Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1318078165' post='1397863']

:)

That's brilliant, I actually wanna hear the song now!
[/quote]
Sadly you wont get the chance to hear it (neither will anyone else for that matter). The person who made that statement is no longer in the band.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318081349' post='1397907']
I don't really understand this thread.

If you think some of your band mates are numpties, then why are you playing in a band with them?

Shame on them for being idiots. Shame on you too for putting up with it.
[/quote]
Because.. it`s so difficult getting over the initial setup and integration of a bunch of musos that it always seems easier to try and "improve" what you have rather than start afresh with another possible numpty.
There is almost always a weak member in every band.
I`m guilty, I think the keys player is a lazy ignorant sloth who thinks he`s a decent quality session player and so doesn`t need to waste his time actually learning anything..
He never knows the tunes, has admitted he wont spare time to learn the songs outside of rehearsals, and doesn`t know how his kit works.
When he doesn`t know the part/song, he busks on a piano sound in a "house" style, filling all possible gaps with clutter.
[i]But,[/i] the drummer and singer are excellent, they have regular work and I`m working on improving the keys setup via midi/proper patches and gentle hints about multi layering etc.
So it`s a work in progress which to my mind is better than scanning the joinmyband ads every day looking for the perfect situation.

• Like 1

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1318075879' post='1397844']
"lets do this gig (in a shithole | 100 miles away) - it pays really well"
[/quote]

Yeah, I mean why put up with shithole venues when you're only getting money and exposure to a whole new audience out of it?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318081349' post='1397907']
I don't really understand this thread.

If you think some of your band mates are numpties, then why are you playing in a band with them?

Shame on them for being idiots. Shame on you too for putting up with it.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm out of step, but I thought this thread was quite funny. I think we all realise that we've been a pain in the whatsit ourselves sometimes. Stones and glass houses etc.

Fiddle player: "oh not another gig at The H*****y H***e, its a dump"
Me: "Maybe, but they like us there and the money's good"
Fiddle player: "Can't you get us any better gigs?"
Me: "No, but you can from now on. I look forward to playing all those 5 star hotels and huge festivals"

3 months later.....

Fiddle player: "I've got us a gig....Someone from church wants us for a party. No money, and there's no alcohol allowed but we can help ourselves to the buffet. Oh, and can they use our (my) PA for the disco? It'll be fun, they only want us to play for 25 minutes"

From guitard in an old band while setting up at a pub gig:

Guitard: "I've forgotten my guitar stand, did you bring a spare?"
Me: "Why would I bring an extra guitar stand?"
Guitard: "Just thought you might. Did you bring the PA, the pub doesn't have one" Note: We didn't own a PA, we borrowed or hired as needed.
Me: "you didn't tell me to bring a PA - if you knew that there wasn't a PA, why didn't you tell me yesterday?"
Guitard: "I just assumed that you'd bring a PA in case we needed one."
Me: I have to bring my bass rig, 3 basses and 3 stands, why would I bring a PA unless I had to?"
Guitard: "Oh, you've got three stand - have you got a spare?"

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1318192395' post='1399116']
Fiddle player: "I've got us a gig....Someone from church wants us for a party. No money, and there's no alcohol allowed but we can help ourselves to the buffet. Oh, and can they use our (my) PA for the disco? It'll be fun, they only want us to play for 25 minutes"
[/quote]

Sounds like you need to show this idiot the door....

Drummer: I've got us a gig at the Lakeside Club Cabaret Restaurant. I told them we're a pop covers band.

Me: WTF? We're a hardline Blues band that does 50% originals. They'll f***ing hate us. Best call 'em back and and blow it out.

Drummer (Sulks): But it'll be a great gig. We're going on after the comedian and they've got a revolving stage.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318202686' post='1399251']
[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1318192395' post='1399116']
Fiddle player: ";I've got us a gig....Someone from church wants us for a party. No money, and there's no alcohol allowed but we can help ourselves to the buffet. Oh, and can they use our (my) PA for the disco? It'll be fun, they only want us to play for 25 minutes"
[/quote]
Sounds like you need to show this idiot the door....
[/quote]

yes, with a spade :)

ps:
Am i the only one here who has no idea what 'summer of 69' or '500 miles' are ? and is this a good thing?

Edited by daz

Singer: I think we murdered that song tonight ([i]struggles to sing in key of the song and blames everyone else except himself - temp too fast, temp too slow, bass too loud, dont like the lyrics, too much drumming, not enough reverb on my vocals, not enough reverb in the monitor.....[/i])

Me (in my head): Who's we? Your not playing an instrument, you did not write the tune, you did not write the lyrics, you are not involved in this song in any way shape or form, except to murder it with your depressingly flat vocals.

Our singer.... "but we do it for the enjoyment........................................!!"

This after a two hundred mile drive, playing for 45 minutes, waiting four hours for him to finish brown nosing the other bands and the organiser, a two hundred mile drive home, arriving home at five thirty in the morning, and earning the princely sum of £15!!!

I have the noose ready :)

"I've hired some pyrotechnics" - percussion player in former band.

Yep, it's a great idea to hire pyrotechnics for a venue with a low ceiling. BANG... FLASH.... KERBOOM..... Are the audience enjoying the sight of a band obscured by smoke from the knees up as much as I'm enjoying lungfulls of the said smoke? I can laugh now... then all I could do was turn my lungs out.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318021961' post='1397480']

Pah! I can top that.

2nd September, playing the George IV in Chiswick, at the end of the first set a punter (who had been watching me pretty carefully) came over and pointed at my Alleva Coppolo KBP5.

"Hey mate, is that a Peavey?"
[/quote]

You should keep a Peavey on a stand to pan people on the bonce with if they ask such questions. Can they not read the headstock ?!

ps: Im hoping theres going to be one of the Alleva Copolo KBP[b]4[/b] at bass day.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318231098' post='1399315']
"Hired some pyrotechnics"?

Do you have to put the flash and the smoke back inside before you return them? :)
[/quote]
You surround the used pyro 'bomb' with non-smokers. All the smoke then congregates around them. Turn on the special vacuum pump and away you go. The flash is more difficult. It requires 30+ all with lighters and mirrors, reflecting the light onto the top of the used bomb. Accuracy is essential, as any stray light gives a leakage path. Whip a fresh top back on, and screw it down. Easy.