Why become a member? ×

First gig in 3 years

thunderbird13

So after all the hassles with bands I'm finally getting to play a gig this Sat, its a charity event so its pretty relaxed and we're a 5 piece playing very standard rock covers . So far so good only a few problems ;

We've only had 1 full rehearsal,
The singer has never sung in public before
The guitarist has changed the key to 2 of the songs after the last rehersal,
The other guitarist has included a song he wrote which I havent been able to learn because I havent got a recording of it but he assures me we'll wing it .
Oh and the drummer has assured me that he'l keep the guitarist under control as at the last gig he was so drunk that he fell asleep half way through the second set.

So nothing to worry about then :)

The weird thing it I'm not nervous ( well not yet anyway )

Thanks for thinking of her - she started riding her horse again last week so recovering well - although she is wearing a terminator style sports knee brace! I honestly thought she would still be using a walking stick until next year so I'm very proud of her (she is very determined with her physio exercises every day). So all good thanks :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1317386715' post='1390190']
So after all the hassles with bands I'm finally getting to play a gig this Sat, its a charity event so its pretty relaxed and we're a 5 piece playing very standard rock covers . So far so good only a few problems ;

[b]The guitarist has changed the key to 2 of the songs after the last rehersal[/b],
The other guitarist has included a song he wrote which I havent been able to learn because I havent got a recording of it but he assures me we'll wing it .
Oh and the drummer has assured me that he'l keep the guitarist under control as at the last gig he was so drunk that he fell asleep half way through the second set.

[/quote]
Why has the guitarist had to change the key of two songs? Why not all of them? Or none of them? Weird...

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1317386715' post='1390190']

The guitarist has changed the key to 2 of the songs after the last rehersal,

[/quote]

Hey that's excellent! :)

The stuff you know and have already rehearsed will be just fine.
As for the new track, just keep it simple and stick to the root if you're feeling out of your depth with it.
I reckon the guitarist will be more disciplined this time round - nothing like missing half the set to focus the mind :)

Right, thanks for the interest, it was certainly an eventful evening

Since it was a charity gig to raise money for kid having an operation there were a couple of other things going on. The original idea was that we would play for an hour about 10 O'Clock but due to speechs and the like we didnt get on until 11. Played 6 songs which we managed to make last a hour and there was one member of the audience who was so drunk he kept coming up and hugging the singer and playing air guitar in front of the guitarist but that in itself was no big problem. We took a break and were then went back to play another set, By the end of the second song there was a scuffle in the crowd which very quicky turned into a full scale pub fight. At this point was stopped playing and the guitarist singer saw one of his friends getting punched so he decided to get involved. leaving the rest of us standing there looking like idiots. After 10 minutes of shouting and shoving the crowd was pushed out of the pub and the shutters pulled down where we could here more fighting and glass being smashed outside. Had a drink in the pub then we loaded the cars out back and drove off.

So not entirely sure I can say our first gig was sucessful :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1317587649' post='1392186']
Right, thanks for the interest, it was certainly an eventful evening

Since it was a charity gig to raise money for kid having an operation there were a couple of other things going on. The original idea was that we would play for an hour about 10 O'Clock but due to speechs and the like we didnt get on until 11. Played 6 songs which we managed to make last a hour and there was one member of the audience who was so drunk he kept coming up and hugging the singer and playing air guitar in front of the guitarist but that in itself was no big problem. We took a break and were then went back to play another set, By the end of the second song there was a scuffle in the crowd which very quicky turned into a full scale pub fight. At this point was stopped playing and the guitarist singer saw one of his friends getting punched so he decided to get involved. leaving the rest of us standing there looking like idiots. After 10 minutes of shouting and shoving the crowd was pushed out of the pub and the shutters pulled down where we could here more fighting and glass being smashed outside. Had a drink in the pub then we loaded the cars out back and drove off.

So not entirely sure I can say our first gig was sucessful :)
[/quote]

Sounds like the kind of gigs I used to do. Happy days. :)