Why become a member? ×

New Basschat Features

ped

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316386047' post='1377546']
I don't think it can be done at the moment - it's on the to-do list, I think....
[/quote]

Cool :)

It's just a wee bit excessive at the moment - Stingray Pete has just turned his kitchen light on, Johnston is looking at rubber sites and Ped has just called me an a*se... :)

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1316416617' post='1377629']
The new site looks good but it's noticeably slower moving around and loading pages than the old one ... (on my pc at any rate)
[/quote]

See thread RE latency in site issues forum

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1316417685' post='1377637']
Where has the WIKI gone? I can't find it anywhere :)
[/quote]
It's a lot of work to get it on this site apparently, so as it wasn't being used much we have put it to one side for the time being. Not sure what we'll do with it yet.

I think it would be useful if there was a single thread for reporting bugs and missing features, that incorporates a status update on any reports.

I've posted details of several things that I would consider quite major bugs, and couple of features that the old version had that are now missing, but I don't know whether you've missed them, are fixing them as I type, or if I'm going to have to live with how things are now.

Just in case you've missed them here they are again plus a couple of other ones that I've found.

1. Loss of page focus after posting using the "Reply to this topic" box.
2. Images placed using the IMG tag do not resize if they are wider than the forum width
3. Images placed using the attachments function no longer open in a new window. Also the sizing information is missing so it's no longer possible to see if clicking on the image is actually going to worthwhile or if it's only going to be marginally bigger than the thumbnail in the post.
4. Is it possible to make the user pop-ups click activated rather than hover activated? IMO there's nothing less user friendly than stuff being activated and covering what you are trying to look at simply because your mouse happens to be in the wrong place.
5. Is it possible to bring back the "Mark forum as read and return to the board index" function? This one that I used to use a lot and I'm missing it.
6. Reduce the amount of white space between items very slightly. It doesn't have to be by much. Just a pixel or two should bring things back to a manageable state.
7. Where is the calendar?

Thanks for listening.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1316418740' post='1377649']
I think it would be useful if there was a single thread for reporting bugs and missing features, that incorporates a status update on any reports.

I've posted details of several things that I would consider quite major bugs, and couple of features that the old version had that are now missing, but I don't know whether you've missed them, are fixing them as I type, or if I'm going to have to live with how things are now.

Just in case you've missed them here they are again plus a couple of other ones that I've found.

1. Loss of page focus after posting using the "Reply to this topic" box.
2. Images placed using the IMG tag do not resize if they are wider than the forum width
3. Images placed using the attachments function no longer open in a new window. Also the sizing information is missing so it's no longer possible to see if clicking on the image is actually going to worthwhile or if it's only going to be marginally bigger than the thumbnail in the post.
4. Is it possible to make the user pop-ups click activated rather than hover activated? IMO there's nothing less user friendly than stuff being activated and covering what you are trying to look at simply because your mouse happens to be in the wrong place.
5. Is it possible to bring back the "Mark forum as read and return to the board index" function? This one that I used to use a lot and I'm missing it.
6. Reduce the amount of white space between items very slightly. It doesn't have to be by much. Just a pixel or two should bring things back to a manageable state.
7. Where is the calendar?

Thanks for listening.
[/quote]

Thanks - we are working through and listening to everyone, fixing up things as we go. Very busy yesterday and I'm at work today so won't have much chance to do anything until tonight.

Cheers

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316418919' post='1377654']
Now im back at work on a normal size 4:3 monitor i must admit i dont like the layout. Everything just seems a little too big and too much wasted space.
Im sure ill get used to it though.
[/quote]
OK. I really like it, myself - there's little we can do to change it I'm afraid.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316419046' post='1377656']
OK. I really like it, myself - there's little we can do to change it I'm afraid.
[/quote]

Its no biggie, something im sure we will all get used to. I think it all looks less cluttered and clearer, its just i seem to be scrolling the page a bit more than i used to.
Some forums have skins that allow you to change the font size, i guess we dont have that option.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1316419399' post='1377660']

Its no biggie, something im sure we will all get used to. I think it all looks less cluttered and clearer, its just i seem to be scrolling the page a bit more than i used to.
Some forums have skins that allow you to change the font size, i guess we dont have that option.
[/quote]

I don't think so, no. Someone mentioned about reducing the size using Ctrl+ something if you are really determined.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1316419612' post='1377664']
Thanks Ped.

A daily status report on where you are with various issues might be a good idea (unless it takes too much time away from actually fixing the issues).
[/quote]

Yeah again good idea but with three of us working on different things I don;t always know what's happenning either!! To be honest we don't have many issues considering the extent of the change so I just wanted to thank everyone for their patience and understanding at this time... like I said we HAD to move to the new software because of the new anti-spam bits and the admin functions and I personally think it's a big improvement.

Cheers

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1316418740' post='1377649']
[/quote]

Wouldn't one topic per bug in the '[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/34-site-issues/"]Site issues[/url]' sub-forum make more sense ? At least for tracking which issues have been raised, and which of them have been closed ?

I can see the merit of a single 'status' page (though I'd be worried about how much extra work it created for Ped and co.), but I think the current state of this thread demonstrates (with all the interleaved problems, solutions, hanging unresolved problems) that a single thread/topic is probably not the best way to keep track of multiple bugs/support issues.

Andy

Ok, I should add that (although this is probably still the IE8 compatibility issue) when I click "this topic" in search box (upper right) the pop-up comes up [b]underneath[/b] the "View New Content" and "Quick Nav" buttons thus obscuring the upper 2 options.

While writing this in the quick reply box at the bottom, a post was added and I was redirected to some credit website and I had to type this up again. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1316421152' post='1377689']
A nice full inbox to wake up to this morning. :)
[/quote]
Luckily, I had the foresight to switch off email notifications last night. But that means I have to actually visit the site to see if someone's replied to a topic I'm subscribed to.

I can put any other minor niggles aside... this one-notification-per-reply thing is the biggie.

EDIT: Great minds and all that, Dave. :)

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' timestamp='1316422147' post='1377697']

EDIT: Great minds and all that, Dave. :)
[/quote]

Indeed.

Here's a funny thing. I have this page open in both FF6 and IE9 under W7 and IE8 under XP pro. The IE8 and IE9 page's have the Follow topic button in the right place (ie on the right hand side). They also have a "Go to first unread post" hyper link next to the Reply to this topic button. No such option is showing in FF6.

Something to get ironed out i think,

EDIT: Now the Go to link is showing in FF6. :)

Edited by dave_bass5