Why become a member? ×

Going Ampless...

Randy_Marsh

Was left up the creek a bit the other day. I had work but was able to get a couple of hours off to go and play a gig. I wouldn't normally do this, but it was a big gig for us and the lads would have been a bit pissed off if I wouldn't be able to make it. However this meant that I wasn't able to take my rig and just had to turn up with my bass and hope for the best. Had to go through an old crappy Peavey that was EQ'd horribly (got told not to touch the EQ by owner) and made my Ray really clanky, even though I'd cut the mids and treble.. But anyway

If a situation like this happens again and I'm unable to bring my amp or cab I want to get something that I can plug into to get a good sound. I'm not sure what to look at really and need a bit of help

Get yourself some kind of Preamp/DI box, leave it in your gig bag then your sorted if this happens again.
What you get depends on the sound your after, although the Sansamp bass driver DI & MXR M80 get good reviews.
Behringer also do a decent clone of the Sansamp, much cheaper, and I happen to (cough) have one in the for sale section (cough).

Edit: You could look into some of the Eden stuff if you want similar controls to your amp...

Edited by MarshallBTB

[quote name='MarshallBTB' post='1349831' date='Aug 24 2011, 07:01 AM']Get yourself some kind of Preamp/DI box, leave it in your gig bag then your sorted if this happens again.
What you get depends on the sound your after, although the Sansamp bass driver DI & MXR M80 get good reviews.
Behringer also do a decent clone of the Sansamp, much cheaper, and I happen to (cough) have one in the for sale section (cough).[/quote]

And having had both the Sansamp, and the Behringer I kept the Behringer, as found it doesn`t alter the tone as much. Great little bit of kit, ideal for these types of situations, and records nicely as well.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1350034' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:46 AM']I really like the look of the Tonehammer and the BDDI. Only put off the by the Behringer purely because of the name (had bad experiences before)[/quote]

Yeah its cheap, but compared to the other gear it has to be the best value, especially if you only want the pedal as a 'just in case'.
I'd say its only weak point is the case, but its the kind of pedal your likely to leave on, so I dump it on top of the amp or leave it out of the way.
Got a shop nearby where you could try anything out?

I've lost track of how many times my MXR M80 has saved me from situations like these.

Most amps will have at least a workable power section and any speaker is better than none. Run the preamp into the effects return of the amp and have DI straight to the board so at least the audience get a good sound. Actually, the MXR and pedals like it are just generally useful to have. Last weekend we used it as 'flat' DI for the acoustic guitar in the opening act, then turned it on and used the unaffected out for the first band's rig, then the effected out for my rig, didn't have to unplug a cable once. Sooooooooooo many uses for a tone shaper, DI, output split, distortion pedal . . . . . . .

Edited by Jack

Cheers for all the help guys. I've not been to a music shop for aaages, but I might have to get myself down to one to try some stuff out. Looking at the MXR M80 and Sansamp BDDI primarily. I've always liked MXR products so I'm more drawn towards that at the minute. Is there anything I should look out for with this products? Other than how much the Sansamp colours your tone

I've been looking at something to warm up my passive Jazz bass in an ampless situation (which is 99% of the time for me as I use IEMs)

I've pretty much narrowed down my options to the Aguilar Tonehammer, the MXR M80 and the EBS Microbass II, although to be honest the first one is slightly edging ahead as I can't see the benefit of an overdrive sound for a lot of my work, and have heard great things about the OBP-3.

Hmm...might just buy one this week if funds permit!

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1350943' date='Aug 25 2011, 01:57 AM']Cheers for all the help guys. I've not been to a music shop for aaages, but I might have to get myself down to one to try some stuff out. Looking at the MXR M80 and Sansamp BDDI primarily. I've always liked MXR products so I'm more drawn towards that at the minute. Is there anything I should look out for with this products? Other than how much the Sansamp colours your tone[/quote]
If you're thinking of the Sansamp BDDI, may I point you towards the Para Driver version, with the swept mid control? I have one and it's the bomb for my passive Ibanez - gives it some really meaty welly when required or can also do subtle 'active'-ness when required. I have found that with the Sansamp 'less is more' i.e. I usually run with the blend on about 25% effected to 75% dry tone, and this seems to help with just 'beefing' up the passive sound somewhat. Obviously the 'drive' control has some influence, but I don't use excessive amounts of it; rather, I just use the level control to give me more into the head/PA desk.

HTH,
Ian

I go ampless most of the them these days and rely on the Zoom B9.1ut and IEM. I am half way though convincing the guitarist to do the same thing and just take his pedal but old habits...

I do have a Ok PA which I can be sure is man enough for the band and it still takes us ages to set up!