Why become a member? ×

Suggestions on what to read please

Born 2B Mild

I don't take Bass Technique books to bed, or the loo (probably why I'm not rich or a brilliant bassist then) but I do like a good autobiography and the like, that tells the story behind great musicians and recordings.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to read next, please. Doesn't have to be by a bass player.

I have just finished an autobiography by one of the less obvious bass players of modern times, Tony Visconti. Fascinating behind-the-scenes tales of Bowie, Bolan, McCartney, Lennon, and more rock stars than you can shake an SX bass at.

There's a paperback and a hardback, and it's called [i]Tony Visconti: the Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy[/i]

Borrowed from Amazon...
[b]Synopsis[/b]
A name synonymous with ground-breaking music, Tony Visconti has worked with the most dynamic and influential names in pop, from T.Rex and Iggy Pop to David Bowie and U2. This is the compelling life story of the man who helped shape music history, and gives a unique, first-hand insight into life in London during the late 1960s and '70s. This memoir takes you on a roller-coaster journey through the glory days of pop music, when men wore sequins and pop could truly rock. Visconti's unique access to the biggest names and hottest talent, both on stage and off, for over five decades is complemented by unseen photographs from his own personal archive, and offers a glimpse at music history that few have witnessed so intimately. Soon after abandoning his native New York to pursue his musical career in the UK, Visconti was soon in the thick of the emerging glam rock movement, launching T.Rex to commercial success and working with the then-unknown David Bowie. Since his fateful move to the land of tea and beer drunk straight from the can, Visconti has worked with such names as T.Rex, Thin Lizzy, Wings, The Boomtown Rats, Marsha Hunt, Procol Harum, and more recently Ziggy Marley, Mercury Rev, the Manic Street Preachers and Morrissey on his acclaimed new album 'Ringleader of the Tormentors'.
Even Visconti's personal life betrays an existence utterly immersed in music. Married to first to Siegrid Berman, then to Mary Hopkin and later to May Pang, he counts many of the musicians and producers he has worked with as close friends and is himself a celebrated musician.

[quote name='chris_b' post='159099' date='Mar 17 2008, 06:58 PM']Try Brother Ray, the Ray Charles autobiography.[/quote]
I'd love to. Does it have a lot more than the movie 'Ray'? Books usually do, but I ask in case it is too close to the screenplay.

Years ago I read "Diary of a Rock and Roll Star" by Ian Hunter from Mott the Hoople and it is highly recommended.

He made the diary predominantly during Mott's of America just after All the young dudes had been a hit and is pretty much a tour diary filled with loads of brilliant stories about life on the road.

I loaned mine out about ten years ago and think I need to get it back as I want to read it again now.

Go get a copy, you will not be dissapointed.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='159145' date='Mar 17 2008, 07:55 PM']I'd love to. Does it have a lot more than the movie 'Ray'? Books usually do, but I ask in case it is too close to the screenplay.[/quote]
Sorry, but I haven't seen the film.

Try James Jamerson's biography (or is it autobiography) by Allan "Dr Licks" Slutsky.

Was written in about 1985 and was a precursor to the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" film which is about Jamerson and the other Funk Brothers - the musos behind the Motown sound.

The book comes with half biog, half demo scores with 2 CDs to listen to, with other greats doing the playing.

This guy was an originator!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='159228' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:15 PM']Try James Jamerson's biography (or is it autobiography) by Allan "Dr Licks" Slutsky.

Was written in about 1985 and was a precursor to the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" film which is about Jamerson and the other Funk Brothers - the musos behind the Motown sound.

The book comes with half biog, half demo scores with 2 CDs to listen to, with other greats doing the playing.

This guy was an originator![/quote]
That does sound tasty! "Shadows" is my favourite rockumentary. I'll look out for Huge Hands.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='159233' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:22 PM']That does sound tasty! "Shadows" is my favourite rockumentary. I'll look out for Huge Hands.[/quote]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Shadows-Motown-Legendary-Jamerson/dp/0881888826/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205790385&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Shadows-M...0385&sr=8-1[/url]

I'm sure I got my copy from here for about £12 a couple of years ago.

Have also read recently:

Erc Clapton: agree with The Burpster. All about his addictions.
Guy Pratt: Seems to mainly glorify his substance abuse?
Horace Panter: Seems more of a normal bloke than I thought he'd be. Good read.

I think that's it. There's also loads of biogs on the net. Not as comprehensive as a book, but type your favourite player into Google, and hit "go". It's amazing what you can find!

For something a little different you might fancy Julian Cope's autobiog Head-on/Repossesed.

[indent]"[b]Synopsis[/b]
Julian Cope's highly acclaimed autobiography and its long-awaited sequel in one extraordinary volume. Julian Cope shot to fame with eighties band 'Teardrop Explodes' during the Punk era. Hailed as a visionary by those people who recognise his genius and a madman by those who find him perplexing, he has become a cult figure in the music world. Head-On/Repossessed is written in Cope's own inimitable style and follows his journey through a time of incredible change within the music industry. Head-on is the highly acclaimed autobiography that The Observer viewed as "book of the year" when it was first released. Repossesed picks up in 1983 where Head On ends and continues up until 1989."[/indent]

Probably the best music biog I have read. I just so happen to have a copy which you are welcome to if you want it - no charge.

elom

[quote name='elom' post='159269' date='Mar 17 2008, 10:28 PM']For something a little different you might fancy Julian Cope's autobiog Head-on/Repossesed.

[indent]"[b]Synopsis[/b]
Julian Cope's highly acclaimed autobiography and its long-awaited sequel in one extraordinary volume. Julian Cope shot to fame with eighties band 'Teardrop Explodes' during the Punk era. Hailed as a visionary by those people who recognise his genius and a madman by those who find him perplexing, he has become a cult figure in the music world. Head-On/Repossessed is written in Cope's own inimitable style and follows his journey through a time of incredible change within the music industry. Head-on is the highly acclaimed autobiography that The Observer viewed as "book of the year" when it was first released. Repossesed picks up in 1983 where Head On ends and continues up until 1989."[/indent]

Probably the best music biog I have read. I just so happen to have a copy which you are welcome to if you want it - no charge.

elom[/quote]
Brill! If it comes so recommended, it must be worth a try. I like getting out of my comfort zone on music genres. On another day I'll share with BC how I'm discovering so many new artists for next to nothing with my Napster To Go subscription.

"Miles" - Miles Davis Autobiography. Fascinating stuff, and even though I'm a jazz trumpet fan, this would be a good read for anyone I reckon.

Also, "Chalkhills and Children" - The XTC biography by Chris Twomey. Andy Partridge is an English treasure, and is [i]greatly[/i] underrated, as is Colin Moulding, one of my favourite bass players.

Some great jJazz biographies for anyone who is interested:

'Straight Life' by Art & Laurie Pepper - biography of a jazz musician/sociopath but, first and foremost, a great read

'Miles Davis: the definitive biography - a critical biography' by Ian Carr

'Milestones' by Jack Chambers - another Miles Davis biography

'Mingus - a critical biography by Brian Priestly'

Anything by Gary Giddens

Myself When I Am Real: The Life and Music of Charles Mingus by Gene Santoro - grest writing

Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-60 by Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert
- Jim has been really supportive of me in my own efforts at writing a biography so I want to give him a mention

Myself Among Others: A Life in Music by George Wein & Nate Chinen

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This: My Life in the Jazz World by Val Wilmer - great writing

As Serious as Your Life: John Coltrane and Beyond by Val Wilmer

Friends Along the Way: A Journey Through Jazz by Lees, Gene

John Coltrane: His Life and Music by Lewis Porter (Lewis has also been supportive of me)

I could go on and on - I read more than I practice (its quieter and I can do it on public transport!)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='159419' date='Mar 18 2008, 09:40 AM']I could go on and on - I read more than I practice (its quieter and I can do it on public transport!)[/quote]
you mean you don't play your bass on the bus?
thats not very hardcore of you Bilbo

BTW
+1 for the Art Pepper book.
A stonking read, very open, warts and all, and an interesting view of the period, which incorporated after the main Jazz era.

I'm halfway through Slash's autobiography and I'm loving it.
I'm not a die hard Guns and Roses fan, but its a fantastically comical and interesting read.

Also, a plug for my mates book "Chic & The Politics of Disco" by Daryl Easlea. Really fascinating and got 5 stars in the Observer Music mag.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='159249' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:54 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Shadows-Motown-Legendary-Jamerson/dp/0881888826/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205790385&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Shadows-M...0385&sr=8-1[/url]

I'm sure I got my copy from here for about £12 a couple of years ago.

Have also read recently:

Erc Clapton: agree with The Burpster. All about his addictions.
Guy Pratt: Seems to mainly glorify his substance abuse?
Horace Panter: Seems more of a normal bloke than I thought he'd be. Good read.

I think that's it. There's also loads of biogs on the net. Not as comprehensive as a book, but type your favourite player into Google, and hit "go". It's amazing what you can find![/quote]
Not read the Horace Panter book, but agree entirely with the Clapton and Guy Pratt books.

Clapton's book was really heavy in parts and he certainly seems to be damaged goods (like so many geniuses I guess).

As good as the stories were and as talented a bassist as Guy Pratt clearly is, I thought Guy Pratt actually come out of it as a well, Pratt.

This is my own opinion of course :)

I would like to add that one of the best (and unusual) music biographies I've read is Christie Moores One Voice. An amazing book

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

No one here gets out alive-Jim Morrison and the Doors
Hammer of the Gods-Led Zeppelin-just finished it, excellent and very entertaining-a fiver from Virgin/whatever they're called beginning with Z these days, at the moment.
A very good book I picked up second hand a while ago is A Promoter's Tale by a chap called Geoff Docherty, who promoted a lot of acts in the North East back in the late 60's and early 70's after starting off as a bouncer. Don't know if it's still in print.
Passion is a fashion-The Clash-Pat Gilbert