Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a Ring Thing yet?

thisnameistaken

I've tried the Ring Thing out a few times.

Theres alot of cool sounds in it. I cant really give any technical descriptions as I've only played it and tried out the presets without looking at the manual.

Basically. It does the ring-mod thing (duh) but you can press the left stomp switch for it to change to the key you're playing in.

The presets give a whole range of sounds from micro pog-like polyphonic octave up (sounds a bit more digital than the pog though), tremolo/vibrato sounds, whammy-like pitch shifting (with an expression pedal) - and alot of synthy sounds.

Its really cool, I personally wouldnt have a use for it but its alot of pedal for the money and you could definitely have alot of fun coming up with both wacky and no-so-wacky presets.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1362633' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:58 AM']I can't decide which would be better, the patches in the EHX Ring Thing or the different waveforms on the Way Huge Ring Worm.[/quote]
You need to get one just to go with your bass & claim Stingring! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1363068' date='Sep 5 2011, 04:49 PM']You need to get one just to go with your bass & claim Stingring! :)[/quote]

Out of any option I'd rather have the Lovetone Ring Stinger.

just need to find someone who can build one for me...

Someone at the dutch bass guitar forum (basgitaarforum.nl) made a video with a lot of samples of the Ring Thing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MrqSXnYPM&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MrqSXnYPM...player_embedded[/url]

• 1 year later...

I've not tried the Ring Thing but I recently bought a Way Huge Ringworm. It's a cool pedal-it's got a lot of options
and sounds...I just need to find a place to use it now. I already had a Sinister Analogue Ramrod which is a lot
simpler but still makes some great sounds.
I like Ring Modulators, especially listening to how guys like Tim Lefebvre use them (he uses the Dod Gonkulator and
more recently the EHX Frequency Anslyser)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1315147581' post='1361848']
Since having the Bugcrusher on my board I've thought I could use a proper ring modulator, and I was looking at the Ring Thing and thinking that the patch memory might be useful, wondered if anyone here has tried it on bass yet? Or tried it at all?
[/quote]
Does this mean you're selling the bugcrusher? :)

Don't be silly. If the OC-2 is the meat then the Bugcrusher is the gravy, it's great for adding frequencies on to deep sounds, I use it on everything.

I do want to try the Mooer Lofi Machine though, it looks like it does a ton of cool stuff in such a little box. I've also got into using the ring mod in my M9 because it's nice to be able to ramp some params on the expression pedal. That's why I was looking for something with patch memory.

[quote name='Cloff' timestamp='1315310215' post='1364024']
Someone at the dutch bass guitar forum (basgitaarforum.nl) made a video with a lot of samples of the Ring Thing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MrqSXnYPM&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

A bit of an acquired taste then :unsure:
If I'm being brutal.....I very much don't like a single sound from it!

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1358553636' post='1941499']A bit of an acquired taste then :unsure:
If I'm being brutal.....I very much don't like a single sound from it![/quote]

I don't think he did a very good job of demoing it, but yeah they probably are an acquired taste. It's a very destructive type of modulation, so you need to be going for an electronically-destroyed sort of vibe, really. :)

• 4 weeks later...