Why become a member? ×

Audition tonight

razze06

So tonight i'm auditioning for a local gigging raggae band, and seek this community's advice.

First of all, I've never played raggae in a band before, but i've done my homework and learned the 5 songs required. I have some experience with ska, that should come in handy.

In terms of playing style, I understand that less is more, and must not overplay, and keep with the flow of the song. A nice mellow sound is better than and aggressive clangy one, but any other tips?

Also, I'm not sure what bass to take with me tonight. The Ned is tempting, for the woody vintage sound, but all the others have their merits too, and are easier to play :)

Good luck. I'm very jealous, as I've been looking out for opportunities to play with a reggae band in Nottingham, with no success. No further advice other than what's been said already.

BTW, slightly off topic, but if anyone can point me in the direction of a good, detailed guide to the differences between reggae, roots and rocksteady, I'd be grateful.

Are the songs cover versions or originals and what style of reggae are they?

If it's roots reggae I would use the Jazz bass - neck pup only on about 75%, tone rolled right off, heavy flatwound strings if possible, otherwise well worn rounds.
Play finger style between the neck and the pup with a strong and repetitive feel with no fills or fanciness.
The bass must be absolutely solid and able to carry the riddim in the absence of all other instruments.
Remove all treble and upper mids on the amp, it's all about deep smooth clean bass.

Enjoy yourself and good luck :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1335153' date='Aug 10 2011, 03:14 PM']Are the songs cover versions or originals and what style of reggae are they?

If it's roots reggae I would use the Jazz bass - neck pup only on about 75%, tone rolled right off, heavy flatwound strings if possible, otherwise well worn rounds.
Play finger style between the neck and the pup with a strong and repetitive feel with no fills or fanciness.
The bass must be absolutely solid and able to carry the riddim in the absence of all other instruments.
Remove all treble and upper mids on the amp, it's all about deep smooth clean bass.

Enjoy yourself and good luck :)[/quote]

The songs seem to be mostly originals, not very rootsy and with more of a ska and rocksteady vibe to most of them. I'll stick to deep and smooth bass though, cause that's what I like for this kind of thing. I'll keep my plucking hand close to the neck, and my mindset on the strong and repetitive pattern.

cheers!

[quote name='razze06' post='1335180' date='Aug 10 2011, 03:31 PM']The songs seem to be mostly originals, not very rootsy and with more of a ska and rocksteady vibe to most of them. I'll stick to deep and smooth bass though, cause that's what I like for this kind of thing. I'll keep my plucking hand close to the neck, and my mindset on the strong and repetitive pattern.

cheers![/quote]

Sounds like a plan.

I just realised I recommended the Jazz bass without knowing anything about your others - take whichever you feel most comfortable with so long as it's got a deep smooth tone.

Have fun and good luck! I'm quite envious because I've been wanting to dabble for a while in this sort of music but nothing going on locally it seems.
The Amy Winehouse number we rehears e is the nearest thing to anything with a soulful Afro-Caribbean feel; i try to keep it deep and low, and of course focus on the timing.
I'm gonna bear all that advice above in mind.
Best!

Nailed it and got the gig (band is called red2red).

In the end I took both the T40 and the aerodyne P, just in case the practice room amp didn't like the peavey.

Fantastic thick, deep and powerful tone from the T40 through the room's TE 4x10 combo.

Can't emphasize enough how important it was to have got there prepared. Got through the 5 songs from the webpage, plus a couple of improvised dub grooves.

Not once did anyone ask me to turn down, quite the opposite :)

[quote name='razze06' post='1336112' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:37 AM']Nailed it and got the gig (band is called red2red).

In the end I took both the T40 and the aerodyne P, just in case the practice room amp didn't like the peavey.

Fantastic thick, deep and powerful tone from the T40 through the room's TE 4x10 combo.

Can't emphasize enough how important it was to have got there prepared. Got through the 5 songs from the webpage, plus a couple of improvised dub grooves.

Not once did anyone ask me to turn down, quite the opposite :)[/quote]

Congratulations. A good news story. Are they letting you wear the hat?

[quote name='razze06' post='1336112' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:37 AM']Nailed it and got the gig (band is called red2red).

Not once did anyone ask me to turn down, quite the opposite :)[/quote]
Nice one!

[quote name='razze06' post='1335180' date='Aug 10 2011, 03:31 PM']The songs seem to be mostly originals, not very rootsy and with more of a ska and rocksteady vibe to most of them. I'll stick to deep and smooth bass though, cause that's what I like for this kind of thing. I'll keep my plucking hand close to the neck, and my mindset on the strong and repetitive pattern.

cheers![/quote]

Done well, it can be a tough gig..but if you feel it, you're there.
If you force it...you'll do no one any favours.

Good luck.