Why become a member? ×

have you ever taken your bass playing from a singer..

bubinga5

for a long time i have listened to people like Anita Baker and Donny,.. i always liked to practice a bass line to the way they sing..i want to say its the singing that i practiced .. of course this was in the context of a groove.. but the bigger picture was of these girls/guys..

especially Anita.... im so passionate about soul and funk, i always will be.. but i think this is the same of other genres, depending on how you approach it.. of course the groove is god..

ive always thought that in the contexts of harmonies in bass playing, this is the way i always wanted to play.... i love the singing and it gives me inspiration to play bass..

practicing Anita's vocal fills and the way she sings, i think gave me a style thats my own.. or hers..? i always like to practice bass lines from unusual sources..maybe from trumpets , or especially Sax.. imo its so good for your playng

has anyone practiced bass lines from vocals, or an unusual source.. a birds chirping?

Not really. but I'll phrase in keeping with the whole sound, or hopefully I do.

I just listen and react to what ever part of the music gets me... but funniliy enough I don't latch onto lyrics.. never have a clue what the words are...but I probably bundle the vocal line as just another melody and that may or may not be the essense of the song from my POV.

If I have to create a new bass line, I have been known to record myself humming, singing and yelping loose nonsensical phrases over a demo, to listen back to later. Then I can choose the bits of it that seems to work well, and expand it over the full song.

Quite a few of my basslines follow the timing of the vocals but I harmonise more than go in unison (although there's a few where it sounds great to play in unison).
Another thing I like to do occasionally is repeat the last few notes of a vocal part at the end of a bar/section, but I try not to over do this.