Why become a member? ×

Damn you old age!!

thepurpleblob

Did this in one of my first gigging bands (informal party band) and thought at the time we did it reasonable justice though if there were recordings I'm sure they would prove otherwise! As has been said it's a bit of a stamina excercise and it took me a few goes to get the timing right. I always used open A string rather than fretting them at F5 on the E string. Found it helped get the rhythm right as you are doing the whole riff on just one string, fretting the D's at F5, B's at F3 and A's open stringed. The bit we had to work on as a unit was where the band all comes back in after the (snare?) drum roll after the isolated bass riff, before the final verse. Looking at the video online I didn't play it anywhere near the same part of the neck that Foxton did! I'm the same age as the OP so can sympathise... :)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='risingson' post='1339224' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:43 PM']Pino Palladino said "as you get older your tone knob creeps down and your right hand goes further up the neck".[/quote]

Did he really say that? He's only bloody right you know :)

Those kinds of frantic lines are seldom worth the effort, IMO :)

On the age thing, I have to disagree. I am playing better now than ever (age 48). There are some things that I used to be able to do that I can't now (only because I have forgotten them) but, where there are recordings available, it would be fair to say they weren't nearly as good as I remembered them to be. I was clearing out some old cassettes recently and found several live recordings of some fairly heavy fusion/jazz rock tunes we used to do in days of yore. My playing was [i]very[/i] raggy and, although the tunes I was trying to play were hard, my playing of them was nowhere near good enough. Nowadays, I am much more aware of what is working and what is not and my playing is generally more musical as a result. And because it is more musical, the bits that involve technical flourishes tend to be more integrated.

I had trouble yrs ago trying to play Roundabout by YES without a pick until eventually it clicked and hey presto it was then pretty easy.

Needless to say my eventual party trick was the opening piano part of "Awaken" by YES. (i think it was Awaken - long time ago now ?)
That took a lot of practice and many hours speeding up the process.

Funny thing is i was never a huge fan of YES.
Weird but entertaining anyway.

Reckon most parts can be played with a little effort and commitment.
I'm older than you and think my technique has greatly improved over past few yrs.

You are never too old to learn so keep at it.

I'm playing things now i never knew before :) :D :)

Cheers
Dave
:lol:

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='risingson' post='1339224' date='Aug 13 2011, 11:43 PM']Pino Palladino said "as you get older your tone knob creeps down and your right hand goes further up the neck". Enjoy bass playing for what it is, simplifying doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your enjoyment of the instrument. I know you'll be well aware already but warm up before gigs as well, it makes all the difference having your hand muscles ready to play quicker paced stuff.[/quote]

A typically accurate and incisive Pino quote IMHO.

Absolutely spot on. :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1339412' date='Aug 14 2011, 10:51 AM']I'm pretty sure it's possible to play any pick line with fingers and vice versa.[/quote]

If Flea plays the bass line on Parallel Universe without a pick then I'm a Mongolian Yurt Salesman...

ficelles

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1340631' date='Aug 15 2011, 01:20 PM']Needless to say my eventual party trick was the opening piano part of "Awaken" by YES. (i think it was Awaken - long time ago now ?)
That took a lot of practice and many hours speeding up the process.[/quote]

That I would like to hear!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1341962' date='Aug 16 2011, 02:45 PM']That I would like to hear![/quote]

Don't think i could manage it now. It was 25 - 30 yrs ago or there abouts.
In those days i was a fanatic for playing bass.
2-3hrs practice virtually every night without exception.
Just loved trying different things that no-one else had done.
It certainly impressed a lot of bands i played in. Made you well sought after on the circuit. :)
Was only the lead piano part (right hand) and learned it from the transcript book for Going for the One album.

Where did i put those YES albums - mmmmmm !!!!!!!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7