Why become a member? ×

The Chain

Kinder

We were asked to play this at a formula 1 fans birthday. After struggling with it for a couple of weeks and failing to do it justice we told them we couldn't do it.

The only real playable, usable and recognisable bit of it is the bass riff in the middle. I think the rest of it is really good it's almost like 2 tunes bolted together.

Rumors is one of my favourite albums and sold massively (I believe).

The chain was in fact 2 songs joined together, Stevie Nicks had the vocal Part and Lindsay Buckingham had the instrumental part, but on their own, neither warranted inclusion on the album, so they bunged em together and voila! At least thats how I recall the 'Classic Album' series on TV relating it.

It's difficult to say, there are plenty of otherwise average songs where the bassline really makes the song, or that the song would not be the same without the bassline, I'm thinking Billie Jean, Hit me with your rhythm stick and various jamiroquai tracks here.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1318628563' post='1404711']
Bought Rumours when it came out and would subscribe to the school of thought that there's not a duff track on it.
[/quote]

I don't wanna know' ??

That's filler if ever I heard it. Silver Springs was supposed to be on but was replaced by 'I don't wanna know' because of the time limitations of vinyl or in-band feuding between the songwriters due to personal spats - whichever you choose to believe,

I have to agree with WoT that the whole song is great, first half (non-F1) section is as good as the 2nd half. We used to cover it (putting a twist on it) and when you get to the chorus you can really let rip and do stuff with it, especially if you have imaginative musicians that can go with the flow and use a bit of imagination.

Great song start to finish. Seem to remember they often used the main part of the song in adverts to help sell the album. Ta for the vid above. Both Nicks and Bucks voices are on form in that. Raw, emotional and goddam sexy as hell!

Edited by merello

[quote name='Kinder' timestamp='1318624618' post='1404645']
On a looooong train journey and listening to Fleetwood Mac. Made me think that The Chain is a pretty average song rescued by a fantastic bass break. Feel free to disagree but are there any other crap songs saved by great basslines?
[/quote]

The Chain is so very, very far from 'average'! I know it boils down to opinion and whatnot, but nothing that came off Rumours was average. In fact it was brilliant from start to finish.