Why become a member? ×

Donald Duck Dunn Precision - a real quacker ;-)

KiOgon

[font="Calibri"]I fancy building/putting together a replica Duck Dunn CAR Precision - not a MIJ or a Laklustre - as close to original (like Duck played way back when) as possible.[/font]
[font="Calibri"]Having trouble finding much about it though, could do with some help please. Any pictures or info appreciated.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]Thanks,[/font]
[font="Calibri"]John[/font]

Yup - a quick trawl through Google Images confirms that there are no photos of him out there more than, say, 10 years old which show him playing a CAR Precision. Even the B&W shots from the 60's make it pretty clear that he's mainly playing a 3TS.

I read a few years ago that the original CAR "Duck Dunn" bass wasn't founded on any bass he was actually associated with, but was Lakland's idea of the bass he would probably have wanted to play had it been available [i]back in the day[/i].

If true, then this is an absolutely wonderful example of marketing bullshit.

All of which said, I loved my Lakland DD. Far from being lacklustre, it was actually a bass with a bit of character.

I watched the Blues Brothers again recently and he plays a couple of basses in there, one of which was a 3TS with what looked like a J neck. Perhaps a bit of freeze-frame is in order.

Have to agree with Jack that the Lakky DD is a fine bass with great character, just perhaps the wrong colour.

I've always associated Duck with the sunburst/gold/rosewood P that he played on the '67 Stax/Volt tour of Norway and that the candy apple red was something more recent. I remember in Bassist Magazine, when the Fender Duck Dunn came out (around 1998), he said he wanted a bass as close to the 50s P-bass with the gold anodised scratchplate but with a CAR finish. Also in the article, when asked about the CAR P with the Jazz block neck, he said he hated that bass!

If you want his STAX sound and look, you could (depending on budget) pick up the sunburst Fender American Vintage '62 Reissue and putting a gold anodised scratchplate on it. How awesome does he sound here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_mKy-a6d1I[/youtube]

According to the interview with Duck in the Dec "94 issue of Bass Player, his "58 P bass was long retired and he was playing a red "67 Precision with a Jazz neck of a similar vintage with a Rosewood board and block inlays. He said "I pick up the bass with the Jazz neck when I need a little speed...." and confirmed it was strung with flats. This is the bass that the signature models were based on. The i/v says he was also playing a US RI "57 P bass with a "71 neck (also a RW board) and that this was strung with rounds.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input guys, so maybe it's just a dream bass I'm chasing then :) The Stax/Volt 67 video is great, not seen that before.

So if I was to get a '57 body resprayed CAR with gold plate & a '62 r/w neck, mmmm-mm, a winter project maybe :)

Cheerz, John

BTW - I definitely won't be breaking my AVs for the parts :)

Sounds like a great winter project, John.

I also found a programme from the "93 Clapton Blues tour which shows Duck holding the bass. It has a white/black/white scratchplate which I prefer with CAR - my Sadowsky is in that colour scheme. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318021762' post='1397478']
That is a GREAT clip ... thanks very much.

Really good to see DD in non-laid-back mode. He looks like he's had maybe one coffee too many.

Some awesome facial hair in the audience too.
[/quote]

And some excellent smoking