Why become a member? ×

festival bass - a dilemma

ahpook

i'm in a dilemma (nice motors, as ted chippington would say)...

the spacerock/techno band i play in have a gig in todmorden (at [url="http://themediablog.typepad.com/the-media-blog/2011/07/bbc-typo.html"]todstock[/url]) in two weeks time and i'm debating which bass to take.

i'd like to take my recently-bought epiphone thunderbird pro, but i only have a softcase for it at the moment - i'd be fine with that if the gig were at a usual venue, but with the mess that fezzies tend to be i'm a little dubious about not having a hardcase.

the other option is my warwick streamer std - which i have a hardcase for and is a little more 'sacrificial' than the thunderbird.

getting a hardcase for the epi isn't an option this month, so do i brave it with a softie, or take the warwick ?

Edited by ahpook

three votes for the warwick - kind of the direction i was leaning.

it's a shame, cos the t-bird sounds great for the type of music, but safety first i guess.

think a bit of warwick set-up tweakage is on the cards for tonight.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1313795' date='Jul 23 2011, 01:39 PM']When i do festivals i soundcheck/linecheck,then put the bass in the car/van until just before stage time,quick tune up,ready to go.I havent used a hardcase at any gig for over ten years.[/quote]

if i were sure of the set-up and logistics of the fezzy i'd prolly do the same, but it's all a bit of an unknown at the moment.

add to that london - craster - preston - todmorden route i'll be taking, i think a hardcase is a must !

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1313663' date='Jul 23 2011, 11:32 AM']Would have to be the Warwick, as you can look after it better.[/quote]

Yup, this.

While I understand the use of gig bags, and there are times when I have little choice but to use them (absolutely nowhere to put a hard case during a gig, for example, and I leave NOTHING in a car, ever), if this bass is your pride and joy, don't take it. But, as mentioned, if it's the bass for the gig, then that is the bass to take, and run with what the day throws at you!

I'll gig any bass, no matter how valuable, but there's no need to be silly about it. There are some basses I won't take to rough pubs, just in case, but I will take them to nice pubs.

If you're worried about your bass getting damaged or nicked, then that's just one more thing to distract you from the real reason you're there, which (IMHO) is to enjoy yourself.

Take whichever bass is most likely to allow you to enjoy yourself. If the pleasure of playing the T-Bird outweighs the worry of damaging it, then take the T-Bird.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1313905' date='Jul 23 2011, 03:50 PM']I'll gig any bass, no matter how valuable, but there's no need to be silly about it. There are some basses I won't take to rough pubs, just in case, but I will take them to nice pubs.[/quote]

i know what you mean - what's the point of having a bass if you don't take it out for a whirl now and again ?

think todmorden on a friday evening = a rough pub ?

:)

[quote name='mike257' post='1314113' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:12 PM']You don't use a case at all? You almost sound proud of it too.

Mr T would undoubtedly pity you.[/quote]
I've seen the light, hard cases are the worst, dead weight.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1314156' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:51 PM']I've seen that many guitars/basses "fall over" in soft cases that even though they might be well padded i like the security of a hard one :)[/quote]

this is kind of my worry - and going top over tail in mud with a bass in a softcase on my back.

thanks for the thoughts folks - i think it's the streamer. thinking about it, the warwick's got a great punchy midrange...it'll sit well with the techno beats.

i'll get a decent case for the t-bird next month.