Why become a member? ×

JV or not JV?

matski

Over the past year or two I've been gradually renovating my old 1982 Fender Precision JV '57 reissue bass, as it had been pretty neglected and was in quite shabby condition.

Here's a list of the work done to date:

• Body stripped and refinished in high gloss transparent black (showing the Sen Ash grain)
• fitted Gotoh 201 bridge
• fitted new black scratchplate
• fitted new chrome knobs
• replaced non-functioning tone pot
• replaced rusty old DiMarzio pickups with Fender vintage P-bass pickups from another Japanese 57RI
• replaced rusty old tuners with Fender vintage style long-shaft reverse winding tuners
• replaced twisted, battered, dodgy-fretted, knackered truss-rodded original neck with another Fender Japan 57 RI neck (thanks to Mr Burrito Bass!)

So considering that the only original parts left are the body and the volume pot, does it still qualify as a JV '57....? :) It certainly sounds the part! :)

[quote name='matski' post='1340783' date='Aug 15 2011, 03:41 PM']So considering that the only original parts left are the body and the volume pot, does it still qualify as a JV '57....?[/quote]

No, and even more so given the body has been refinished. It's a bitsa plain and simple. It might be a far better instrument than it was when it was a JV, but it's still a bitsa. Sorry :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1340935' date='Aug 15 2011, 06:04 PM']On here it's a bitsa.

On ebay it's a Professionally custom modified and restored much Fabled and rare JV Squier by Fender built by Tokia and therefore worth 3xs the price of any normal JV and 10 times better than any MIA Fender Precision. .

Honestly it's the best bass you have ever played but you have to sell it to make room because you have too many basses and want to keep those basses that are not quite as good.[/quote]

And it plays like butter.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1340837' date='Aug 15 2011, 03:26 PM']Are we talking about an 82 Squier by Fender JV Made in Japan series? I am confused.[/quote]

It WAS... :) Now it's a 'Bitsa'. Actually, maybe 'Frankenstein' is more appropriate... :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='1340919' date='Aug 15 2011, 04:51 PM']But I am confused..is it a 82 copy of a 57 or a 2011 copy of an 82 copy of a 57..????[/quote]

Err.... :P See above... :D

[quote name='Johnston' post='1340935' date='Aug 15 2011, 05:04 PM']On ebay it's a Professionally custom modified and restored much Fabled and rare JV Squier by Fender built by Tokia and therefore worth 3xs the price of any normal JV and 10 times better than any MIA Fender Precision. .

Honestly it's the best bass you have ever played but you have to sell it to make room because you have too many basses and want to keep those basses that are not quite as good.[/quote]

:) Nice one! Ooh, you are quite the cynical one, ain't ya?! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='gjones' post='1340947' date='Aug 15 2011, 05:14 PM']And it plays like butter.[/quote]

That phrase has always really bugged me. :) For me it conjures up a mental image of 'squidgy and greasy' - surely not a good characteristic? :)

[quote name='matski' post='1341050' date='Aug 15 2011, 07:43 PM']It WAS... :) Now it's a 'Bitsa'. Actually, maybe 'Frankenstein' is more appropriate... :lol:

Err.... :P See above... :D

:) Nice one! Ooh, you are quite the cynical one, ain't ya?! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Well if it is a bitsa, then... with all due respect, unless this tread should go under the heading of "funnies" I don't really see what the fuss is all about with preventing the "JV" former status of your bass from being further dissacrated. [b]What was it's gone[/b], what you have now as many said it's trigger's broom

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1341466' date='Aug 16 2011, 08:20 AM']The best part of the JVs for me were the necks with the rolled fingerboards[/quote]

Thats what i was told by Chris at the Bass Centrer when i took mine in. In fact he said it didnt really matter what was attached to the neck, its the neck that commands the price.

I replaced all the hardware with gold Schaller stuff, mirror pick guard (well it was the 80's) EMG select and a few other bits i cant remember. I still got over £300 for it.

Edited by dave_bass5