Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traveling on planes

fingerz

I know for those of us who have to do this regularly it's necessary and always a slight risk, but I learnt something new recently which may be of use..

Airports no longer hand out 'fragile' stickers (the ones I have been to at least, on budget airlines that bands into Europe tend to get booked onto) - apparently it makes them liable for damage to glass etc people were putting in bags. This of course means your bass is more likely to get chucked around and treated like everything else. Of course this is always likely, but without 'Fragile' on an item there's absolutely no chance it will get respected.

You can however, turn up with 'Fragile' stickers plastered over your kit that you have supplied yourself. So, for anyone traveling, I advise getting hold of some stickers online and sorting your kit out.

Getting it on the plane/into hold safely is ok as you can assert standards - it's when it comes off that I have had problems lately with it just getting taken and chucked about.

There are lots of tricks to get around this, like walking to the gate etc.. but you never know how they'll be about it. So I thought for anyone with a shiny new case or such like, this info would be of use. Hope it is!

Safe traveling!!

I have written "Fragile - no, really" and "please don't break me" onto white gaffa before now. It has really helped as the slight humour gets their attention and I have had it handed back to me at the other end by a nice man in a suit.

I don't know about airport baggage handlers but postmen and couriers don't pay any attention to fragile stickers. If you want something to arrive intact pack it well.
I used to work for a laboratory supplies company in the despatch department packing glassware etc. Stickers offer no protection whatsoever.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

BA slapped 'Fragile' stickers on my case when I flew with them last month. But I agree that there's no harm in doing your own thing if you're worried that a budget airline might fail to observe that an instrument-shaped case might contain something that would benefit from some gentle treatment. Having said that, I can't imagine that any of you would check any flightcased instrument into the hold unless you were confident that it could withstand a certain amount of maltreatment. Hiscox + pants round the neck - you're laughing.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1331586' date='Aug 8 2011, 12:42 AM']My Dad used to work for Federal Express loading lorries. He used to joke about wondering where Fragile (pronounced Frageely) was and seeing how far they could chuck those ones into the lorry.[/quote]

charming :)

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1332535' date='Aug 8 2011, 06:42 PM']Ha! I've never seen that word in connection with my Dad before! I'd tell him you said it but I haven't spoken to him in a long time.[/quote]

Don't tell him I said that... unless you can also tell me where he works, so that i can protect extra carefully anything I send that may pass through his location :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='1333209' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:02 AM']I'm puzzled..how does wearing your pants around your neck help protect your bass, when you're in the cabin and the bass is in the hold?[/quote]

:lol: :) :) :D

I think it's based on the principle of sympathetic magic...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1332926' date='Aug 8 2011, 10:05 PM']Don't tell him I said that... unless you can also tell me where he works, so that i can protect extra carefully anything I send that may pass through his location :)[/quote]
Don't worry, he hasn't worked anywhere for about 20 years. Unless you count various, dodgy internet scams (including getting himself scammed, many times).

I have seen first hand inside a parcel depot (that I worked at briefly as a student temp) and was horrified to see the "games" that entertain the nightshifters.

The more it is plastered in fragile stickers, the further/harder it gets thrown into the back of the lorry. "Photos - Do Not Bend. Yes they do, look...!"

Now this was 15yrs ago, but I doubt things have improved. I just package things extremely well now (bordering on overkill).

[quote name='janmaat' post='1331662' date='Aug 8 2011, 07:56 AM']fragile stickers - that's like putting a sticker on a car that says "car".
take no chances, get a proper case and bob's your uncle.[/quote]
Or do both; a home-made stencil, small spray paint & it's marked for life.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1333469' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:33 PM']Don't worry, he hasn't worked anywhere for about 20 years. Unless you count various, dodgy internet scams (including getting himself scammed, many times).[/quote]

:) eh?

I actually work for UPS at East Midlands Airport so we get instruments through the hub all the time. I would suggest a strong case or better still, a flight case.
To be fair we do try too handle packages with care, fragile or not. I had to load 24 boxes of Suhr guitars into an air can on Sunday and believe me I was very careful with them! I'll tell you what though, you wouldn't believe the way some things are packed that we have to handle. :)

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1332535' date='Aug 8 2011, 06:42 PM']Ha! I've never seen that word in connection with my Dad before! I'd tell him you said it but I haven't spoken to him [b]since he threw me into the back of a Fedex lorry[/b][/quote]
Fixed?

Seriously, though, affixing a sticker with "fragile" has a similar effect to;

Waving a Red Rag at a bull whilst standing in a china shop
Wearing a T-shirt with "Kick me" emblazoned upon it to the pub on a Friday night (maybe Saturday's better. It's alright for fighting, apparently)

I'd just mummify the item and trust in the power of prayer. Or buy a seat for it!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1334422' date='Aug 10 2011, 12:08 AM']:) eh?[/quote]
He's got a problem with his neck that means he can't do physical work anymore. So he's on disability benefits. But he's not above running scams on the internet and ripping people off. But he has a bad habit of falling for stupid scams and getting ripped off himself, especially scareware stuff, he falls for it everytime, no matter what advice you give him. And I used to think that man was so clever when I was growing up.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1334975' date='Aug 10 2011, 01:31 PM']He's got a problem with his neck that means he can't do physical work anymore. So he's on disability benefits. But he's not above running scams on the internet and ripping people off. But he has a bad habit of falling for stupid scams and getting ripped off himself, especially scareware stuff, he falls for it everytime, no matter what advice you give him. And I used to think that man was so clever when I was growing up.[/quote]

so he has a "circular personality" then :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1334371' date='Aug 9 2011, 11:30 PM']Or do both; a home-made stencil, small spray paint & it's marked for life.
[/quote]

Those instantly reminded me of the Bachman Turner Overdrive LP :)

Edited by daz