Why become a member? ×

Tony Butler Signature Bass - Vintage V4MTB

TransistorBassMan

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1320265533' post='1424658']

Check the wholly appropriate bass solo at 4:34. That's the way to do it.

[/quote]

:)

Forgot that I actually really liked this band - never hear them on the radio these days. Only got their albums on vinyl - looks like an Amazon order on the way.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1320265533' post='1424658']

+1

Tony's a great player. Always loved Big Country.

He's one of those bassists who's got such a signature style and sound. One of those "do exactly what the song needs" players.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OycvimPi6Jg[/media]

Check the wholly appropriate bass solo at 4:34. That's the way to do it.

Think I'm wearing my kilt at the gig on Saturday.... :)

T
[/quote]

He's nicked my bass solo.................... :)

Excuse me as I haven't read all the comments so if anyones said this my apols..
Tony Butler is a fantastic player, great tone and lovely complimentary lines yet melodic and interesting. I recall him using fenders and musicman. so even if I wanted a signature model of his, its unlikely I'd buy a vintage edition as I don't recall my favourite stuff being played on one of those. Underrated player.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1320272811' post='1424796']

You missed out the bit where you tell us all how ugly the bass is, how awful it sounds and how it is based on a terrible design that has been outdated for years. :)
[/quote]

It is testament to Tony's great skill that he can make a bass as lame as a P bass sound good! In fact, he may be the only one who can.

Yes, seems that he regularly used both Arias in the early days. Have to agree that it's good that Tony has a signature bass. Back in 83 The Crossing had just come out and Tony did some fine bass lines which were inventive but not too difficult to work out and play. I remember teaching a friend how to play bass (he's still playing) and the 1st track I showed him was 'Chance' which he managed to get close to week by week! Think I'll dig out The Storm on youtube. A VERY early big Country with an early Trace. Thinking back, I loved this band.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvbhbGQjy6Y[/media]

Edited by markorbit

Funny, now I'm remembering an interview with Tony from back in the day.

He had just stopped using, I think, an Aria SB1000.

Reckoned it had too many knobs which would just get knocked and change his sound.
Hence the simplified setup mentioned above.

Had the good taste to use a wall of Trace as well IIRC.

The very first time I saw them (1983, I think) was at The Locarno in Glasgow.
This was before Turbosound PA made it big. It was all wave horns, Philishave mids and W bins.
Stacks of it all lashed together with ropes.

The following week, in the same venue, I saw Level 42 for the first time.~

Two great bass players in the same week.

• 1 month later...

i actually really like this, i have a soft spot for the black-black-maple thing, and then i checked out the bass solo (laughed so hard i stopped breathing), just for that i feel that i must own this bass!

i've actually played a few vintage guitars and they're excellent so this bass has just popped in very high up my want list, with an added j-pup it would serve me well when i don't want to use my 77.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Anyone else checked out the very favourable review in BGM? This bass is now on my hit list. Especially as it's 200 quid cheaper than a MIM Precision (if you shop around). Hardware and pickups seem to be decent, and probably better than stock MIM Fender.

I love the black and maple combo. Anyone who claims it's not original should try buying a black/maple P bass for under 250 quid.

I went to the college Tony taught at. It was weird him never actually playing anything, not even touching and instrument whilst i was there. He did comment at the 88 thumb bass i had at the time saying that he had one but he got rid of it cos it wasn't "rock and roll". Tbh i have never met a bass player with the arrogance of a lead guitarist. He does love himself a bit to much for a teacher as all his lectures revolved around what he did with Big Country. Which kinda put me off them.