Why become a member? ×

New Basschat Features

ped

On my profile I've got a big green box that's got '1' and 'neutral' in it. What does it mean? :)

And perhaps 'Site news/issues' should be hidden, the outside world will think we're all technical idiots if they read this thread :)

AAAGGGHHH! a pop up box that says '1 reply added'. Added where? To what?

I'm off to have a lie down.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1316380824' post='1377401']
On my profile I've got a big green box that's got '1' and 'neutral' in it. What does it mean? :)

And perhaps 'Site news/issues' should be hidden, the outside world will think we're all technical idiots if they read this thread :)

AAAGGGHHH! a pop up box that says '1 reply added'. Added where? To what?

I'm off to have a lie down.
[/quote]

Every time someone 'likes' a post (I just liked one of yours) it'll add 1 to that box. Not sure why, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with it, anyway.

That box is a live feed to tell you that someone posted whilst you were typing.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316380913' post='1377406']

Every time someone 'likes' a post (I just liked one of yours) it'll add 1 to that box. Not sure why, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with it, anyway.

That box is a live feed to tell you that someone posted whilst you were typing.
[/quote]

Thanks Ped :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316344884' post='1376700']
I think you need to turn "Immediate" off, That seems to have fixed it for me.

EDIT: Ah nuts, thats not working either. Lets hope someone figures it out quickly as my indox is filling up fast. At this rate ill not need to log on to BC to read the threads.
[/quote]
Should be sorted now, I have turned email notification by default off for everything except PMs.

ped

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316381856' post='1377431']
Ped. I've also noticed that my avatar isn't quite what it used to be. It's fine in my profile view but out here it's... well you can see for yourself.
Will this be a permanent feature?
[/quote]
That's how big your avatar will be, so you might need to re-upload and re-crop it I'm afraid

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316381881' post='1377434']
But... does that mean we'll not get [i]any[/i] reply notifications?
[/quote]
Nope, just that you won;t have the email box ticked by default. You can still tick whatever you like.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316381939' post='1377437']
Nope, just that you won;t have the email box ticked by default. You can still tick whatever you like.
[/quote]

So this is sounding like its all or nothing. This isn't what it says in the notification email. Is it possible to get the one per visit back?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316382072' post='1377442']
I think we're at cross purposes - all we want is a single notification when a reply is posted - not one for every instance....
[/quote]

Oh, I see. Sorry, I don't know. Will pass it up the chain.

Use the 'view new content' bit and select the type (i.e 'topics I have posted in') to get a list of threads you want to see if the notifications are getting out of hand, for now.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316382208' post='1377446']

Oh, I see. Sorry, I don't know. Will pass it up the chain.

Use the 'view new content' bit and select the type (i.e 'topics I have posted in') to get a list of threads you want to see if the notifications are getting out of hand, for now.
[/quote]
Cheers, Ped. You must feel like we're hammering you... :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316382276' post='1377452']
Cheers, Ped. You must feel like we're hammering you... :)
[/quote]

I expected it to be honest, but I don't know much more than you guys technically. If I had the time I would have made a FAQ guide or something.

I confess that I don't like the facebook integration at all.

Every time you visit a page that has a facebook like button on it, information about you is sent to facebook via that iframe. Even if you don't click "like", the fact that you visit this site is transmitted to facebook (if you are logged into fb on another tab, for instance). If you log into fb later, it can see you have been visiting this site. If you do not have an fb account, but create one in the future, all the past data that has already been collected will be used by facebook and sold for advertisement purposes. You will soon see all these bass related adds on your facebook page...

One of the German states has now made the facebook like button ILLEGAL for this reason...

I have removed it from all the sites I am running... And would seriously like you guys to do the same, do me a favour. What the hell, we don't need facebook do we, licking up to such a ... well ...

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1316382443' post='1377458']
....One of the German states has now made the facebook like button ILLEGAL for this reason...

I have removed it from all the sites I am running... And would seriously like you guys to do the same, do me a favour. What the hell, we don't need facebook do we, licking up to such a ... well ...
[/quote]
It's a funny old world. I've just this minute received a FB "like" for our band off the bass player out of the German band we supported on Friday. :)

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'm already missing the quick-jump drop down that used to live at the bottom right of the page, that was my favourite way of skipping around the forum when I'd read my way to the bottom!

Looking good though, big pat on the back for Ped and co, still getting my bearings!

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'm already missing the quick-jump drop down that used to live at the bottom right of the page, that was my favourite way of skipping around the forum when I'd read my way to the bottom!

Looking good though, big pat on the back for Ped and co, still getting my bearings!

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1316382443' post='1377458']
I confess that I don't like the facebook integration at all.

Every time you visit a page that has a facebook like button on it, information about you is sent to facebook via that iframe. Even if you don't click "like", the fact that you visit this site is transmitted to facebook (if you are logged into fb on another tab, for instance). If you log into fb later, it can see you have been visiting this site. If you do not have an fb account, but create one in the future, all the past data that has already been collected will be used by facebook and sold for advertisement purposes. You will soon see all these bass related adds on your facebook page...

One of the German states has now made the facebook like button ILLEGAL for this reason...

[/quote]

The problem I have with Facebook is that everytime you try and hit the back button, the Facebook plugin tries to communicate with the Facebook site.

Now that's just fine if you allow all traffic through the firewall, but causes the page to hang because the rather crude coding simply 'refuses' to believe that anyone would intentionally prevent it from snooping on them and keeps retrying.
Hit 'Back' often enough and you can get past it, but it really makes the site unpleasantly cumbersome.

The BBC iPlayer had a similar issue when they started using the plugin and they issued a 'fix' to those who wanted it.
Perhaps something the BC techs could have a look at once the site is stable and bedded in?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1316385926' post='1377540']
As far as the notifications are concerned...

There are far too many options there to make sense of.

When the techs get a chance, how about one of them posting a screen dump showing how to get the notifications back to the old 'one notification per topic' format?
[/quote]
I don't think it can be done at the moment - it's on the to-do list, I think....