Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1323444421' post='1463515']
Ok, first impressions.

This thing sounds amazing.
It really has kept true to that EBS sound.
From playing in my room i'd happily say its just as loud as my hd350 was when paired with a 210. I've got a backline gig tonight so i'll report back on that later.
Really really impressed with the cabs, rather than having a rotary tweeter control they've got a simple on/off switch & with them turned off you get a really nice old school sound, sounds great with my neck pickup.
I wouldn't say the cabs were heavy or light but saying this they are an easy one hand lift. A lot easier to carry than my old epifani.

So yeah, as of now i'm totally loving it. Going to put it through it's paces tonight and report back.

Also, i hope to get some time next week to record a full video review of the amp to show all lovely people.

Jake
[/quote]

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Come on, come on, get the vidcam out and get youtubing! :)

T

Just got in from my first gig with amp. I only took the 112 cab and it performed excellently.
It was a bar show tonight with a cajun, mini grand piano, acoustic guitar & vocals.
Everything was going through the bars sound system & the amp was barely on 1 before it started to fill the bar with lovely bottom end.
This amp really does sit in the mix, can't wait for the cabs to bed in & see what it really can do with a full electric set up.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1323457247' post='1463684']
Wow, that looks amazing and really happy you got some classic cabs as they are on my radar. Not sure what the difference is tonally between a 10" or a 12" cab but I see EBS make both in the classic range. My only concern is with one cab, its only 125 watts which is not a lot although you do say its very loud. Looking foward to more info from you when you get the chance.
[/quote]

When i record a video review i'll do examples with just the 12", just the 10" & both.
They both sound great & hopefully with the recording you'll be able to hear the difference.
I've been through so many EBS cabs through my playing that i'd happily compare these classic cabs to the proline series. Just a little bit more old school sounding, but you guys can make your mind up when i post it :)

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1323463072' post='1463764']
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Come on, come on, get the vidcam out and get youtubing! :)

T
[/quote]

Aha, give me chance bud, not even had them 12 hours yet :)

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1323514994' post='1464052']
The 'mini' amps I've tried so far have been a bit disappointing. I've got an SWR Headlite which is pretty awful, it sounds nice but they're not been very honest with the specifications. The Shuttles that I've had have sounded awful, kind of like a wasp in a bottle, they've given me a headache in a very short space of time.
[/quote]
The Streamliner is definitely worth a try. It might just change your mind....

I hope the EBS sounds as good as I hope it does. I love their preamps...

Had a try of a working version yesterday, after the first unit they had in in Colchester was DOA.

First impressions were good. To my ears has the EBS tone with the glassy bright control, compressor good also.

Appear very loud for 250 Watts. I'm going back to try again today with my own EBS Proline 4x10. Also going to take in a Markbass LMII and my EBS TD650 so I can make better tone and volume comparisons.

Will let you know how it goes.

[quote name='ltswifty' timestamp='1323522582' post='1464163'] Had a try of a working version yesterday, after the first unit they had in in Colchester was DOA. First impressions were good. To my ears has the EBS tone with the glassy bright control, compressor good also. Appear very loud for 250 Watts. I'm going back to try again today with my own EBS Proline 4x10. Also going to take in a Markbass LMII and my EBS TD650 so I can make better tone and volume comparisons. Will let you know how it goes. [/quote]

I'd be very interested in hearing your comparison.

Ok, i've recorded a quick preview of the Reidmar. Please note it's only been di'd but it is post eq so your getting the sound from the preamp. Absolutely no processing has been added, it's simply Bass -> Amp -> Computer.

I'm recording the full demo hopefully tomorrow so should have it edited & up by the end of the week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMCaiFJ-MM

Ok, i've recorded a quick preview of the Reidmar. Please note it's only been di'd but it is post eq so your getting the sound from the preamp. Absolutely no processing has been added, it's simply Bass -> Amp -> Computer.

I'm recording the full demo hopefully tomorrow so should have it edited & up by the end of the week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMCaiFJ-MM

Did a comparison test on Sunday between the Reidmar, EBS TD650 and Markbass LMII, all going into a 4 Ohm EBS Proline 410 (not the cab I would use with it but, wanted a good 4 Ohm cab so I could just concentrate on the amp).

Volume wise, I tend to gig with the LMII just below half volume into 4 Ohms and half gain with the TD650 again into 4 Ohms (with 2 Ohm obviously need less gain).

I compared the volume of the Reidmar at half gain (input also half way up), and it was louder than either the LMII or the TD650 at the same settings. Must admit that surprised me, I don't know how that works out but that was what I found. So, for my playing needs, it is definitely loud enough. It still seemed to have quite a lot left in it, although I couldn't turn it up much further for very long as there were other customers in the shop and it was very loud.

Tone wise it's pretty close to the TD650, but is obviously missing the drive section. It has that glassy EBS top end, but the bright control offered a little less gain than the bright control on the TD650. 10 O'clock on the TD650's bright control seemed to be about the same as 2 O'Clock on the Reidmar.

Also, using the same bass, the input control has to be pushed up more on the Reidmar than the TD650 before the clip light comes on. So looks like the pre-amp gain might be a little lower.

Compressor functioned well, sounded the same as the TD650 compressor as far as I could tell.

The low end on the Reidmar seemed a little bloated/un-defined compared to the TD650. I found myself reducing the low frequencies, either on the bass guitar or on the Reidmar itself to get some low end definition back.

The mid frequency sweep on the Reidmar is centred at 600Hz, while the TD650 is centred at 400Hz. After I had noticed that (doh), I had no problem boosting the low mid the way I like it.

Dynamics wise the Reidmar did feel a little more compressed than the TD650, about the same as the LMII.

It looks well made, with a nice metal casing. It's made in China, but quality of construction and finish looked good to me. Carrying handle on the side may be of some use?

Overall I was pretty impressed, I shall be buying one.

Edited by ltswifty

[quote name='ltswifty' timestamp='1323697740' post='1465914']
Did a comparison test on Sunday between the Reidmar, EBS TD650 and Markbass LMII, all going into a 4 Ohm EBS Proline 410 (not the cab I would use with it but, wanted a good 4 Ohm cab so I could just concentrate on the amp).

Volume wise, I tend to gig with the LMII just below half volume into 4 Ohms and half gain with the TD650 again into 4 Ohms (with 2 Ohm obviously need less gain).

I compared the volume of the Reidmar at half gain (input also half way up), and it was louder than either the LMII or the TD650 at the same settings. Must admit that surprised me, I don't know how that works out but that was what I found. So, for my playing needs, it is definitely loud enough. It still seemed to have quite a lot left in it, although I couldn't turn it up much further for very long as there were other customers in the shop and it was very loud.

Tone wise it's pretty close to the TD650, but is obviously missing the drive section. It has that glassy EBS top end, but the bright control offered a little less gain than the bright control on the TD650. 10 O'clock on the TD650's bright control seemed to be about the same as 2 O'Clock on the Reidmar.

Also, using the same bass, the input control has to be pushed up more on the Reidmar than the TD650 before the clip light comes on. So looks like the pre-amp gain might be a little lower.

Compressor functioned well, sounded the same as the TD650 compressor as far as I could tell.

The low end on the Reidmar seemed a little bloated/un-defined compared to the TD650. I found myself reducing the low frequencies, either on the bass guitar or on the Reidmar itself to get some low end definition back.

The mid frequency sweep on the Reidmar is centred at 600Hz, while the TD650 is centred at 400Hz. After I had noticed that (doh), I had no problem boosting the low mid the way I like it.

Dynamics wise the Reidmar did feel a little more compressed than the TD650, about the same as the LMII.

It looks well made, with a nice metal casing. It's made in China, but quality of construction and finish looked good to me. Carrying handle on the side may be of some use?

Overall I was pretty impressed, I shall be buying one.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the review. That is so surprising that it was louder than the LMII. The LMII is 500 watts right and the Reidmar is 250 watts, How's that work then?

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1323698380' post='1465926']
Hey, thanks for the review. That is so surprising that it was louder than the LMII. The LMII is 500 watts right and the Reidmar is 250 watts, How's that work then?
[/quote]

I really don't know. It may be that the Reidmar runs out of steam quicker as you crank it above half gain. I couldn't really push any more it as it was already at the volume I use for playing live just below half way up and it must have been uncomfortable for the other people in the shop.

It took me by surprise also. Really didn't show signs of strain work at the volume level that I need.

It ran slightly warmer than the LMII, but still very cool.

Edited by ltswifty

[quote name='ltswifty' timestamp='1323699021' post='1465938']
I really don't know. It may be that the Reidmar runs out of steam quicker as you crack it above half gain. I couldn't really push any more it as it was already at the volume I use for playing live just below half way up and it must have been uncomfortable for the other people in the shop.

It took me by surprise also. Really didn't show signs of strain work at the volume level that I need.

It ran slightly warmer than the LMII, but still very cool.
[/quote]

The whole wattage rating figures thing just doesn't add up between brands to my eyes.

I also have a Genz Shuttle 3.0. it's meant to be 300 Watts into 4 Ohms, but it is nowhere near as loud as the Reidmar. I took the lid of the Genz Benz and saw it used a Bang Olufsen IcePower power amp, that has a maximum rating of 200 Watts into 4 Ohms from Bang & Olufsen's spec sheet. Great sounding amp, but power seems somewhat over stated ;-)

[quote name='ltswifty' timestamp='1323699548' post='1465949']
The whole wattage rating figures thing just doesn't add up between brands to my eyes.

I also have a Genz Shuttle 3.0. it's meant to be 300 Watts into 4 Ohms, but it is nowhere near as loud as the Reidmar. I took the lid of the Genz Benz and saw it used a Bang Olufsen IcePower power amp, that has a maximum rating of 200 Watts into 4 Ohms from Bang & Olufsen's spec sheet. Great sounding amp, but power seems somewhat over stated ;-)
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, I had a Shuttle 6 (500 watts @ 4 ohms) and then a Shuttle 9 (900 watts @ 4 ohms) and I was convinced that the Shuttle 9 was only a little bit louder. It sounded great but did not seems to be that much louder.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1323719973' post='1466273']
I thought that the RH450 was 450 watts ?

Am I missing something ?
[/quote]

Yeah. A US magazine bench tested it, and it only puts out 236w. They do some magic doohickery to it that makes it sound as loud as a 450w amp (killing the tone and dynamics in the process IMO).

Lots on Talkbass and a couple of threads on Basschat.

(Apologies to the OP for the hijack)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323722758' post='1466321']
Yeah. A US magazine bench tested it, and it only puts out 236w. They do some magic doohickery to it that makes it sound as loud as a 450w amp (killing the tone and dynamics in the process IMO).

Lots on Talkbass and a couple of threads on Basschat.

(Apologies to the OP for the hijack)
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about the hijack. I hadn't heard of this, but it just goes to show how manufacturers lie to us. I checked the TC website the other day, it clearly says that it's 450 watts. It's the same as the various cab manufacturers saying their cabs cover a certain frequency band, and go down to this frequency level when they don't.

I am certainly intrigued by this little EBS amp though.

Comparing amp's loudness at equal gain & volume settings is utterly futile - whichever has the greatest dB gain at that setting will win, not the one with the most power. By that method every old TE amp was way louder than my old SWR/QSC rack - but push both to clipping (which required much more knob turning on the rack) and the 3000W rack rig unsurprisingly left the 300W TE amp in the dust.

A Shuttle 9.0 is only 1.8dB more powerful than a Shuttle 6.0 - which is only a slight amount. It isn't like going from 50W to 350W, it's like going from 50W to 75W.

So if the Reidmar is an honest 250W it won't be much quieter than the other more powerful micro-amps, especially if their ratings are less honest.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1324412264' post='1474020']
Comparing amp's loudness at equal gain & volume settings is utterly futile - whichever has the greatest dB gain at that setting will win, not the one with the most power. By that method every old TE amp was way louder than my old SWR/QSC rack - but push both to clipping (which required much more knob turning on the rack) and the 3000W rack rig unsurprisingly left the 300W TE amp in the dust.

A Shuttle 9.0 is only 1.8dB more powerful than a Shuttle 6.0 - which is only a slight amount. It isn't like going from 50W to 350W, it's like going from 50W to 75W.

So if the Reidmar is an honest 250W it won't be much quieter than the other more powerful micro-amps, especially if their ratings are less honest.
[/quote]

Alex, I am so glad you joined this thread. I had a Shuttle 6 and moved up to a shuttle 9 and it really did not seem that much louder. Certainly not the massive just I was expecting so your explanation has cleared up why that was.

I was speaking to EBS about the Reidmar and they said it does not automatically limit the signal anywhere before the power amp which gives more headroom and preserved definition of tone even at high volumes, where as other class D amps [color=#000000]feature a built in limiter that reduce dynamics and limits and level out the low end at high volume, which makes the tone lose definiton - only to prevent the power amp from clipping.[/color]