Why become a member? ×

Damn you old age!!

thepurpleblob

I think I've had a realisation that technique wise, I'm probably as good as I'm ever going to get. I've played for a bit over ten years - I'm now 47 - and I've steadily got better at it. However, about 5 years ago we played "A town called malice" and I really found it a struggle to get through without it all falling apart. So, recently, in my latest band up comes that song again. Exactly the same - the line is just too quick and no amount of practicing seems to make any difference.

Oh well.....

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1339151' date='Aug 13 2011, 10:13 PM']The line is D B and A. How would that go. I suspect it's plucking technique anyway, it usually is.

I can't play with a pick. I drop them. I've tried - honestly.[/quote]

to build up accuracy at speed play it slow at first to a click and then speed it up until you reach the required tempo.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1339158' date='Aug 13 2011, 10:18 PM']to build up accuracy at speed play it slow at first to a click and then speed it up until you reach the required tempo.[/quote]

Hmmm... I'm struggling to play it *at all* against a click - even slowly. I don't seem to have got that syncopated bit in my head. There's something to work on :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1339176' date='Aug 13 2011, 10:31 PM']Hmmm... I'm struggling to play it *at all* against a click - even slowly. I don't seem to have got that syncopated bit in my head. There's something to work on :)[/quote]

ahh in those situations i sing the line before i play it. Somehow it helps my body "feel" it

Although the original bass player used a pick, it [b]is[/b] doable without.
It's just practice.

Get the tune sorted in your head and don't try playing along with the original track.
Start it off slowly, get the timing right and then slowly increase the speed.

The other solution is to cheat and drop some of the notes out of riff (so play 9 notes instead of the original 11).
Unless you're playing in a Jam tribute band, nobody will notice. :)

It's a line that lends itself to a pick... but if you can't keep hold of them, double thumb it.

Will sound crap outside of the track anyway, so just get in with the drummer and pick up the accents.
Foxton wasn't a precise player anyway...so no need to rip it exactly, just the key bass notes that run with 'a-town-called Alice'. The slurs are less important

Pino Palladino said "as you get older your tone knob creeps down and your right hand goes further up the neck". Enjoy bass playing for what it is, simplifying doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your enjoyment of the instrument. I know you'll be well aware already but warm up before gigs as well, it makes all the difference having your hand muscles ready to play quicker paced stuff.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1339176' date='Aug 13 2011, 10:31 PM']....struggling to play it *at all* against a click - even slowly....[/quote]
Then slow it down even more, as slow as you need in order to get the line right. When you're speeding up, don't rush, just do it right, even if it takes a week.

It's the recurring intro bit you're struggling with I assume. The difficulty depends where on the neck you're playing it. Playing it with open strings is difficult for me but I find it much easier playing the notes fretted. Playing it around the 5th and 7th frets is tricky too.
I recommend using all 4 fingers so that you can stretch from the B on the A string (2nd fret) up to the D on the A string (5th fret). That way you can play it by fretting the B on the A string with your index finger while you play the D on the A string and the A on the E string with your pinky.

It's possible to play this with fingers - did it for 18 months with a band. Even though Foxton used a pick, it's possible to play all his lines fingerstyle.

Town Called Malice - great track. As soon as it comes on the radio, volume in the car goes right up :)

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1339405' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:44 AM']It's possible to play this with fingers - did it for 18 months with a band. Even Foxton used a pick, it's possible to play all his lines fingerstyle.

Town Called Malice - great track. As soon as it comes on the radio, volume in the car goes right up :)[/quote]

I don't want to start a fingers/pick argument, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to play any pick line with fingers and vice versa. It comes down to what you happen to have the ability to do.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1339412' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:51 AM']I don't want to start a fingers/pick argument, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to play any pick line with fingers and vice versa. It comes down to what you happen to have the ability to do.[/quote]

I forgot to mention it took me years to learn how to play ATCM fingerstyle. Not intending to start a pick v fingers flame war as it's to each their own (I'm pretty crap with a pick, so fingers it was). IMO it's just a case of working on whatever song it is you're working on & breaking it down into small chunks. Once you've learned the chunks, it's a matter of sticking them all together.

I know what you mean. I'm just the wrong side of 50 now and I'm slowing down. 30 odd years of rugby and dislocated fingers etc not helping very much at all.

When I'm struggling I have been known to miss the odd note to keep the song moving along and only a few people have ever noticed. But they should get out more!

Of course when it's our own material no problem at all :)

Think of the 'Town Called Malice' riff as a frustrated motown groove. Where motown would go somewhere Malice just repeats angrily.

Make sure your band are following you in this song, there's that crucial bit where they all drop out leaving the bass solo. Also on the original there's a slight cheat as they jump in a fraction early for 'ghost of steam train', vital you work out with the drummer how to get that bit. Oh and the 'roast beef against the wall' slide/slurs always cause me grief.

The good news is the public love it, feather in the cap of any band brave enough to pull it off.

[quote name='bigash' post='1339748' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:42 PM']What i do, is on the second time you play the riff with the extra B at the end, instead of playing the B hammer on from the A. Sounds close enough and noone will notice anyway.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm not sure how sad playing bass whilst surfing the net is,but....I'm always a pick player,and I've just tried this bassline fingerstyle,and hammering on is the way I did it.

If its the [i]intro[/i] you mean? When i looked at it i found it easiest to play it with the triple D note on the A string 5th fret, then to the E string with the the A & B notes on the 5 and 7 fret. With or without a hammer on whichever you find easiest. all close together and easy to move to and from. Not sure if thats exactly correct, but if it isn't, its still those 3 notes ([i]just not necessarily in the right order[/i], as Eric Morecambe said) that you mentioned so modify as needed. (pretty sure it ok though)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Anti Tab Demon and his acolyte: :)

A|---5-5-5-----|5-5-5--------|
E|---------7h5-|-------7h5-7-|

Edited by daz