Why become a member? ×

Sonic blue P build/customisation...

Ian Savage

Oooohhhhh, what could it be....

Oooooohhhhhhh.....

And half an hour later...

Question is, what to do now? Action and intonation are set, truss rod tweaked, all plays nicely and sounds fine acoustically...but what colour pickguard? :)

Nice (aged?) white, and a bit of body relicing; I'm thinking a pickup cover might go on there too, which would be nice...

A little bit MCFC, mind.

Had a tort guard on it with Beedster, which apparently looked rather nice (although I don't know how much red you'd want in the tort), black is of course an option (although it MIGHT stray a little too close to the Steve Harris signature)...

(to my eyes that's not great...)

Opinions, guys!

• 2 months later...

Well, we're back on track after a few months' doing actual work and still having no money :) so after putting a ding in it myself during the house move decided to go the DIY relic route - an hour or so with some sandpaper and wire wool and we have:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/P1030917.jpg[/IMG]

Aged white 'plate for sure now...and need a pickup!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1320233771' post='1423992']
That's pretty tasteful for home relicing. Good job!
[/quote]

Cheers man; one side-effect of the 'flatting back' of the finish which I'm very happy about is that the body doesn't feel so 'sticky', especially on a sweaty stage; reduces friction burns/blisters on picking hand & forearm, which I very much like.

(Haven't gigged this one yet, obviously, but certainly found that on my Telecaster which I've done much the same thing to).

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1320794119' post='1431655']
sorry - i just don't get relicing at all

what's the point?
[/quote]

I wouldn't do it to a brand-new bass, obviously, but personally:

- I've dinged the body myself anyway (and it was in 8/10 condition even before I got it); add the fact the bass is a 'bitsa' means it's worth next to bugger-all on resale, so I'd rather make it suit me (which, sadly, = fairly worn but still functional and looking alright, if past its best)

- makes it far more distinctive should it ever get nicked

- yes, alright, makes muso snobs come a LITTLE bit closer before they turn their noses up

- as I mentioned before, the feel of roughed-up body paintwork is (IMO) far nicer than 'new-bass-gloss', 'specially if you sling it low like wot I do and have your right wrist/forearm rubbing the body whilst playing; sanding back the gloss from my Tele made it SO much more comfortable to play.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/Telebefore.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/P1030152.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I like the look of something a bit more 'roughed-up', in many spheres; many people don't, each to their own.

fair enough........I play my 28 year old JV all the time which is still sort of glossy...it has a few dings but the finish isn't rubbing through...it strikes me that the way basses are 'reliced' is not a reflection of actual wear patterns and is not a realistic fakery of aging.....

perhaps it's just me?

• 3 weeks later...