Why become a member? ×

Does a left-handed version of a bass need to be different to a RH bass, other than be a 'mirror' image?

Born 2B Mild

Is a LH version of a bass needing to be any different in any way to a RH version, other than be a 'mirror' image?

Please forgive my obvious ignorance in this matter, but as I make a positive attempt to include left-handed basses in my ordering of instruments, I have been wondering if makers do anything different to the design, and if they don't ...should they?

Phil

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1317400026' post='1390430']

They have to turn both ways like on a RH instrument.

I don't think I've ever tried a lefty instrument but I probably would expect the pots to turn the wrong way :)
[/quote]
Pots are easily wired whichever way you like, bit like a left handed tea cup really :)

I have never really understood why anyone plays left handed you know? If no one had ever made one or played one upside down and for devils advocates if they were the other way round in the first place we would all just be the same way up. Can you get a left handed piano with the low notes up the other end? Any item that can has to be operated with similar levels of skill from both hands should just be one way round IMO. I will grab my own coat......

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317402217' post='1390468']I have never really understood why anyone plays left handed you know? If no one had ever made one or played one upside down and for devils advocates if they were the other way round in the first place we would all just be the same way up. Can you get a left handed piano with the low notes up the other end? Any item that can has to be operated with similar levels of skill from both hands should just be one way round IMO. I will grab my own coat......[/quote]

There have actually been pianos that were made left handed. I get your point though, you don't get left handed cellos or violins (that's because they all play in a row in an orchestra so you would have someones elbow hitting your face if they were playing the other way round) and plenty of left handed people are fantastic at playing them.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1317412593' post='1390600'] That'd work for linear pots but how about log pots?[/quote]

I should imagine they're still going to be symmetrical since you are still in effect taking a signal from one input and putting it out to one of 2 places.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317402217' post='1390468']
I have never really understood why anyone plays left handed you know? If no one had ever made one or played one upside down and for devils advocates if they were the other way round in the first place we would all just be the same way up. Can you get a left handed piano with the low notes up the other end? Any item that can has to be operated with similar levels of skill from both hands should just be one way round IMO. I will grab my own coat......
[/quote]

I've called you a taxi.... I personally cannot physically hold or play a right handed instrument,it's leftys or nowt.And I'm not left handed.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1317416011' post='1390638']
... you don't get left handed cellos or violins (that's because they all play in a row in an orchestra so you would have someones elbow hitting your face if they were playing the other way round)
[/quote]
I use a knife and fork left handed and I've had the elbow problem.

I think we've gone a bit off-topic guys - and the lefthanded debate has been covered several times in my time as a member (a little over 2 years) - usually winding up as a slanging match between those who get it and those who don't.

To answer the OP's question, there's no musical reason why a lefthanded instrument needs to be anything other than a mirror image of a righthander. To be picky, the pots issue is simply a part of the mirror image thing - some of you may need to think about that one for a while. (The lefthanded equivalent of a log pot is an antilog pot I believe.) If the manufacturer gets it correct it should all feel and work the same only the other way round.

Generally speaking Japanese and English makers (especially bespoke luthiers) are best at this, and American makers are historically the worst - hopefully they've improved since I last bought an American instrument.

Oh, and there is one other thing about lefthanded instruments that you might like to think about - they usually cost more - which is a bad thing!

Hope this helps.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1317423711' post='1390725']I think we've gone a bit off-topic guys - and the lefthanded debate has been covered several times in my time as a member (a little over 2 years) - usually winding up as a slanging match between those who get it and those who don't. To answer the OP's question, there's no musical reason why a lefthanded instrument needs to be anything other than a mirror image of a righthander. To be picky, the pots issue is simply a part of the mirror image thing - some of you may need to think about that one for a while. (The lefthanded equivalent of a log pot is an antilog pot I believe.) If the manufacturer gets it correct it should all feel and work the same only the other way round. Generally speaking Japanese and English makers (especially bespoke luthiers) are best at this, and American makers are historically the worst - hopefully they've improved since I last bought an American instrument. Oh, and there is one other thing about lefthanded instruments that you might like to think about - they usually cost more - which is a bad thing! Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks for this and all other OT posts. I'm going to make 2012 the year of the Lefty, judging by the forward orders I've got/placing for LH basses!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1317423711' post='1390725']
Generally speaking Japanese and English makers (especially bespoke luthiers) are best at this, and American makers are historically the worst - hopefully they've improved since I last bought an American instrument.
[/quote]

The last time I tried to order some; about 4 years ago, Encore do make left-handed speed knobs, numbered 10-0 rather than 0-10, though Gibson, who they copied them from, don't.
(Or at least if they do/did, they won't supply as spares.)

Edited by Big_Stu