Why become a member? ×

New Basschat Features

ped

Well, i guess i may be the only one, but this site is now so slow loading pages, that its become a complete frustration. The previous site
pages loaded in a flash, and there was nowt wrong with it from my own POV.

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1316522095' post='1379078']
Well, i guess i may be the only one, but this site is now so slow loading pages, that its become a complete frustration. The previous site
[/quote]
As I have said a few times now, it's because the back end needed updating because the old software was unsupported for spam detection etc. It may well have been fine from a user's perspective.

WIth the massive traffic we have had, the site is taking a while to catch up and get up to speed.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1316522095' post='1379078']
[/quote]
Nah you're not the only one. I'm sure it'll be fine in a couple of days though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316522758' post='1379098']
Very slow for me as well but i understand why.
[/quote]
Me too. Adding a little message to the header at the top of the page ('The site is currently running slowly - please bear with us') would help spread the word and ease frustration, I think...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316522902' post='1379099']
Me too. Adding a little message to the header at the top of the page ('The site is currently running slowly - please bear with us') would help spread the word and ease frustration, I think...
[/quote]

And help keep the notifications at bay.

OK Ive had a good look round and all is well and good work and all that so only three suggestions, one I know someone else has pointed out:

1. Everythings a bit 'spaced out' and could be tighter. It makes going places and finding things easier. For me anyway.
2. The sub headings was a good thing since it helped you get a better feel for whats inside.
3. That light grey colour for the bulk of the text is getting a bit hard to read and makes navigating hard work.

Every thing else is an improvement.

That is all

A

Not had time to read through this thread, as I'm just about to eat my tea, but it does look like a fresh improvement in design. Very well done!

There are 2 minor issued for me though - the fonts in general are a bit too big (which adds to the spaced out look mentioned above) and the grey fonts need to be a shade or 2 darker.

Apart from the intermittent slowness, it's all good so far!!

D.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1316527513' post='1379212']
2. The sub headings was a good thing since it helped you get a better feel for whats inside.
[/quote]

I kniw what you mean, but I like the option to preview a thread - the black blob with the down arrowon it that appears near the middle of the screen when you hover over a thread, lets you see the first and last posts.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1316527513' post='1379212']

1. Everythings a bit 'spaced out' and could be tighter...

[/quote]

For those lucky enough to have massive screens this probably isn't an issue, but I have a little laptop and have to do shedloads of scrolling to peruse the "fora". In spite of having crappy 50+yr old eyes and needing reading glasses, I find bold but smaller fonts easier to see and scan. Tighter with smaller font size would definitely be better!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1316557144' post='1379779']

For those lucky enough to have massive screens this probably isn't an issue, but I have a little laptop and have to do shedloads of scrolling to peruse the "fora". In spite of having crappy 50+yr old eyes and needing reading glasses, I find bold but smaller fonts easier to see and scan. Tighter with smaller font size would definitely be better!
[/quote]

....pretty please!

Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but this site just isn't working for me. :)

I am getting so many notifications that I'm just bulk deleting them unread (just zapped another 132) and haven't got a clue what's going on anymore.

It's taking me upwards of 40 seconds to load a page then the same again If I want to post a reply (even on a 5600Kbps ADSL link).

The upgrade itself seems to have been performed smoothly by the BC tech guys, but the product itself leaves a bit to be desired... :)

I'm going to jump ship for a little while and pop back in a week or two and see if things work any better.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1316569625' post='1379875']

I am getting so many notifications that I'm just bulk deleting them unread (just zapped another 132) and haven't got a clue what's going on anymore.

It's taking me upwards of 40 seconds to load a page then the same again If I want to post a reply (even on a 5600Kbps ADSL link).

The upgrade itself seems to have been performed smoothly by the BC tech guys, but the product itself leaves a bit to be desired... :)

I'm going to jump ship for a little while and pop back in a week or two and see if things work any better.
[/quote]

Speed is now up to the speed of the previous site, but we were doing some work on the attachment system and as a result there was a bit of slow time as it was being fixed.

RE notifications. I tend to keep track of my threads using the new and improved 'new content' area, where I can select 'threads I started' or 'Threads I participated in' and go to first unread post as normal. Notifications I have for email and if I'm quoted, and sometimes I'll turn them on if I post something which isn;t likely to have 19 pages of replies, like a random thread asking for help notating a track.

Once you tailor it to your needs it's really useful. Can I suggest turning them off altogether and looking at 'new content' area instead for now, as that's a good place to start.

Cheers

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316590200' post='1379929']
RE notifications. I tend to keep track of my threads using the new and improved 'new content' area, where I can select 'threads I started' or 'Threads I participated in' and go to first unread post as normal. Notifications I have for email and if I'm quoted, and sometimes I'll turn them on if I post something which isn;t likely to have 19 pages of replies, like a random thread asking for help notating a track.

Once you tailor it to your needs it's really useful. Can I suggest turning them off altogether and looking at 'new content' area instead for now, as that's a good place to start.

Cheers
[/quote]

If this one email per visit issue cant be fixed it might be an idea to change the notification emails so people wont be confused and waste time trying to set it up.

speed is good today, well done team.

[/quote]

Top Right 'My Name'
My settings
Left column - notification options

chose what you want to receive :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316590200' post='1379929']
RE notifications. I tend to keep track of my threads using the new and improved 'new content' area, where I can select 'threads I started' or 'Threads I participated in' and go to first unread post as normal.
[/quote]

Okay, I've not really experimented with that so I tried it. From 'New Content' I clicked 'Just Items I follow' and ...... I get tons of threads that I don't follow.

What on earth is happening there ?

Same with 'Topics I participated in' and 'Topics I started' ... the results I get may include what I want, but I have no way of telling because there's so much extra stuff that doesn't match. .

Edited by BigBeatNut

The upgrade itself seems to have been performed smoothly by the BC tech guys, but the product itself leaves a bit to be desired... :o

[/quote]
I feel exactly the same buddy. I've bulk deleted god knows how many unread replies in the last few days (I even lost a couple of PMs because the notifications look so similar now) because I haven't the time to check each individual reply (literally 100s per day - and that's with weeding out the spurious notifications) plus with the waiting involved of late it feels like some sort of insidious torture.

.... and now the euphoria of the new look has subsided, somehow the expanse of white is giving me a kind of monitor snow-blindness, where I don't want to look at it anymore. New themes please. :) I'm still having problemss with browser compatibility. New symtoms include - the spellchecker is duplicating letters and removing spaces ??? .

Most of this I can live with for now but the notifications system is driving me crazy.

This is my 1st post today - Fingers crossed about the speed issues. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

I tend to log in when a participated thread has been replied to, now i have to log in to find out if a thread has had a new reply.
Thats not ideal and i cant think of any other web forum that i use that works like that.
Other than to post ive been reading this thread via the emails as there seems no need to keep coming on here to read the replies.

Still, not the end of the world but i think it might put a few people off or mean that some people might take days to reply to a thread.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316594609' post='1379994']
I tend to log in when a participated thread has been replied to, now i have to log in to find out if a thread has had a new reply.
Thats not ideal and i cant think of any other web forum that i use that works like that.
Other than to post ive been reading this thread via the emails as there seems no need to keep coming on here to read the replies.

Still, not the end of the world but i think it might put a few people off or mean that some people might take days to reply to a thread.
[/quote]
But reading the notifications in my in-box isn't ideal either as 1 thing that bugs me about the new notification system is that when my Gmail groups the "conversations" per member, it puts that members replies out of sync with other people in the thread conversation who may have only left one reply.

Speed is good. Well done lads.