Why become a member? ×

The time to get your P-bass is NOW

Guest MoJo

Basschat and Bassworld before it used to be overflowing with questions about 'What exotic wood should I have my Single-cut Shuker made from?"
Recently I have noticed a growing trend of folks saying "I'm thinking of getting a Precision" and I can only see the demand increasing, so I think that the time to grab your instrument of fundamental simplicity is NOW before market forces push the prices up to silly levels.
I took my P-bass to rehearsal last week (I normally play a Yamaha BB415 with both pick-ups full on). It's only a (decent) copy but has that classic sound. Uninspiring on it's own but has the unerring ability to drive any band. The smile on our guitarists face said it all. I have Andy at Wizard Pick-ups building me a 'Thumper' for it as we speak. Once installed, I shall be in P-bass heaven.

Mark

[quote name='bassman2790' post='161391' date='Mar 21 2008, 12:57 PM']Recently I have noticed a growing trend of folks saying "I'm thinking of getting a Precision" and I can only see the demand increasing, so I think that the time to grab your instrument of fundamental simplicity is NOW before market forces push the prices up to silly levels.[/quote]

Funny you should say that... :)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='161395' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:07 PM']Funny you should say that... :huh:[/quote]

And courtesy of the good Paul C, yours is now ready and waiting for you sir :)
And it is gonna be hard for me to let it go as well!
Chris

I got my second hand MIM Precision last October after a full on month at work picking up everybody's dropped shifts. It set me back £200 including a flightcase and postage. Spent a couple of months slowly modding it as and when I could afford it (this was also the build up to Christmas), put on a Badass II, Duncan Quarterpounder (I know not everyone cares for them) and a black scratchplate and it's my main bass now. Nothing I can fault about it really, it's a proper 'plug in and play' bass, no fannying about with multiple pickups and active electronics :)

Can't get enough of mine-I just bought a beautiful, as new Ibanez AGB-200 semi acoustic, it's gorgeous, but I played a gig on Saturday and didn't even take the Ibanez with me-played the P all night. The wide neck and the finish on the 2007 maple neck just does it for me-only thing I am seriously considering is a sticking a new pickup in it-the Wizard Thumper has definitely caught my eye.

My first (good) bass was a P bass back in 1982. Moved onto Jazz/Ray type stuff in about 1985. Bought a MIA P bass last year - had a bit of an epiphany moment and I don't think I'd be without one now. The one and only 'plug n play' bass.
Regarding values, I'd agree. Last year I think (for CIJ, MIA) prices were pretty low, reckon they've moved about +10-15% since then. More modern stuff seems to be a bargain at the mo (assuming it ain't a classy 'copy' e.g. Lakland).

[quote name='Beedster' post='161632' date='Mar 21 2008, 10:54 PM']I'm missing it already mate :)[/quote]

I drove straight to my tech. in Leicester... couldn't resist.

He's gonna sort out the action & mend the black s/plate...

I'm not surprised you're missing it... bloody gorgeous bass!

I just can't wait to play it, I know we're going to have fun.

& it's just about the most awesome bass I've ever had :huh:

Used my P-bass-a-like on a recording yesterday and it whipped the pants of my BB415. Brighter and punchier.
The engineer didn't need to use any EQ, just a little compression to tighten things up.

I can't believe it for a bass that cost so little. :)

That pick-up configuration just seems to work so well. Cuts through any mix. Looks like the Yamaha may be making it's way to that auction site we all know and love (to hate) :huh:

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='161635' date='Mar 21 2008, 11:03 PM']I drove straight to my tech. in Leicester... couldn't resist.

He's gonna sort out the action & mend the black s/plate...

I'm not surprised you're missing it... bloody gorgeous bass!

I just can't wait to play it, I know we're going to have fun.

& it's just about the most awesome bass I've ever had :)[/quote]

would that be Bob?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='163041' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:24 AM']Go on, just one... :brow:[/quote]

Well, actually, there is one I may let go of..... purely to clear some debts..... a natural LX4..... let me know if you're interested! :)