Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

[quote name='retrohelix' timestamp='1318814962' post='1406519']
chavs referring to the act of relaxing as "jamming"

"easy bruv, wanna go n jam at chantelle's?"
"yeah safe blud, i'm on that jamming ting"
[/quote]

Yes. Lets jam at Chantelle's, and CHILLAX while were there. BLOOORGHH!!!... Sorry, non muso. Just gets me in a rage.

Edited by billyapple

Dunno if it's been mentioned already (haven't read full thread) but people calling strings 'wires'.

Slightly off-topic was punter mis-pronounciations of brand names and kit designations. For instance, I've heard (many times) of a Flanger being called a 'Flang-er', Westone basses got called 'West one' and my favourite from the '80s was hearing the little [url="http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh101.php"]Roland SH-101[/url] being referred to as a 'Roland Shee-oh-ee'. Bless 'em all.............

When I was at uni I tried to teach a friend how to play guitar - I was going through the basics and had referred to the 'frets' a few times before he corrected me and said "[b]threats[/b]; it sounds stupid when you turn 'th' into 'f'...". He was a lost cause...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1318840199' post='1406587']
A female counterpart of mine who often sits in my living room (where my rig lives), still think it's "Mark's Bass"
[/quote]
The current mrs discreet calls it 'Mark's Bass', too. I don't mind, though.

Mark

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1318839663' post='1406581']
Dunno if it's been mentioned already (haven't read full thread) but people calling strings 'wires'.
[/quote]

[Think of this as an embedded image of the sleeve of XTC's Drums And Wires]

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1318850929' post='1406758']
[Think of this as an embedded image of the sleeve of XTC's Drums And Wires]
[/quote]
OK... (makes huge effort) hnnngggggg! It's working!

Edit to remove the words buttock and clenching.

Edited by discreet

A couple based around my recent purchases

"What the hell is a 'Shadow Sky'(Sadowsky), can't you afford a Fender? The Squiers are quite good"

"I want to get a Musicman Stingray, not a cheap knockoff like that guy" (Points at my SRay with Status Graphite neck :) )

And from a compulsive liar who I knew when I was younger

"Yeah, "Squier" is my old stage name, and Fender did a limited edition run for me" (Not kidding, and refused to be called a stupid lying git!)

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1318512066' post='1403124']
Kettle leads have been called kettle leads for donkeys. I sort of like calling them kettle leads even though I've always known they don't fit kettles. Though that's probably I why I like the term. If I'd have not known that and tried to power a kettle with one in an emergency, I'm damn the phrase and chastise it's use.

"Power lead" is just so non-descript and has nothing going with anyone having to drink cold cup-a-soup.
[/quote]

Played a concert with a friend about 7 years back. Power lead failed. Went to kitchen borrowed kettle lead and it works.. that's why it's called that by most.. These days most have the cordless.. even though they still have a cord..(don't get me started on that)

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1318859073' post='1406966']

Played a concert with a friend about 7 years back. Power lead failed. Went to kitchen borrowed kettle lead and it works.. that's why it's called that by most.. These days most have the cordless.. even though they still have a cord..(don't get me started on that)
[/quote]

Done that a lot.

Oh, and people shouting 3,4 at the obsessive 1,2 mic testers. You have never been funny. And don't get so upset when I shout p*ss down the mic for it's wonderful sibilants, it is the best soundcheck word ever.

Oh, and this wasn't your mate was it?
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Squier"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Squier[/url]
(I have some of his albums, they're quite good, Fender never did him a limited run though)

Re: things you say while mic testing..

I used to live next door to a mosque in Sudan (long story) and before the call to prayer they would test the mic by tapping and saying 'Wahed, Wahed'. Which is Arabic for 1, 1
Used to make me smile in the small hours of a Friday morning.. :)