Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Bastard 550 - it's here!

franzbassist

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1318337104' post='1400728']A real brand image problem?! They're the biggest selling bass brand in the UK with a huge roster of pro players - they must be doing something right.
[/quote]
I have a feeling their market share is shrinking, though. People just don't talk about them like they used to.

As for a huge roster of pro players... so they offer a lot of endorsements. Who doesn't want free gear?

I would 100% disagree with any comments regarding Orange and 'cheap build'. The British made equipment not only sounds stunning, (and quite 'original' as in has a tone Orange are becoming quite famous for)but the aesthestics and quality are hands down brilliant, even for the price point.

I don't own a Bass Terror, but I do have a guitar Dual Terror, and despite it being a low-priced low-ish wattage guitar amp, the construction is great. Sure, the decal might (I cant remember) not be 'printed' onto the metal, but at least the design is there. The Terror series have been massively sucessful, for guitar and bass, and it is because they are so simple, and with a great tone.

I would always, on another point, pick Hartke over Ashdown. Great price, great tone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1318339044' post='1400784']
I have a feeling their market share is shrinking, though. People just don't talk about them like they used to.

As for a huge roster of pro players... so they offer a lot of endorsements. Who doesn't want free gear?
[/quote]

Apparently they give nothing away free, and that came from a couple of endorsees I've met, one particularly high profile.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318340280' post='1400803']
I would 100% disagree with any comments regarding Orange and 'cheap build'. The British made equipment not only sounds stunning, (and quite 'original' as in has a tone Orange are becoming quite famous for)but the aesthestics and quality are hands down brilliant, even for the price point.

I would always, on another point, pick Hartke over Ashdown. Great price, great tone.
[/quote]

So because they sound good and are aesthetically pleasing, that makes the build quality good? What odd logic. The AD200B is just a printed circuit board based amp, differing little inside from a mass-produced far-eastern made example yet it's astronomically priced at around £1400. At least something like the Marshall VBA 400 which is also PCB based, gives you twice the output, proper wired output valve bases away from the PCB and is around £200 less.

I'd happily consider the view that if the tone is right, perhaps the above doesn't matter too much particularly if you look after your gear, but the price should reflect this and the volume of returns and faulty orange valve gear I've experienced in retail and in bands suggests otherwise. Sadly Orange are very expensive cheap amplifiers.

Edited by danhkr

I quite like the look of this, although the chrome knobs do make it look a bit cheap, they should've stuck with the same ones as on the 30w modelThey also should have called it the Fat Bastard or Big Bastard. Wonder if they've done this because they released a bigger version of its sister amp, the Hayden MoFo 100, albeit that was released a while ago, but who knows.

Liam

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318340280' post='1400803']I would 100% disagree with any comments regarding Orange and 'cheap build'. The British made equipment not only sounds stunning, (and quite 'original' as in has a tone Orange are becoming quite famous for)but the aesthestics and quality are hands down brilliant, even for the price point.[/quote]

See I would say exactly the same about Ashdown. Thing is these are our opinions and always makes me laugh when people get all shouty because they feel everyone should agree with their opinion... For example I can't stand the looks etc of Markbass, puts me off right from the start BUT I know others like em so you'll never find me posting along the lines of 'Markbass haven't a clue - they need to get rid of those silly yellow speakers etc' because after all beauty in in the eye of the beer-holder eh...

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1318343213' post='1400860']

So because they sound good and are aesthetically pleasing, that makes the build quality good? What odd logic. The AD200B is just a printed circuit board based amp, differing little inside from a mass-produced far-eastern made example yet it's astronomically priced at around £1400. At least something like the Marshall VBA 400 which is also PCB based, gives you twice the output, proper wired output valve bases away from the PCB and is around £200 less.

I'd happily consider the view that if the tone is right, perhaps the above doesn't matter too much particularly if you look after your gear, but the price should reflect this and the volume of returns and faulty orange valve gear I've experienced in retail and in bands suggests otherwise. Sadly Orange are very expensive cheap amplifiers.
[/quote]

Virtually all modern all tube amps are PCB. I know purists prefer the 'real thing', but the tone difference is ...what...nothing?

The Ampeg CL is horrendously expensive, and yet its built overseas, with the same technology as the AD200b. Difference is, the AD200b is noticably more 'distinct' in its drive, and certainly better for my tone goals.

No offence to Marshall, but I wouldn't touch a Marshall for bass, ever. Don't really like Marshall guitar amps if im honest.

Watts and volume are not a concern for me with a full tube amp...especially anything over 100W.

Yes, Matamp can build great PTP high quality tube amps, but is the tone exactly what Im looking for? Not sure, but I'd only look at Orange and Matamp from now on.

The Orange cabs are big heavy tone monsters. They are built like a tank, heavy, but excellent tone. Very well finished and constructed. The attention to detail is excellent.

I bought my Orange gear 2 years or more ago before they became very popular again, and I didnt have to pay £1300-1400 for the amp. I would still think £1300 for the AD200b is reasonable, especially compared to the Ampeg CL.

The customer service is another major point. Orange (particularly Neil) have an excellent reputation in this country.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318345084' post='1400897']

The Orange cabs are big heavy tone monsters. They are built like a tank, heavy, but excellent tone. Very well finished and constructed. The attention to detail is excellent[/quote]

Just on this point are you aware that Orange and Ashdown both use the same woodshop for their UK cabinets in Maldon Essex? Have you played a UK Ashdown cab? Mine are UK Neo cabs and absolute monsters for tone and power.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1318337104' post='1400728']
And if they had been 'so much better' I'm pretty certain they would've cost more. That's what building to a price means. I have a couple of MAG cabs and for the price I think they're superb. Slightly more expensive than the likes of Behringer, but miles better. Despite this at under £300 they're not going to be up there with top end cabs are they?
[/quote]

Of course they would have cost more. But I didn't say anything about building to a price (and yes, I know what that means, thank you) but building down to a price. I don't have the MAG cabs, I have the ABM ones - the top of the range. So they should be up there with top end cabs but they're not because Ashdown skimped on the bits you can't see. I've no reason to believe the latest ABM range is any different. You're a MAG cab user, eh? Miles better than Behringer - well that's great. You must be very happy.

What exactly is Ashdown's market share, by the way?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1318345084' post='1400897']

Virtually all modern all tube amps are PCB. I know purists prefer the 'real thing', but the tone difference is ...what...nothing?

The Ampeg CL is horrendously expensive, and yet its built overseas, with the same technology as the AD200b. Difference is, the AD200b is noticably more 'distinct' in its drive, and certainly better for my tone goals.

No offence to Marshall, but I wouldn't touch a Marshall for bass, ever. Don't really like Marshall guitar amps if im honest.

Watts and volume are not a concern for me with a full tube amp...especially anything over 100W.

Yes, Matamp can build great PTP high quality tube amps, but is the tone exactly what Im looking for? Not sure, but I'd only look at Orange and Matamp from now on.

The Orange cabs are big heavy tone monsters. They are built like a tank, heavy, but excellent tone. Very well finished and constructed. The attention to detail is excellent.

I bought my Orange gear 2 years or more ago before they became very popular again, and I didnt have to pay £1300-1400 for the amp. I would still think £1300 for the AD200b is reasonable, especially compared to the Ampeg CL.

The customer service is another major point. Orange (particularly Neil) have an excellent reputation in this country.
[/quote]

I agree most modern amps are PCB made, but the better ones don't mount poweramp valves straight on the board. It's a real cheap quick fix and is notoriously bad for faults and expensive repairs. If a company does it, it should be reflected in the price regardless of tone. This goes for Ampeg too ([i]and[/i] Ashdown if their valve gear is the same - I've never seen theirs).

Shame on Orange because they could mount the valves on proper bases and still be predominantly PCB based, yet increase the durability and QC tenfold. Knowing what I know they'd still make a fortune selling it for £1400, but like many companies these days, it's all about marketing and making money rather than truly supplying a quality made product. It's just sad that the price suggests it is something that its not, especially when Matamp would probably hand build you a similar amp properly for similar money.

I'm not a marshall fan either, but the VBA is a monster. I'd recommend anyone at least give it a go, and like I say it [i]is[/i] built to higher standards but for less money. Personally I resent Orange, Ampeg etc for that.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1318347090' post='1400943']

Of course they would have cost more. But I didn't say anything about building to a price (and yes, I know what that means, thank you) but building down to a price. I don't have the MAG cabs, I have the ABM ones - the top of the range. So they should be up there with top end cabs but they're not because Ashdown skimped on the bits you can't see. I've no reason to believe the latest ABM range is any different. You're a MAG cab user, eh? Miles better than Behringer - well that's great. You must be very happy.

What exactly is Ashdown's market share, by the way?
[/quote]

ABM cabs aren't top of the range, but my main cab is an ABM 610 and it's really good. Perhaps theres something better out there for the same money, I don't know, but I tried mine and the 4x10 up against Ampeg, SWR and Hartke equivalents (all more expensive barring the Hartke) and it was superior to my ears. My MAG cabs are spares and rehearsal cabs and they're great, really nice and punchy, although not as good as the ABM. The comparison to Behringer was because of the similarity in price ie. [i]for not a lot more than a Behringer you can get a really good usable cab.[/i]

I've has my ABM 300 for 10 years now and it's a great head and never has a problem with it. Since having the Streamliner however the ABM is now a spare as the Genz is just better !
I also don't fancy having an amp that's called a bastard......
I like Ashdown though but unless they bring out something better than the Streamliner I won't be changing.

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1318542545' post='1403672']
If they are going to use the car thing they should at least get it right. The Ford 427 cubic inches engine that was used in the Mustang, Cobra etc was the Big Block. The Small Block came in 260 to 357 cubic inches.
[/quote]

Maybe its you who should get it right mate? [url="http://www.promarperformanceengines.com/street-strip-engines-ford-427-CI-smallblock-windsor.asp"]http://www.promarperformanceengines.com/street-strip-engines-ford-427-CI-smallblock-windsor.asp[/url]

Ashdown are probably referring to the GM Chevrolet 427 big block. Fords big engines never seemed as popular with hot rodders as Chevy big blocks, although if Ashdown [i]really[/i] knew their American V8's they would have called their most powerful amp the '426 Hemi', made by Chrysler.

I agree about the cheesy graphics though.

Yes, I don't think this new one, the dual tube range or the all-valve stuff looks as smart as the ABM and BTA stuff. That old 'script' font that everyone was using in the early 90's is pretty naff. Firm believer though that it aint what an amp looks like, it's how it performs and despite what people say, Ashdown's MAG and ABM stuff is pretty-much the industry standard at those price points.

Edited by danhkr

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1318616162' post='1404494']
I think there was a 454 hemi as well.

They must have gone some to get 427 cubes out of a small block. But then Ford dont do the big block any more. Same as Caddy probably dont do the 500!
[/quote]
Yeah the Fords went up to about 460 with the bigger blocks but they were mainly used in trucks and boats. You can still get massive Hemi's based on the old Chrysler - something stupidly big like 600ci - used in top fuel dragsters, but I don't think anyone does anything much over 300ci for road use now, especially an iron block overhead valve V8.

Funny thinking 427ci (7 litres) being like an ultimate muscle car capacity equating with a 400 Watt valve amp head. Are Ashdown telling us their 427 is the ultimate 'Muscle Bass' Head???

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe I've just read 4 pages of reply's and not one person has mentioned how the amp SOUNDS. Lots and lots of it looks crap, it looks cheap, it looks this, it looks that. As a bass PLAYER I don't care if it looks like a steaming turd if it sounds great. So I'm with MB1 on this one.... Has anyone heard or played one?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1333087639' post='1597065']
It'll sound very similar to the Ashdown 550 spyder. Check the Ashdown youtube video demo. Gareth/Walbassist did one too. Same preamp but class D power amp.
[/quote]

And I shot this one for the LB30 yesterday...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjuLMqgk4Qk[/url]