Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Precision

kedo

Can anyone tell me how the various Fender basses rate in order of quality ie Squire, Japanese, Mexican, American etc. I fancy a sunburst/rosewood Precision but already have a good Custom Shop NOS LE Jazz and can't justify spending much money. I see various nice looking, relatively cheap bases around but how would they compare with my Jazz? I don't know how I come to own this as I've been playing for a long time and have only ever owned a Precision. I would trade my Jazz, but it's relatively new and I would lose too much. Can anyone advise as to how low I can go without being disappointed.

KEDO

[quote name='kedo' post='1356261' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:39 PM']Can anyone tell me how the various Fender basses rate in order of quality ie Squire, Japanese, Mexican, American etc. I fancy a sunburst/rosewood Precision but already have a good Custom Shop NOS LE Jazz and can't justify spending much money. I see various nice looking, relatively cheap bases around but how would they compare with my Jazz? I don't know how I come to own this as I've been playing for a long time and have only ever owned a Precision. I would trade my Jazz, but it's relatively new and I would lose too much. Can anyone advise as to how low I can go without being disappointed.

KEDO[/quote]

These questions have been asked a few times and the consensus seems to be: try before you buy. There are always stories of Squier being told to reduce their quality because they were embarassing the USA Fenders of the time; of really great Mexican instruments and even better Japanese. I had a 70s USA Precision that you could get a 50p piece in the pocket beside the neck, and now have a Japanese neck that I love more than life itself. They just vary so much.

I think, from the widespread opinions on here, that MIJ Fenders - Made In Japan - seem to have the most consistent build/play quality. With the others, it can be a bit hit & miss, though i`ve never owned a Fender or Squier that I thought was bad.

I`m a Precision fan, and have had Squiers, Mexicans, Classic Mexican range, Japanese, and US Standards. For myself, I prefer the US Standards, but each to their own.

Really, the best thing to do is play a whole load, and pick the one that feels best. I didn`t keep mine for where they were made, just how they played.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1356319' date='Aug 30 2011, 02:30 PM']I think, from the widespread opinions on here, that MIJ Fenders - Made In Japan - seem to have the most consistent build/play quality. With the others, it can be a bit hit & miss, though i`ve never owned a Fender or Squier that I thought was bad.

I`m a Precision fan, and have had Squiers, Mexicans, Classic Mexican range, Japanese, and US Standards. For myself, I prefer the US Standards, but each to their own.

Really, the best thing to do is play a whole load, and pick the one that feels best. I didn`t keep mine for where they were made, just how they played.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I agree that the American Standard is the best from what I have played (I used to own an American Deluxe which was too fancy for an oldie like me) and this is what I would really like. It looks like I could get a better deal on a MIJ but would it be stupid to save a few pounds?

KEDO

[quote name='bremen' post='1356294' date='Aug 30 2011, 02:04 PM']These questions have been asked a few times and the consensus seems to be: try before you buy. There are always stories of Squier being told to reduce their quality because they were embarassing the USA Fenders of the time; of really great Mexican instruments and even better Japanese. I had a 70s USA Precision that you could get a 50p piece in the pocket beside the neck, and now have a Japanese neck that I love more than life itself. They just vary so much.[/quote]
I suppose I'm a but of a gear snob and wouldn't like to own a P bass without the Fender logo. It goes back to 1964 when American was all you could get and I used to spend hours looking at them in music shops. I had a 1964 P bass from new.

[quote name='kedo' post='1356534' date='Aug 30 2011, 04:56 PM']I suppose I'm a but of a gear snob and wouldn't like to own a P bass without the Fender logo.[/quote]

What is on the head stock is not what makes a great bass. While is does not have the Fender logo, it still has Fender's first name on it. It is the G&L SB1 Precision, and you know what the "L" stands for. :) I'd prefer this to a Fender Precision any day.

I had 3 MIA Jazz basses last year and all had defects that my HW-1/one and Squiers (in fact all my past basses) didnt have.
I had a MIM classic 70s Jazz that had a raised 12th fret as well.

Dont go on cost, go on what feels best/sounds best, higher cost doesn't guarantee getting the best these days.

They all offer different features as well so its worth looking at the specs rather than just what type of bass and where its made. Ive owned some nice Laklands and MIA Fender's but quite happy with my Squiere's these days.

They all do the job, why pay more for something that probably wont do it any better than a bass that costs half the price.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Coilte' post='1356543' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:09 PM']What is on the head stock is not what makes a great bass. While is does not have the Fender logo, it still has Fender's first name on it. It is the G&L SB1 Precision, and you know what the "L" stands for. :) I'd prefer this to a Fender Precision any day.[/quote]
I've come back to bass playing after a very long break and am gradually catching up with gear matters. I looked up G&L. Very interesting. Thanks.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1356566' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:26 PM']I find P basses are much of a muchness, they all sound pretty much the same but it's about feel with them, I love the sound of my P bass but I bet a £30 or £2000 P would sound pretty much the same.[/quote]
You're probably right. I know that acoustic guitars coming out of the far east can be superior to American or British stuff, and I'm sure it's the same for basses. What about the quality of electrics on the cheaper basses?

Thanks for your comments.

KEDO

[quote name='kedo' post='1356572' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:33 PM']You're probably right. I know that acoustic guitars coming out of the far east can be superior to American or British stuff, and I'm sure it's the same for basses. What about the quality of electrics on the cheaper basses?

Thanks for your comments.

KEDO[/quote]

There is defiantly a difference in quality but I think out of all basses P basses have the smallest difference in tone between the cheapest and most expensive.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1356566' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:26 PM']I find P basses are much of a muchness, they all sound pretty much the same but it's about feel with them, I love the sound of my P bass but I bet a £30 or £2000 P would sound pretty much the same.[/quote]

Yes. The precision bass is a bit of a one trick pony as far as tone is concerned, but judging by it's popularity, people seem to only want or need that one trick. I agree about "feel". Also, a lot of the time, you are paying more for the name on the head stock.

Although the p bass is often quoted as being very limited in tone, I can't say that I've ever found it be an issue. The tone is just such a good one.

I've not found it difficult to alter the tone on occassions using a combination of the tone knob, the eq on my amp and the tweeter attenuator on my cabs.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1356580' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:39 PM']There is defiantly a difference in quality but I think out of all basses P basses have the smallest difference in tone between the cheapest and most expensive.[/quote]

I'd agree with that, and I'd add that the factors the people tend to mention in relation to the 'goodness' or 'badness' of a Precision (e.g., body wood, weight, neck/pocket fit etc) rarely make the slightest bit of difference to tone, certainly not when compared to PUPs, strings and amplification. What does make a difference in terms of buying a Precision is how the bass plays and feels, so that's the criteria to go on, and if needs be, upgrade PUPs/tuners down the line

[quote name='gary mac' post='1356687' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:14 PM']Although the p bass is often quoted as being very limited in tone, I can't say that I've ever found it be an issue. The tone is just such a good one.

I've not found it difficult to alter the tone on occassions using a combination of the tone knob, the eq on my amp and the tweeter attenuator on my cabs.[/quote]

+1, it's actually a very versatile instrument if you know what you're doing with it :)

If you want a relatively reasonable priced P. Bass that is good quality & plays well. check out the [b]Squier 'Classic Vibe' series[/b]. I have recently bought the '50s model in Butterscotch Blonde in this range & it is really nice, & for a bass with one pickup & a tone & volume control it has a tremendous tonal range. There is also a '60s model too. They are in the £300 range, but of course prices vary according to which retailer's website you visit.

Tony.

Edited by Davout

At the weekend I picked up a Squier Mike Dirnt P bass for just over a ton and after replacing the pickup, strings and tuners it is playing like a diva. It has the lowest action of any P bass I have owned and the neck feels fantastic. I have owned US, Jap and Mexican P`s but this just feels the best out of the lot. And it`s a chepo from Indonesia!

Just goes to show it aint about the value but as said above, how it feels and sounds in your hands.

Jez

[quote name='Beedster' post='1356691' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:16 PM']What does make a difference in terms of buying a Precision is how the bass plays and feels, so that's the criteria to go on, and if needs be, upgrade PUPs/tuners down the line[/quote]
That's precisely the reason a player will spend a couple of grand on an instrument that can otherwise be made in China for 30 quid. I'd still rate JV Squiers as equal to early Fender Japan stuff which in turn I would rate above most US produced instruments of the same vintage. Interestingly enough, since the latest Chinese factories are really starting to get their sh*t together all the gaps are closing quite fast. I still like the latest US standards simply because they [i]are[/i] US standards and have that kudos even a superior far eastern copy will never have.

[quote name='Davout' post='1356727' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:42 PM']If you want a relatively reasonable priced P. Bass that is good quality & plays well. check out the [b]Squier 'Classic Vibe' series[/b]. I have recently bought the '50s model in Butterscotch Blonde in this range & it is really nice, & for a bass with one pickup & a tone & volume control it has a tremendous tonal range. There is also a '60s model too. They are in the £300 range, but of course prices vary according to which retailer's website you visit.

Tony.[/quote]

Indeed the new Squier's are hugely rated on here.

[quote name='kedo' post='1356530' date='Aug 30 2011, 04:54 PM']Thanks for the advice. I agree that the American Standard is the best from what I have played (I used to own an American Deluxe which was too fancy for an oldie like me) and this is what I would really like. It looks like I could get a better deal on a MIJ but would it be stupid to save a few pounds?

KEDO[/quote]

If you`ve got a specific amount of money available, get the best bass you can. If the best is an American Standard at the full price, spend it. If the best is an MIJ, and you save a few pounds, even better.

But I`d advise against finding a bass you really liked that was with your budget, and then getting one that you didn`t like as much, in order to save a bit. You`ll probably always hanker after "the one that got away".

I`ve spent fortunes on basses - good fun nonetheless - searching for the right bass, but for some reason avoiding the "expensive" US Fenders. Now, having two of them, I realise it would have been much cheaper to just get what I really wanted in the first place, instead of "making do".

Currently have 3 early ninties Encore P bass guitars,1has been fitted with Wizard Thumper pickups,1 with American Fender pickups and the other is the special limited edition with stock pickups.Nice weight and build quility,good straight neck and the only other thing I have changed was the tuners on 2 of them....I have had an original 1970's Fender p bass,in fact it was my first bass back in 1975.These feel and sound the exact same to me....Yes,sometimes I feel like taking the decal/logo off the headstock,but at the moment I am happy with these 3...bought for not much coin on Flea Bay!

Edited by theplumber

[quote name='Davout' post='1356727' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:42 PM']If you want a relatively reasonable priced P. Bass that is good quality & plays well. check out the Squier 'Classic Vibe' series. I have recently bought the '50s model in Butterscotch Blonde in this range & it is really nice, & [b]for a bass with one pickup & a tone & volume control it has a tremendous tonal range[/b]. There is also a '60s model too. They are in the £300 range, but of course prices vary according to which retailer's website you visit.

Tony.[/quote]
This statement doesn't sit well with me. You hear this type of comment very often here on BC. I get what you are alluding to mate, but to state that a single coiled bass (with a singularly voiced sound that is instantly recognisable as such) with nothing more than a treble bleed for tone manipulation as having "a tremendous tonal range" is hyperbole in the extreme - I do take into consideration it's your "honeymoon period" though. :)

I have 2 custom built examples of this style of bass. They are fantastic but I recognise their limits - of course their limits are their strengths. You wouldn't play Fear Factory on a '51 P but in the right settings these basses are king. But however you look at it, they have a distinct single coil tone, what they don't have is a tremendous tonal range... actually they don't have much of a tonal range at all... unless of course your Squire somehow surpasses the one I built for myself and my Shuker. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1357122' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:20 AM']If you`ve got a specific amount of money available, get the best bass you can. If the best is an American Standard at the full price, spend it. If the best is an MIJ, and you save a few pounds, even better.

But I`d advise against finding a bass you really liked that was with your budget, and then getting one that you didn`t like as much, in order to save a bit. You`ll probably always hanker after "the one that got away".

I`ve spent fortunes on basses - good fun nonetheless - searching for the right bass, but for some reason avoiding the "expensive" US Fenders. Now, having two of them, I realise it would have been much cheaper to just get what I really wanted in the first place, instead of "making do".[/quote]

Thanks Lozz196. That's what I'm afraid of. Think I'll go for a US Standard or a MIJ.
Kedo

Hi Jack,

You can never go wrong with Japanese Fenders. All my Fenders have been Japanese and they're all great. Keep your eyes peeled on basschat or ebay and you're bound to find a nice one. My Precision is a1996 one but it doesn't matter what year it is they all seem to be great. Expect to pay around £400 for a bog standard one or around £500 for a reissue like a 1962 or a 1957 or whatever secondhand. The 70's reissues have narrower necks. The 57 ones the necks are wide but shallow and very comfortable.
If you want to get a new one for around £300 try the new classic vibe Squiers. They don't come in sunburst unfortunately just light blue and red but are very good guitars.

I am a recent P Bass convert. Still love Jazzes but there is something about a P Bass. In a recent quest to buy one i discovered that there is a massive amount of difference in feel amongst the same type (American, Mexican, Jap, Squier etc) of P Bass. You can get 2 US P Basses from the same year of manufacture and they will play differently. So, like most on here say its really about playing one and finding one you like. They mostly sound very similar though i think i can discern a difference - the US Pickups/Electronics do sound a bit thicker and beefier.
I bought a 1986 Squier which is the ugliest bass i have ever owned. The previous owner must have used it for demolishing something as it is very beat up but it has a lovely buttery sound and feels comfortable. Weighs a ton. It cost £75 and i am happy to gig and record with it!

Edited by BottomE