Why become a member? ×

I'm mourning my weekends!

Commando Jack

Ok so basically the bands I'm in have gotten increasingly busy in the past 6 months, to the point where I've gone from maybe 6 gigs a month (1 weekly residency and maybe 2 gigs a month outside that) to regularly doing 2-3 gigs a week, all at the weekend. I'd like to add the caveat that I'm mostly very pleased that the bands are getting work, and know I've got it good, but I can't resist a moan. Plus I enjoy reading the other moany threads from other basschatter's so thought I'd contribute! :)

I can't remember the last time I sat for a weekend and did what ever the hell I wanted to do, including going out on the town to see a band: covers, originals, whatever. Just so long as they had plenty of energy and the venue had beer dispensing apparatus. I enjoyed watching the band play and gear spotting, and if it was a cover band, I'd drunkenly (but politely!) ask them to play some Queen. If they didn't know any, I'd wander off back into the crowd with my mates, no harm no foul etc.

But truth be told, I can't remember the last time I actually went to a gig that I wasn't playing at, because every single weekend I'm out playing myself! I work full time during the week, so I don't often go out on weeknights (again usually only when gigging). Of course, on the odd nights when I'm not playing, I'm grateful for a quiet night in with the missus!! So I guess I've only myself to blame.

Anyway, I just realised recently how much of my weekend is spent on the performing side of the microphone. Anyone else in the same boat? And how do you get round it?

I'm in the opposite situation.

Both of my bands have broken down and I haven't gigged for the last two months.

My misses is happier but I miss the gigs :)

When it gets back into the swing I will probably join in on the moan, but until then then, just count yourself lucky young man :)

I'm going to agree, I got too busy, it did my head in. I left some bands. It is easier, though if you only have the one band and they're that busy, you're f***ed mate. :)

Seriously, I love playing, but when you start wishing you were home, or out watching another band (I still can't bring myself to bother when I'm not playing, I'd rather be doing something entirely non-related, which is upsetting, cos I used to like watching bands) it is probably time to wind it back a bit, before you end up hating it as much as a real job.

Just had a weekend with just the one set in the middle of the local festival on saturday afternoon, it was nice to see some bands (and they were using my rig for the whole weekend, it sounds much nicer from far away, I'll be keeping that then hoorah!) have a few drinks and a bit of a laugh again. Am down to 2 bands now, and one of them will get the chop if I start to get a taste for weekends again.

It is difficult getting the balance, tho I`m definately one of the "more gigs" type.

In my last band we aimed for 2 gigs a month, and if we got 3, some of the band would say it was too much. I`d have been happy with one gig every weekend - two if I didn`t ache so much the day after.

Must admit though, I`ve been to see loads more bands since we split, and that in itself has been nice, just itching to get back gigging again!

It's been a year since my last gig as we're on a hiatus (our keyboardist joined the Lancashire Hotpots and the guitarist had a baba with his missus just after our last gig) and I do miss it now. As our driver, I used to get pretty stressed out before a gig (wish I had SatNav back then!), couldn't have a beer during or after, so I couldn't 'relax' as much as I'd have liked. While onstage, great, but the build up to it used to knot my stomach something rotten.

The longest stint of gigs we played and was a mini 'tour', playing Stoke, Birmingham, Leeds and our home town Liverpool over a period of five nights, driving back each night as we had nowhere to stay. I'll tell you what, you don't realise how knackered it makes you - I have respect for anyone who plays numerous shows a week!

Maybe you should have a band meeting and consider the possibility of arranging gigs so that you have one weekend in four (or whatever) off? As long as nobody in the band relies on the gigs to make a living, nobody should have a problem.

I've just joined a very busy band - on average 2 gigs a week but we tend to do say 3 one weekend and then have the next weekend off. It works well for us and the drummer makes his living from the band. Mind you, I've got 5 gigs over three days this coming bank holiday so I might not be feeling quite so relaxed after that!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1323299' date='Aug 1 2011, 05:25 PM']If you'd rather being going to see other bands as a punter, then be playing gigs with your own band then I would suggest that this is wrong band for you.[/quote]

Definitely not - I'd rather go see bands [i]in addition[/i] to playing gigs with my own band!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1323221' date='Aug 1 2011, 04:27 PM']...just count yourself lucky young man :)[/quote]

Oh believe me I do! The choice is a no brainer for me, which is why there's so many gigs at the minute - we very rarely turn a gig down because we love to play. I just posted because I literally had just realised I hadn't been to see a band in a while and had one of those "oh" moments, that you can't have a full weekend and also go to see some live entertainment too.

[quote name='Commando Jack' post='1323882' date='Aug 2 2011, 09:42 AM']Definitely not - I'd rather go see bands [i]in addition[/i] to playing gigs with my own band![/quote]
In that case then you need to find a way to make more time. Pack in something that you currently do that interests you less than playing or watching gigs.

It's not the mourning the lose of the weekends imo, it's feeling knackered that sometimes does for me.

2/3 gigs in a weekend late getting home, HAVING to do the domestic bit is tough.......however not going to change a thing, at my age I'm going to gig as much as I can for as long as I can, because one days it's all going to come to a crashing end....