Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Super Slinky

Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1344942' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:37 PM']Has anyone had any experience with these strings?? - I normally use Elites, but I fancied a change and there was a good deal on amazon so I er...! :)[/quote]

Blimey, you read my mind, I was just about to ask the same question on here as I use Elites but wondered what the stock Ernie Ball strings are like, especially as the medium gauge strings come with a 45 for the G string.

Will take a punt on these also but have used Elites for over 20 years so might be hard now to change brands.

I used them for many years and never had a duff string or a breakage (I may just have been lucky!). They're fairly cheap and available almost everywhere, not the longest lasting string out there but they last OK and seem to go off consistently, even the low B so they're still fairly useable when they're old.

I slightly prefer the sound of Slinkys to Elites (also a very good string, used them when I started out on bass), but the Slinkys have got just a little more character and seem to sound good on all my basses.

I've recently been using DR Highbeams for some clang, Status Hotwires for a really strong fundamental tone but I still sometimes put on Slinkys for a more balanced, rounder tone.

Used them religiously for a while until I tried DR, but have recently gone back due to DR's current stocking issue, wanted to go try Elixers but no where local stocks them.

A smudge cheaper for a forever consistently good quality string, not to found of the slap sound but at the same time I don't do it enough to worry, excellent puck and fingerstyle sound.

Reasonable amount of tension compared to others which I like, still flexible enough for easy vibrato and bends. Last a fair bit aswell, probably helped by the crisp packet packaging, they don't clean up as well as DR used to do.

Still going to try Elixers when the opportunities arise.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1346969' date='Aug 21 2011, 10:30 AM']wanted to go try Elixers but no where local stocks them.

Still going to try Elixers when the opportunities arise.[/quote]Seems to be virtually impossible to get Elixirs in store, darn Sarf anyway. Probably because they last ages so stores will end up with stock hanging around forever as they are expensive as well. Bemoaned this fact to the guys on the Elixir stand at the BGM Bass Day

Your best bet is one of the online string stores

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1346382' date='Aug 20 2011, 03:01 PM']Where are you based mate? Theres an American online store that do them really cheap, I need to get some more soon. Maybe we could split postage? If you decide to give them a go of course...[/quote]

Its alright mate, I'm sorted now, I was just a bit dubious of buying them after reading [url="http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/256/title/ernie-ball-super-slinky-regulars/cat/17""]this[/url]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1346969' date='Aug 21 2011, 10:30 AM']Used them religiously for a while until I tried DR, but have recently gone back due to DR's current stocking issue, wanted to go try Elixers but no where local stocks them.

A smudge cheaper for a forever consistently good quality string, not to found of the slap sound but at the same time I don't do it enough to worry, excellent puck and fingerstyle sound.

Reasonable amount of tension compared to others which I like, still flexible enough for easy vibrato and bends. Last a fair bit aswell, probably helped by the crisp packet packaging, they don't clean up as well as DR used to do.

Still going to try Elixers when the opportunities arise.[/quote]

Hot Rox in Sneinton have Elixir strings in.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1347027' date='Aug 21 2011, 11:31 AM']Hot Rox in Sneinton have Elixir strings in.[/quote]

No way......
The only reason I didnt bother that way as I did t want to walk the extra 20 minutes to find out they do t have them...
Bummer.
Thanks man!

I would t get worried about a few negative reviews in overthetop land.
Had countless sets over a year and a half never had a duff one or any strings break, not even when my ham fisted pals decide to have a go. Fair to say I was aggressively slapping sometimes.

Only had strings break when they werent mounted properly in the tuning post.

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on all my basses except the fanned fret ones cause the E and B won't stretch to 37" otherwise I'd used them on those too, have done so for over 15 years, previously I used GHS and Dean Markleys, never been a fan of D'Addario's somehow. I find the Ernie Ball faultless, bright and long lasting. I tried the coated ones soon as they came out and hated them because they felt too coarse under the firnger tip and even a bit gummy sticky, yuck.