Why become a member? ×

Aaaaargh - Broken Arm

bassace

got kicked by one of the wife's horses yesterday afternoon. left arm broken so no double bass for at least six weeks and three bands will have to find deps for a total of 15+ gigs.

when i get playing again my fingers will be all soft so i'll have to go through the blisters thing. aaaaaargh.

yours in lower case.

Bad luck, swift recovery! But... 'one of the wife's horses..? Chipping Norton..? Oxfordshire..?'
Do you know Dave, Rebekah and Jeremy by any chance..? :)

PS: You should make a claim against the missus immediately!
[url="http://www.national-accident-helpline.co.uk/claims-calculator/?s=google&gclid=CISpva6y-asCFYob4Qod8G_1lA"]http://www.national-...CFYob4Qod8G_1lA[/url]

Edit for ridiculous premise.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1319186887' post='1410876']
Bad luck, swift recovery! But... 'one of the wife's horses..? Chipping Norton..? Oxfordshire..?'
Do you know Dave, Rebekah and Jeremy by any chance..? :)

[/quote]

i've seen them around. i was standing next to jc in the fish and chips queue the other day. miserable and scruffy individual. and aesthetically challenged ? top gear must have a very good makeup person.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1319202986' post='1411241']
Silly question maybe, but I've never broken a limb - just how painful is it?
[/quote]

nor me previously, cos. it's ok until i try to rotate my wrist then it's agony. also the sling weighing on my neck is a bit painful but overall the whole thing is ok. it's just bloody frustrating not being able to do many things that i used to take for granted. and, of course, no gigs; that hurts. and you will notice i can't do caps.

Roger, really really sorry to hear this ... and I can't even offer to dep for some of those gigs!

Are you plaster-casted up to your elbow, or do they have a more user-friendly solution these days? Out in time for Xmas?

I was trying to think of a musical instrument which could be played with one hand, and all I came up with were harmonica (badly) and piano (sort of). Not good.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319204013' post='1411280']
I was trying to think of a musical instrument which could be played with one hand, and all I came up with were harmonica (badly) and piano (sort of)
[/quote]

Most of my DB lines could be played on open strings with my right hand only!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319204013' post='1411280']
I was trying to think of a musical instrument which could be played with one hand, and all I came up with were harmonica (badly) and piano (sort of).
[/quote]

Most brass instruments, excluding trombone.

There was also the late lamented Dave Brady, who only had one arm but played concertina and guitar with great panache.

Sorry to hear your news Roger and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Horses are nasty bad tempered things!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1319204078' post='1411282']
What about the pink oboe? :)
[/quote]

how dare you, sir. be more discreet in future.[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319204013' post='1411280']
Roger, really really sorry to hear this ... and I can't even offer to dep for some of those gigs!

Are you plaster-casted up to your elbow, or do they have a more user-friendly solution these days? Out in time for Xmas?

I was trying to think of a musical instrument which could be played with one hand, and all I came up with were harmonica (badly) and piano (sort of). Not good.
[/quote]

thanks, hj. yup, right up and round the elbow and it's quite heavy. slept quite well last night and when i woke up i had to invent a whole new wardrobe of one-armed shirts. i had a dutch nurse who did me up and she was quite gorgeous. we had the what do you do/play the double bass conversation and she told me that her son played the cello. she could tell what mood he was in by the way he played. very nice.