Why become a member? ×

Bass strap height...

GBass

Pretty high. Bit lower than I did in the slappy 80s though.

I play with my thumb at the back of the neck, anything lower is a real pain in the wrist. Can't play anything fluently with a long strap. I realise I look a bit crummy to metal enthusiasts, but then, I'm not one.

Can't see what the relationship to sitting is though. That's only the best height for when you're sitting.

I am full of admiration for Mr Trujilo, playing so well at such an awkward (for me at least) position.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1317673' date='Jul 26 2011, 09:38 PM']Can't see what the relationship to sitting is though. That's only the best height for when you're sitting.[/quote]
It eliminates another variable. If you practice sitting down,like most people do,and you find that you can
play something comfortably and all over the neck,as soon as you stand up with your strap either longer or
shorter your hand are in a different position,especially if you have your strap set to extremes,which can
make things more difficult.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1317464' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:02 PM']Some might say you're trying to compensate for possible inadequacies by placing your instrument at said height :)[/quote]

True, but some also might say I don't play anything complicated enough to need my left hand to be any use at all either :lol:

Plus while you're all sweaty and hot in your trousers and stuff, I am lovely and cool, and not in violation of any laws. :)

Completely depends on what bass I'm playing, what style of music I'm playing and what the band image requires. Luckily I'm still dextrous to be able to play most things at any strap height from just below my chin to just above my knees.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1316712' date='Jul 26 2011, 10:14 AM']Also, it is written that if you are a chap and unable to play your guitar/bass naked without breaking indecent exposure laws your instrument is either too high or too low to not look like the very thing you should be covering. :)
Especially if you have a Ric or a Thunderbird.[/quote]
Sorry if you play a Thunderbird higher than just above the knees you fail.

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1316867' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:08 PM']and it really irritates me all you naughty people out there who think it's big and clever to have it swinging somewhere around your knees ![/quote]
But depending on the music you're playing it looks completely f***ing cool!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1317701' date='Jul 26 2011, 10:02 PM']It eliminates another variable. If you practice sitting down,like most people do,and you find that you can
play something comfortably and all over the neck,as soon as you stand up with your strap either longer or
shorter your hand are in a different position,especially if you have your strap set to extremes,which can
make things more difficult.[/quote]
But I would guess that most of us never sit down when we play live so why practice like that? I practice how I'm going to play the songs live. That's what what practice is for.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='neepheid' post='1316232' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:49 PM']I wear my bass so that it's at the same(ish) height regardless if whether I'm sitting down or standing.[/quote]

Good point, try to have it high enough so that you dont stand up to play, after an hours practice, and find yourself strugling with the change of reach.

Every bass I have is played slightly lower than my hip. This has alway sbeen the case, and it applies to fretted or fretless basses. Anything higher than that makes it feel as if the bass is stuck under my armpit or digging into my ribs :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1318650' date='Jul 27 2011, 08:37 PM']But I would guess that most of us never sit down when we play live so why practice like that? I practice how I'm going to play the songs live. That's what what practice is for.[/quote]
But,if you are practicing material out of a book like 'The Evolving Bassist' or 'Chord Studies'(for example)
rather than rehearsing songs,you don't really want to be standing up for,say,3-4 hours.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1319313' date='Jul 28 2011, 01:58 PM']But,if you are practicing material out of a book like 'The Evolving Bassist' or 'Chord Studies'(for example)
rather than rehearsing songs,you don't really want to be standing up for,say,3-4 hours.[/quote]

I can see the benifit to both. If I am rehearsing a set with my current band which is an acoustic unplugged sitting down type thing then I practise sitting. My other bands which have all been standing and fast driven guitar stuff then I would practise standing up. If I am writing or studying then I sit but once worked out what it is i am going to play, I then stand and practise. I guess its a case of horses for courses and what suits each individual and their situation.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1318650' date='Jul 27 2011, 08:37 PM']But I would guess that most of us never sit down when we play live so why practice like that? I practice how I'm going to play the songs live. That's what what practice is for.[/quote]

I like feeling comfortable at home, so when I practice at home you can bet I sit my lazy backside down :) When I rehearse with the rest of the band, I stand. Either way, the bass is where my hands expect it to be.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1319317' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:04 PM']I can see the benifit to both. If I am rehearsing a set with my current band which is an acoustic unplugged sitting down type thing then I practise sitting. My other bands which have all been standing and fast driven guitar stuff then I would practise standing up. If I am writing or studying then I sit but once worked out what it is i am going to play, I then stand and practise. I guess its a case of horses for courses and what suits each individual and their situation.[/quote]
But now we're on the difference between rehearsing and practising.