Why become a member? ×

Ingenious? = 4x10 cab split

orangepeelneil

Though this was interesting, I have this exact cab and it is a pain at 40kg plus the handles are not central- so lifting it is a pig.

What do we all think? looks like the porting isn't compromised.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-4108-4-x-10-Bass-cabinet-split-/140629054379?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item20be2513ab#ht_1317wt_1346"]http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1317wt_1346[/url]

Neil

If that turns out to be structurally sound then with some extra work you should be able to choose to run it as a 2x10 or a 4x10.

But why stop there?

Get and 8x10 and split it into 8. All the gaps can be replaced if you want to run individually and you could build to application.

1x10
2x10
4x10
6x10
8x10

You could use the odd numbers (ie 3x10) too but that'd just be weird, but split into 8 anyway because:
-It's cooler
-Transport will be easier

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1320143961' post='1422751']
I just don't get why you wouldn't use two 2x10's. Especially since we (meaning alex clabber) have already established that they sound better vertically stacked than horizontally.
[/quote]

I think that the advantages of vertically stacked drivers was established long before Alex Claber...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320149730' post='1422862']
But if you could get this concept to work, the idea of an 8x10 "lego" cab which could easily fit in most cars would sell bloody quick IMHO. Especially if you could go out and buy 1 or 2 at a time relatively cheaply :)
[/quote]

Surely you're not saying someone should build [b]two[/b] boxes, each with four of the aforementioned 10" speakers in which can then be stacked on top of each other? To be sold seperately?
You're mad, it'll never catch on!

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1320153581' post='1422985']
lego cabs? i'd buy the set! if you could figure it out so you always got a 4ohm cab no matter how big or small it'd be AWESOME

all different colours too

i'm sorry - i think i lost touch with reality for a moment....
[/quote]

Lets do it!

And make cabs too :)

The best amp I own (for the cost and versatility) is a Line6 Studio110 (75w); however it could never replace my Hartke3500 or heads at that power. However, I have wondered about getting 2, 4 or more of them and running them as slaves, that way you have total redundancy if one of them fails (although mine never has). But then that probably not a great idea for a number of reasons.

The cab on the OP seems like a good way of improving that cab if you could risk destroying it, but just buying 2x 2x10s makes far more sense.

great idea if it is done well, but lets see if the resale value is seriously effected by it, even if so and the owner got his money worths during his ownership, then I suppose still a good idea

converting to 210s when you have a fairly low valued existing 410 cab is an expensive option