Why become a member? ×

Music Shops

lukeward2004

Hi Guys,

I was in a music shop in Reading the other day, I wont name which one, but I have to say it left me a little bit sour.

I saw a lovely Fender P Bass, think it was a 62 RI, in fiesta red with a Gold anodized plate, it looked amazing. I thought I would ask if I could give it a play, and the attendant merely looked at me and said "well, you're not going to buy it are you, so why bother?"

I responded with "well I wont be buying it if I get attitude like that will I? I wont buy it if i cant play it". The attendant begrudgingly handed me the bass and plugged it into a small bass combo, and I began to play it.

It sounded immense, the action was super low and slick, and I was at this point considering buying the bass there an then as it just ticked all the boxes that a P bass should tick. I was mighty suprised to find that the bass was a Mexican model, the quality of the build and finish was unlike any MIM fender ive played, so I thought "right, ill have it".

That is until I spoke to the attendant once more. I asked what the price was of the bass, and he said "£650 with a hard case", I thought it was a bit too steep for a MIM fender, and I asked the attendant why it was so costly as Mexican fenders dont tend to be that costly.

He said "Well look, I can tell you arent serious about buying this bass, and I knew when you walked in you where a time waster, so if you dont mind ill have the bass now to give it a good polish to get your grubby finger marks off it".

I simply stood up, handed the bass back, and said "good luck selling this bass with that attitude".

What the bloody hell does he think he can achieve by speaking to me like a piece of crap? Perhaps he wanted the bass for himself, but you can bet your bottom dollar I wont be shopping in there again.

Good music shops are definitely a thing of the past. After saving my pennies I was on the look out for a top end Precision Bass. All I have been met with is "we don't have anything in stock nor are we likely to get anything. We can order for you but it will take goodness knows how long". At this moment in time there is also apparently only one custom shop precision coming into the country from the states in the whole of april according to Fender UK. Even the internet shops are advertising basses they don't have in stock. So if you want a standard instrument then all may be well as long as stocks last. However, if you want something a bit special the shops seems to be too scared to stock anything high end anymore. I should say I am referring to Fender basses. I also notice a distinct lack of good used basses these days in guitar stores. Whose fault is it? The customer, the store, or ebay? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

That is pretty bad. If I were you I'd write a polite but firm letter outlining your experience and on how let down you feel as a customer (also this would help you release bit of steam). If you wanted to be extra cheeky, you could mention you were a moderator of a popular UK bass guitar forum, giving them a link to this page. You should give them the benefit of seeing how that attitude will affect their business, otherwise they'll never learn.

I wouldn't condone naming and shaming. However, if their reply was arrogantly rude... I don't see why not.

It's depressing to see guitar shops shoot themselves in the foot like this, especially in the face of an uncertain economic climate and increasing competition form online sales.

Edited by s_u_y_*

I work about 3 mins walk from Denmark Street and am always astonished at the appalling standard of service in most shops there.

Tried the "place for bass" recently because I was interested in a new pedal. Ok - so I wasn't spending big bass money but was happy to spend up to £200 for a decent Auto Wah.

First of all I had to "interrupt" the two people behind the counter to get any sort of recognition, shop was empty and they were nattering about where to go for lunch. Having got some attention they looked at me totally dismissively when I said I was looking for a pedal. Got some vague advice but they looked even more grouchy when I said I wanted to try each of the options before making any sort of choice, I'm sure they thought I should have just bought something off the shelf without trying.

One of them got the pedals out and, which I thought was a positive thing, asked what sort of bass and amp I had. However he lost it again really quickly when I said that I tended to play a Zon VB4 through a Euphonic most of the time. I got a "well, we don't have anything like that here" comment, a rolling of eyes and another dismissive glance shared with the other salesman.

He set me up with a Lakland & Markbass combo and it was quickly apparent which pedal was best. By this time the guy who'd been helping had gone off to lunch. Having struggled, for the second time, to get the attention of the other (non) sales person. I asked how much it was, cue quick rolling of the eyes yet again and he told me it was the most expensive of the three I'd tried and was about £160. Quickly followed by something about it was the pedal everyone would choose "if they could afford it".

There was a real implication that he thought I couldn't afford it and the whole process was a waste of his precious time. I really didn't want to give him my money and walked out of the shop.

Got back to work, checked the Guitar & Keyboard centre who I knew were good at delivering stuff & bought it from them instead. It was arather frightening £50 cheaper than Denmark Street and arrived in less than 48 hours with a nice email follow up to check I'd received it.

For the sake of a bit of basic civility and customer service that's another £100 gone to a dealer via the web.

I have heard some shop owners complaining that the web is wrecking their business but I've been to this place in Denmark Street before and never been treated with anything other than utter disdain. Seems a shame really, bit of basic customer service might mean that people would be happy to pay a bit of a premium for decent service.

One thing to add to this - I bought a tuner pedal in a store in LA last year. They couldn't have been more different. went out of their way to help, the guy serving was a guitarist who tracked down a bass player to ask specifically how the pedal he liked worked with a bass and the pair of them gave me great advice on both the operation of the pedal and how it would work in a live gigging situation. All done with a smile and a "hope it all works out for you - bring it back if you're not satisfied" attitude!

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='161929' date='Mar 22 2008, 07:31 PM']There was a real implication that he thought I couldn't afford it and the whole process was a waste of his precious time. I really didn't want to give him my money and walked out of the shop.[/quote]

I've felt this before at a few places. What I find is that I have to tell them I have a certain amount of money to spend and then proceed with my enquries. I find if you don't do that they usually won't give you the time of day. Sad... but true.

I should add to my earlier post that I have found a good few assistants in shops very helpful although the stock in the shop and the inability to order with confidence has tied their hands. Many are sympathetic and complain about their own shops policy. One even told me that he does a good deal of his shopping on the internet because he can not only get the goods he wants but he can get them cheaper even with his staff discount. I wonder if the accountants are driving the stock lists of stores? There are probably/hopefully good answers to these problems. Unfortunately the ordinary customer doesn't know them. There is however no excuse for rude and disinterested shop assistants unless the customer has given them similar treatment.

Name, shame and also write to the manager.

You don't owe the assistant anything. The guy doesn't seem happy in his job anyway.

Yeah, we all have bad days but he could have kept his gob shut too!

If he spoke to anyone in the street like that he probablly would get a slap.

There are some good ones around. I've always found the bass dept guys in GAK very helpful and enthusiastic and also Nevada in Portsmouth although they don't generally have a wide range of top end bass stuff.

I was looking for a 2008 Precision recently and after a similar sort of attitude from the assistants in Andertons in Guildford I tried Guitar Village in Farnham just on the offchance that they would have one and they did. Wow what a revelation!! The chap I dealt with was so friendly and helpful it was almost a pleasure handing over the (very large) wad of dosh.

Coincidentally they had one of those Red with anodised plate MIM Precisions in Guitar village and I was very very tempted to buy that instead of the USA made one. It was also about £200 less than the price that you've mentioned.

Edited by PaulMartin

It's very true. I don't like buying stuff without having tried it first, but there is seldom anywhere you can just go and try decent stuff out. Of the five major music shops in this city a few years ago, one has closed its bass and guitar section, one has closed altogether, one has shut half of the shop and rips you off at every turn, one is Sound Control so never has anything desirable at a decent price, and one continues as it ever has but deals only in vintage and second-hand gear. And this is Leeds, a city of nearly half a million people!

I'm increasingly using recommendations from people on here combined with occasional, furtive visits to the Gallery (blessed be the Gallery - can I get an Amen?!).

Music retailers are to blame for their own demise, but we all lose in the end.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='161893' date='Mar 22 2008, 06:27 PM']He said "Well look, I can tell you arent serious about buying this bass, and I knew when you walked in you where a time waster, so if you dont mind ill have the bass now to give it a good polish to get your grubby finger marks off it".

I simply stood up, handed the bass back, and said "good luck selling this bass with that attitude".[/quote]

I would have dropped it on the floor and walked out. Maybe muttering something like "better give it a set up too, tw@t".

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='161893' date='Mar 22 2008, 06:27 PM']I was in a music shop in Reading the other day, I wont name which one, but I have to say it left me a little bit sour.
....you can bet your bottom dollar I wont be shopping in there again....[/quote]
Why don't you tell us the name of the shop, then we can all give it a miss.

Reading all the above:- what a truly sad situation...

Talk about a self fulfilling prophecy, no shops, just online retailers.

Another point of human contact gone, more people staring at screens.

Fewer musos meeting up in music shops, passing the time together...

Another face of Modern Britain?

On the flip side I would mention again, The Guitar Shop in Worcester, owned and run by Stuart Field, a real top guy with some interesting stock and a great attitude. Nothing is too much trouble and he is a gigging musician so knows the score.

It is worth a trip to Worcester guys.

And I recently made a detour to visit Denmark street, and called in at the famous bass shop that was earlier mentioned, they could not have been more unhelpful, I sincerely hope they all go bust because that is what they so richly deserve, and that shop's like Stuart's pick up the business, because they deserve it.

The Guitar Shop
8 Friar St
Worcester, WR1 2LZ
01905 612539

Ask for Stuart

The reason Im not keen on naming and shaming is because I dont want to land the forum in hot water on the off chance any of the management happen to frequent the forum - we have had some estabilishments contact us about some comments mademon here pertaining to the reputation of said business, and although these are my opinions and do not reflect the board in general I would rather play it safe.

If i had the time or was terribly bothered I would write to them, but in honesty I will just avoid that place altogether.

I can never understand poor service in shops, I work in a shop part time and i find being friendly helps sales but makes me feel better, I really like having a day were I can banter away with a few customers about stock giving them advice and trying to get them the best deals possible. It is a camping shop i work in rather than a guitar shop but it is a similar scenario with stores being killed by the interenet and alot of staff members in other stores i frequent seemingly not giving a sh*t

Musical snobbery in my opinion, someone who works in a musical instrument shop that thinks they are far superior than the ordinary Joe that walks in off the street?

AND £650 FOR A MEX FENDER???? ARE THEY HAVING A FOOKIN LARF!! IT'D HAVE TO BE A GOLD PLATED HARDCASE FOR THAT PRICE LMAO

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='161893' date='Mar 22 2008, 06:27 PM']Hi Guys,

I was in a music shop in Reading the other day, I wont name which one, but I have to say it left me a little bit sour.

I saw a lovely Fender P Bass, think it was a 62 RI, in fiesta red with a Gold anodized plate, it looked amazing. I thought I would ask if I could give it a play, and the attendant merely looked at me and said "well, you're not going to buy it are you, so why bother?"

I responded with "well I wont be buying it if I get attitude like that will I? I wont buy it if i cant play it". The attendant begrudgingly handed me the bass and plugged it into a small bass combo, and I began to play it.

It sounded immense, the action was super low and slick, and I was at this point considering buying the bass there an then as it just ticked all the boxes that a P bass should tick. I was mighty suprised to find that the bass was a Mexican model, the quality of the build and finish was unlike any MIM fender ive played, so I thought "right, ill have it".

That is until I spoke to the attendant once more. I asked what the price was of the bass, and he said "£650 with a hard case", I thought it was a bit too steep for a MIM fender, and I asked the attendant why it was so costly as Mexican fenders dont tend to be that costly.

He said "Well look, I can tell you arent serious about buying this bass, and I knew when you walked in you where a time waster, so if you dont mind ill have the bass now to give it a good polish to get your grubby finger marks off it".

I simply stood up, handed the bass back, and said "good luck selling this bass with that attitude".

What the bloody hell does he think he can achieve by speaking to me like a piece of crap? Perhaps he wanted the bass for himself, but you can bet your bottom dollar I wont be shopping in there again.[/quote]

Hiya,
I live in Reading & I would recommend Guitar Works in Market Place. The staff there are absolutely superb & treat customers with a [b]lot[/b] of respect (even my missus, & she doesn't play a musical instrument - she's bought me a few things in there). I'm sure they could order in a decent Fender P bass at a decent price.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus