Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters: what's good?

ficelles

I'm in the mood for something envelope filter-ish... used to have a Line 6 Filter Pro which was great fun at home but just too complex for live, any suggestions as to a nice bit of menu-free kit to try? Looking for something with lots of knobs to twiddle rather than a mass-produced one-trick stomp box...

ficelles

Source Audio BEF Pro with a Hot Hand is a top contender at the mo...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUQZvwRyptE[/media]

I want one.

& for Low Pass Loveliness & swells the Moog MF-101...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlxSVIq2gU

I've got one :)

Edited by xgsjx

Actually was checking out the Soundblox / hot hand stuff online the other day... looks interesting but not sure about the whole controller thing. I'll have a think though as the demo is impressive... love the Moog kit though, it's so retro it's almost cyberpunk :)

ficelles

My favourite envelope filter is the EMMA DiscumBOBulator. I also dig the Boomstick
Bottom Feeder.
If you want something different,check out the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser-either the EP-1
or the EP-2 (I use the EP-1). It's a great envelope filter but it's also a great phaser-you can
get some really cool sounds out of it.

+1 for the Boomstick Bottom Feeder. I have one of the early versions when it was the ToneFactor 442 Red. I would also recommend the original Musitronics Mutron III, the Subdecay Proteus and Prometheus, and the Maxon AF-9. The AF-9 is really Mutronish and will get you in the ballpark for a lot less money. Another cheap and cheerful one to try out would be the DOD FX25. Really cool pedal. Out of the list I've given, the only one I don't currently own is the AF-9, and the only reason for that is that I have the Original Mutron. Although if one came up cheap I'd probably nab it anyway!

In case you can't tell....I LOVE Envelope Filters :)

+ 1000 for the Musitronics Mutron III, I have come to the conclusion that no other filter sounds as good as this one and it is so good that the only other one on my board that is getting any use is the Agent 00 Funk Mark II which I use into the Brown Dog for synthy type sounds.

The Mutron is so good though that when rehearsing a tune the other day and needing a 70's/80's type funk synth bass sound I just switched the drive from up to down and wow there is the sound in spades!

Yes they are expensive but I assure you it is the only filter that you will ever need.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1318778187' post='1406071']
+1 for the Boomstick Bottom Feeder. I have one of the early versions when it was the ToneFactor 442 Red. I would also recommend the original Musitronics Mutron III, the Subdecay Proteus and Prometheus, and the Maxon AF-9. The AF-9 is really Mutronish and will get you in the ballpark for a lot less money. Another cheap and cheerful one to try out would be the DOD FX25. Really cool pedal. Out of the list I've given, the only one I don't currently own is the AF-9, and the only reason for that is that I have the Original Mutron. Although if one came up cheap I'd probably nab it anyway!

In case you can't tell....I LOVE Envelope Filters :)
[/quote]

i picked up a micro q-tron at a good price (ie cheaper than anything else) and i'm really pleased with it -

pros:
small
batteries last forever
1/3 of the price of anything else i found that wasn't complete crap
funk at the push of a button :)

cons:
it's a bit all-or-nothing with the drive setting
not hugely versatile - out of the 3 main settings i've only really found one setting thats usable for what i do
can boost the volume significantly when engaged