cab, Active filter on the Reidmar is turned on and turning the bright dial does nothing at all. All the way round to the right and back and there is no change whatsoever in the tone :(:(

At the moment, with the dodgy speakeron socket and now this, I really am not happy.
[/quote]

Email Ralph @ EBS mate. That doesn't sound right at all :-(