Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Bastard 550 - it's here!

franzbassist

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1318266983' post='1399895']
Just look at this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxbFwmXAi0."]http://www.youtube.c...?v=wSxbFwmXAi0.[/url] That's the head of marketing and artist relations. Soooo embarrassing and just not how you build a brand.
[/quote]

I know I'm quoting myself here, but you really should take a look at this Ratneresque example of how to wreck your company image. In the first few seconds of this YouTube presentation to a global audience, this senior company representative says "Ashdown..... errrrr.... Engineering" as if has forgotten the full name of his company. This load of cobblers should be shown at marketing courses as a warning. I can't believe they haven't pulled it by now. It shrieks: "We know nothing about quality at this company. We're just a bunch of greasy-haired amateurs."

Then take a look at the simple and slick TC Electronics videos and weep.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1318301132' post='1400268']

I know I'm quoting myself here, but you really should take a look at this Ratneresque example of how to wreck your company image. In the first few seconds of this YouTube presentation to a global audience, this senior company representative says "Ashdown..... errrrr.... Engineering" as if has forgotten the full name of his company. This load of cobblers should be shown at marketing courses as a warning. I can't believe they haven't pulled it by now. It shrieks: "We know nothing about quality at this company. We're just a bunch of greasy-haired amateurs."

[/quote]
Hopeless.

One of the amps is 'Pretty good', apparently. Another is sold on the fact that its innards are the industry standard configuration for a valve amp.

I wonder if he designs the cases as well?

I'm sure he's a lovely chap, though.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1318301132' post='1400268']

[/quote]

Methinks that Dan is unlikely to get the push anytime soon! :) He's got a lot to learn and big boots to fill.

Look guys, Ashdown have produced a mixed bag of kit over the years - who hasn't? The thing is that they keep trying, and kudos to them for doing so. Not being stuck in a rut, forcing the boundaries and listening to customer feedback is all a part of the development process. Sure, they could go on knocking out the same old stuff for yonks and having folk describe it as "classic", but they don't.

I like the brand. I like some of the kit they make (and choose to own it). I like the way that they "think bass gear" instead of "think modified guitar gear". Not sure on the LB550, though I'll reserve judgement until I've had a go. The differentiation between stuff made in Essex and stuff made in China leaves me exasperated. I hate the "Little Bastard" moniker and think that it detracts from their image, though I love the concept. However, the quality is generally to a standard and you can get a decent sound from it (and if you can't, walk on).

[quote name='Jondeeman' timestamp='1318316895' post='1400307']. Not being stuck in a rut, forcing the boundaries and listening to customer feedback is all a part of the development process.
[/quote]
So.. when are Ashdown going to become part of this 'development process'?

We've waited a while now...

:)

I've had good and bad with Ashdown. The opposite to some on here: Bad with the ABM and good with MAG cabs.

When Ashdown first began, everyone saw them as the new Trace Elliot cos they kind of were in a way and because how many people loved Trace and how good they were, I think some longed for the golden age of the Series V stuff to return, albeit in a modified and improved form.

The Superfly amps were brilliant as a concept but I read too many topics of failures occuring and when the Little Giant came out people were wary as there were still Superflys with outstanding issues so how could this new model possibly be reliable and worth buying?

They need a new product that will get them talked about again in a good way. The more people speak highly of them, the more people will buy them and bring their brand back up again.

I think Rob Gallien has done that with the MB series combos, more on Talkbs than here, as it has made people aware of the brand and if they don't but one of those, there is a good chance they will look at their other ranges giving them more exposure for what was already a highly regarded, reliable brand that no one really spoke about that much despite having great products.

hopefully enough people will buy this or one of their other newer models and have good enough experiences to start talking about them again

Edited by Delberthot

Looks nice, albeit expensive at £719!

The [b]Ashdown Little Bastard LB-550 Bass Amp Head[/b] is a Limited Edition Bass Amplifier Head, only 50 handmade heads built in Ashdown's UK Custom Shop will be available. The LB-550 features a new version of the much loved LB 30 pre-amp with added Gain control coupled with the 550 watt digital power section from the MiBass; resulting in stunning valve bass tone in a loud lightweight compact head.

The Little Bastard LB-550 preamp stage employs ECC83 and ECC82 tubes and features High and Low gain inputs, front panel-mounted Effects Send and Return, rotary gain, Bass, Middle and Treble controls with Mid Shift, Bass Shift and Bright switching, Mute switch, rotary Volume control, balanced DI output and of cource, Ashdown's much loved VU meter. The Little Bastard 550 head partners perfectly with a range of Ashdown US Series cabinets.

Each Little Bastard LB550 head will be numbered 1-50 and come with a Limited Editon certificate signed by designer Dave Green and Ashdown MD Mark Gooday.

MB1. :)
Little Bastard?
Surely thats a BIG Bastard?

Indeed, when I had a Trace, Ashdown were lurking and started to become very popular. I never liked the VU meter...ever.

I think with their knowledge, they could dominate the UK market because we wouldnt have to pay higher prices with them being based here. Orange seem to have mastered it. Simple, loud, toneful bass amps.

There is always the nod towards 'british tone' when it comes to crunch and valve tone, so they should just play on this.

Scrap the old image, leap into 2011 with a new concept.

The Mibass amps again seem to need a makeover/design facelift.

Wow the Ashdown bashing is back then, can't believe people are still slagging off the superfly, if people think back this was best part of 10 years ago and one of the if not the first programmable class D micro bass amps out there, Ashdown themselves have said the technology wasn't quite there yet and hence the issues(although I know a lot of bass players out there who have been gigging SFlys for years with no probs at all) like all companies not everything they make is going to be a hit but at least they are constantly trying new stuff for us bass players and then all some guys do is say 'I HATE that logo' or 'that guys jacket sleeves are too long'! Blimey give em a break they are by all accounts a family company and I doubt have the resources of a company like TC but still on the whole produce great products that we should be proud of rather than just bashing. Mark Gooday has spent 25 years building us cool stuff from the early days of Trace to now and deserves a bit more than some of the wild posts on here, in my opinion of course...

And people who say things like MAG cabs are 'built to a price' etc of course they are that's why they are the low prices people pay for them! People seem to want to pay £200 for something and expect it to perform as a £1000 cab. It's like buying an Audi A1 for £12k and then complaining it's not as good as an R8.... You get what you pay for and Ashdown offer different products at different price points for a reason, yes a MAG cab won't be as good as one of their UK made Classic Cabs hence they are a third of the price but I've always found when I've used MAG bits in the past they are infact great for what they cost and perfect for someone who needs to put a cheap but decent rig together when they get going. Just my 2p anyway I'm sure I'll get shot down but hey as an Ashdown user for over 10 years(with no issues) I thought I should try to stick up for them a bit.

The Ashdown bashing does seem to come on strong, and i'll hold my hands up and say i've been part of it before. I'll say i've been hit and miss with Ashdown, i just don't like their Cabs, the ABM and Classic stuff i've liked some of (the Classic stuff is actually great! to those who doubted but thats all down to each person what you like) and similarly the MAG stuff i had for a while i didn't really rate the cab, seemed a bit lifeless to me, but i was expecting something i shouldn't have! They do a smaller than many tonal pallate and it seems that pallate doesn't appeal to masses but i found some really awesome tones which just weren't right for me but definately great (I used the MAG rig to record a Mastodon tribute thing, as i found it could sound very very similar to Troy Sanders stuff!)

I'm actuallying looking into getting an ABM head at the moment, their heads seem better than their cabs to me, IMHO.

Definately agree with Delberthot!

hmm, i have to agree, at first i thought, oooo, but after a second glance and closer look it just seems wrong and echoing previous comments, cheap
like its trying too hard to be quirky

although saying that i've never been overly fond of ashdown heads, just something about them.

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318327135' post='1400496']
then all some guys do is say 'I HATE that logo' or 'that guys jacket sleeves are too long'! [/quote]
I have no opinion on jacket sleeves, but the size of a company has no bearing on putting effort into making its product look decent. Some of the best looking stuff out there is produced by small companies. And some of the worst looking stuff by the biggest.

As for 'constantly trying new stuff' - they keep releasing stuff after the ship has sailed.

Anyone care to point out the difference between this and the Spyder 550? I'm presuming it's the same power stage, tho the Spyder has (I think) the Drophead pre. Is there much difference?

I loved the sound, but it didn't beat my RH450 as an overall package (size and weight had a lot to do with it) so it went.

Gotta say I quite like the styling (if they did it right - those labels are cack for an amp on the north side of £700), tho the 'bastard' thing got old very quickly some time ago, and is embarassing now.

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318331378' post='1400600']
Lol just goes to show how different we all are eh, but important to remember this aswell, lots of companies make stuff that isn't for me(Ashdown included) but that doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else...
[/quote]

+1.

There were quite a few posts on this forum when LB first came out, from people saying they just wished it had a bit more under the hood. So, a few months later here we are - exactly what some people seemed to be asking for. They've responded to specific feedback and they still get slagged off. They can't win. Personally I'm not keen on the looks or the name of this one, but thats just me. I still wish them luck with it. The world might be a better place if more companies could do some short-run development, rather than mass producing a limited range. Hopefully they don't take this forum too seriously, and carry on doing what they're doing.

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1318332490' post='1400625']
There were quite a few posts on this forum when LB first came out, from people saying they just wished it had a bit more under the hood. So, a few months later here we are - exactly what some people seemed to be asking for.
[/quote]
I think people were hoping for a larger tube power stage. The disappointment is possibly because it's a class-D power stage, which dumps it right into the middle of a very competitive market.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1318332631' post='1400629']
I think people were hoping for a larger tube power stage. The disappointment is possibly because it's a class-D power stage, which dumps it right into the middle of a very competitive market.
[/quote]
Fair enough. But there's always room for one more eh? They've only made 50, so its not done for market share. Hopefully 50 people will want one - cos its exactly the spec that they want - and everyone will be happy. :)

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318327135' post='1400496']
then all some guys do is say 'I HATE that logo' or 'that guys jacket sleeves are too long'!
[/quote]
Come on phatbass, you are missing my point - and that expressed by others.

How can we as consumers take a company / brand seriously when a senior figure within the company represents the product so poorly? If that video shows the type of quality effort that they put into their marketing and presentation (a crucial element of any company), then we should expect that they have the same lack of quality and and attention to detail in their production process. Indeed, I echo the observation that the knobs and buttons on that amp are labelled poorly.

Compare this video
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oTjzNFUugU[/media]
from TC Electronic. Done on the same kinda basis - on the fly at a show - and you will see the additional forethought and planning that has gone into it. Much more useful information. Higher quality individual promoting their products. And that guy's first languange isn't even English. You also wanna look at TC Electronic's product videos (an example below). Come on Ashdown. Up your game.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/tcelectronic#p/u/0/-quHmuX6Jwg"]http://www.youtube.com/user/tcelectronic#p/u/0/-quHmuX6Jwg[/url]

Edited by mercuryl

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1318334792' post='1400670'] Come on Ashdown. Up your game.
[/quote]
How can you improve on this?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_mNY56Hsc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_mNY56Hsc[/url]

I know it sounds like I'm picking on Ashdown, and maybe I am - but they're bordering on comical. IMO.

I agree with you. I have a couple of Ashdown cabs, which had potential but were clearly built down to a price and could have been so much better.
[/quote]

And if they had been 'so much better' I'm pretty certain they would've cost more. That's what building to a price means. I have a couple of MAG cabs and for the price I think they're superb. Slightly more expensive than the likes of Behringer, but miles better. Despite this at under £300 they're not going to be up there with top end cabs are they?

Whatever you think of their products, Ashdown have a real brand image problem now. You just can't go on serving up shoddy, unreliable and unfixable products for years without paying the price. And their marketing efforts are laughable, too. Just look at this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSxbFwmXAi0."]http://www.youtube.c...?v=wSxbFwmXAi0.[/url] That's the head of marketing and artist relations. Soooo embarrassing and just not how you build a brand.
[/quote]

A real brand image problem?! They're the biggest selling bass brand in the UK with a huge roster of pro players - they must be doing something right. People are perfectly entitled to dislike them but how conceited is it to believe they have an image problem just because [i]you[/i] don't like them!?

I find people's heavy criticism of Ashdown bizarre at times. In my experience in retail, selling 3 or 4 times more Ashdown gear than any other bass brand you'd expect to see more back with faults but we had no more returns than any other equivalent brand and price point. Compared to Orange which were a total nightmare, cheap build and inflated prices - it was like two ends of the spectrum, yet Orange seemingly can do no wrong on this forum.

Tone-wise amongst buyers ABM was nearly always favoured over solid state/hybrid equivalents such as Ampeg, SWR and the MAG stuff over Hartke and Marshall.

End of the day it's horses for courses; I know players who swear by Ashdown and those who aren't keen on it. Personally, I'm not overly taken by this new amp, I think their 550 head represents better VFM, but it's amazing how some people have a bad experience, think they make too much product or take a dislike to the VU meter or a youtube vid and all of a sudden the gospel according to whoever thinks the majority of what they do is poor quality and they have an image problem. Which in reality, judging by how successful the company is, couldn't be further from the truth could it?

Edited by danhkr

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1318337104' post='1400728']

And if they had been 'so much better' I'm pretty certain they would've cost more. That's what building to a price means. I have a couple of MAG cabs and for the price I think they're superb. Slightly more expensive than the likes of Behringer, but miles better. Despite this at under £300 they're not going to be up there with top end cabs are they?

A real brand image problem?! They're the biggest selling bass brand in the UK with a huge roster of pro players - they must be doing something right. People are perfectly entitled to dislike them but how conceited is it to believe they have an image problem just because [i]you[/i] don't like them!?

I find people's heavy criticism of Ashdown bizarre at times. In my experience in retail, selling 3 or 4 times more Ashdown gear than any other bass brand you'd expect to see more back with faults but we had no more returns than any other equivalent brand and price point. Compared to Orange which were a total nightmare, cheap build and inflated prices - it was like two ends of the spectrum, yet Orange seemingly can do no wrong on this forum.

Tone-wise amongst buyers ABM was nearly always favoured over solid state/hybrid equivalents such as Ampeg, SWR and the MAG stuff over Hartke and Marshall.

End of the day it's horses for courses; I know players who swear by Ashdown and those who aren't keen on it. Personally, I'm not overly taken by this new amp, I think their 550 head represents better VFM, but it's amazing how some people have a bad experience, think they make too much product or take a dislike to the VU meter or a youtube vid and all of a sudden the gospel according to whoever thinks the majority of what they do is poor quality and they have an image problem. Which in reality, judging by how successful the company is, couldn't be further from the truth could it?[/quote]

+1 Well said