Why become a member? ×

The Stage Tuner Shootout. Which one will succeed?

Bankai

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1324080' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:13 PM']Well, Bankai did suggest that the Epiphone he used for the shootout has a lower frequency response than others. So maybe that's why he had trouble tuning the B?

Truckstop[/quote]

But why would the PB be influenced by that extended range? Someone said above it could tune down to A without any problem.
I've used mine to tune everything from a passive P to a active Stingray5 e i've never seen it strugling with the tracking.

Cheers

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1324080' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:13 PM']Well, Bankai did suggest that the Epiphone he used for the shootout has a lower frequency response than others. So maybe that's why he had trouble tuning the B?

Truckstop[/quote]

Surely that would translate to a nice strong fundamental - which should make life easier, shouldn't it?

I still suspect that peeps having problems tuning the lower strings aren't bothering to mute the others while doing so...

[quote name='Linus27' post='1310687' date='Jul 20 2011, 07:04 PM']I have the Korg Pitchblack and so far it has been excellent. I love the big bright display but I do feel that its a little fragile...[/quote]

My Pitch Black tuner has been working away quite happily for a couple of years with no problems to report. I'm sure I shouldn't have said that out loud as I've a gig coming up...damn.

In recent years I've used in order TU-2, DT-10, Pitchblack, Polytune.

I would place them in order of worst to best as ...

TU-2 - too flakey - eats batteries
Pitchblack - nice and small - low B no probs - but no non-mute option - a little flakey
DT-10 - reliable - bypass loop - handles low B - but a little on the big side (I still have mine for a back up though :))
Polytune - simply the nuts - very accurate - fast tracking - catches low B - ambient light sensor

Edited by Ou7shined

Pitchblack: Mine is mute when engaged.

Love it to bits, paricularly because of a _really_ legible display, its fast and
solid. I use it to tune my double bass (wonky with fixed neck...!) even that
works - sometimes, it indicates an "A" for the "E" string so seems to go
for the harmonics - but thats a way to approach super low strings anyway
(play the harmonic then tune that).

Only issue I have with the pitchblack is that it is - well - pitch black. So when
it's off, I can't find it in the dark, which is such a contrast to the great visible
display when engaged...!

Also can power other pedals- never used that option though.

I will never part of mine.

Truckstop[/quote]
Yes, the guitar you're using would inevitably be having some effect. I purposefully chose a 5 string thunderbird as it'd be the hardest bass for a tuner.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1332963' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:32 PM']Yes, the guitar you're using would inevitably be having some effect. I purposefully chose a 5 string thunderbird as it'd be the hardest bass for a tuner.[/quote]

But why?

And I still want to know if you bothered muting the strings other than the one you're tuning...

[quote name='topo morto' post='1332972' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:37 PM']But why?

And I still want to know if you bothered muting the strings other than the one you're tuning...[/quote]
Not a problem for the Polytune just strum them all (in standard tunings) and it tells which strings to tune. :)

For ages used a Boss TU-3, switched to a Peterson Strobostomp, brief flirtation with a Korg rack tuner, then a TC Polytune.

The thing they all had in common was that they took up space, they were in the signal chain, they needed powering, and they were crap for bass.

I use a couple of clip on tuners for double bass and bass guitar. I think both are Intellisomethingorother.

I tune with 12th-fret harmonics for the tuner, plus my ears using other harmonics.

ficelles

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1332982' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:40 PM']Not a problem for the Polytune just strum them all (in standard tunings) and it tells which strings to tune. :)[/quote]

Yep I had one of those for a bit... very good as you say, although while I tune BEAD it sometimes liked to imagine I had a G-string. But who can blame it really... 'fnarr'

• 3 months later...

Just bought the new Peterson Strobostomp Classic. Just took delivery a few hours ago so have only played at home but initial impressions are this is the real deal, a quality piece of kit - and so it should be at £140. Built like a brick, it's pretty weighty. Has a built in DI, is True bypass, has sweetened tunings and lots of tuning options including creating your own custom tunings and saving them as presets via usb and supplied software Also considered the Turbo Tuner, and had a pitch black on loan. I have an Artec Big Dot, it's ok but I want to do set ups and it's just not accurate enough.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1323424390' post='1463104']
Just wanted to say thanks to Bankai for taking the time to post up his findings for us.
Cheers fella. Appreciate the thought and the time taken.
[/quote]
You're welcome.
In hindsight I wish I had included the TC Polytuner as well but I hope that this is of some guide!