Why become a member? ×

What do you guys play when sound checking

gt4ever

We generally s/c when the venue is empty - tend to soundcheck (as the full band) playing our opening number, just to get us in the right vibe. Occasionally we s/c with the one song in our set where we tend to have a bit of an issue with the start (it involves counting carefully against a backing tape) as it helps us get it right when we come to play it in the live set.

Just been given a set list for a dep gig , for outside private party which will be in full swing when we arrive, first time ive seen a song listed under sound check on a list, then set 1 and 2, song is sultans of swing

Guess its not a bad idea as the party will already be going

Otherwise, normally with bands, either whatever the guitarists decided to noodle around with, or a song which might need a run through still

[quote name='gt4ever' post='1297772' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:46 PM']Bit of a general question here, but when the pub is full of people and youre setting up you equipment what are your favourite warm up riffs you play when sound checking. I've only done a handful of gigs with my current band so limited experience and was just interested in what people do and play. tunes not in their set, scales? any favourite harmonic riffs to practice to while live audience in the midst?

ta

Rich[/quote]

when checking my bass, I play whatever comes to mind using the appropriate style/sound for the band.
When it's our originals band, where I use no effects and it's 99% fingerstyle with the ocassional slapped bit here and there, sometimes... I'd just go for some fingerstyle and add a bit of slap for the sound guy to get the levels right.
When it's the RHCP tribute, then I make sure I play fingerstyle and slap and use overdrive and an envelope filter and go through it all making sure the sound guy gets to hear my noises and won't be caugh off guard later.

When the band checks together later, we usually play one of our songs that has all the right bits. For instance, one where the main singer and the two harmonies are included, to get the balance between the microphones right. Etc.

Instrument check is about the levels/tonality, so get all the stuff in there: effects, slap, fingerstyle etc. Then play as a band something as "complex" as you're ever going to be...

[quote name='gt4ever' post='1297793' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:57 PM']we've been turning up an hour before start, setting up and pub is pretty busy and then quick 10 min chill then on, so when i mean practice i mean just to loosen up the fingers. just curious on how others do it, on like a non-professional pub band level :)

Rich[/quote]

ah, to loosen up fingers I generally do it with the mute on, or at a volume that cannot be heard above the venue's music... Nobody needs to hear me warm up.

What we do is choose appropriate songs to start that are not technically hard, yet energetic and good "starters", so we do get the first couple of songs to warm up with. In the RHCP band it is usually "By the way" or "Dani California" or something like that.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1297977' date='Jul 9 2011, 08:51 AM']Get singer to stand at the back of the boozer, play Kinky afro by Happy mondays and wait for the singer to make the appropriate directions, you know, kit up, bass down.

He always says the bass is too loud, so I pretend to turn it down and then he says thats much better. Every time!!

Plonker!

Jez[/quote]

I use a wireless... so I get to be the guy standing at the back and hear for myself. Sometimes the bass is indeed much louder than you'd think from the stage sound alone :)
But I would never mind a bit more bass :)

I play the solo from Sir Duke. Just shameless showing off. It's not in our set but it does cover wide range so good for the sound guy.
First time I did it I ended with a flourish was about to shove my bass on it's stand and stroll nonchalantly to the side of the stage while keys and guitar were checked when the engineer's voice came through the monitors, "OK can we have some bass please". Bugger. I just plucked a G four or five times and he moved on. Didn't feel quite so cool after that.

[quote name='Danimal' post='1298299' date='Jul 9 2011, 04:03 PM']Captain Pugwash theme tune.[/quote]

Awesome tune.
(As is the theme to Inspector Gadget and Portland Bill and many others. What is it with 70's/80's kids TV themes?)

Edited for- Extra points for anyone who can cross-handed tap both the bassline and melody of "Airwolf"! That'd be truly phenomenal. And probably impossible.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

In a pub that's already full of people? I play a few random notes up and down the instrument - mostly looking for horrible resonances in the room. If all is well, push the mute button and shut up. Call me grumpy (!) but it really annoys me players noodling away "sound checking" - you know who you are :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1298612' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:26 PM']In a pub that's already full of people? I play a few random notes up and down the instrument - mostly looking for horrible resonances in the room. If all is well, push the mute button and shut up. Call me grumpy (!) but it really annoys me players noodling away "sound checking" - you know who you are :)[/quote]

One of our guitarists said the other day: "I still can't belive that you turn up, plug in, tune up, play a few notes and are ready to play while we haven't even got our guitars plugged in."

It's an experience and confidence thing. Keep your powder dry until the first chord. You'll eventually get to the point of knowing where to set your volume based on the size of the venue without playing a note.

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1298318' date='Jul 9 2011, 04:28 PM']Would be quadruplets if you include a pint of IPA![/quote]

Nope, quintuplets. I hate band sound checks and refuse to do them. If it's a usual gig, it's all done in the first 15 seconds of the first verse. Me on my own? turn on, play four notes, turn down master, put bass on stand, wonder why drummer is still setting kit up and guitarist is frantically swapping patch leads in all combinations.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1298623' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:53 PM']I hate band sound checks and refuse to do them. If it's a usual gig, it's all done in the first 15 seconds of the first verse.[/quote]

Even after soundcheck I see the sound guy working to get all levels right during our first song or two. I think it's not very professional (even if we're amateurs) to start without a basic check.
Call me picky, but then I am happy to hear compliments on the band's sound after the gig.

Or maybe we have a veyr bad soundguy, since you can get it all right in 15 seconds :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1298642' date='Jul 9 2011, 11:27 PM']Even after soundcheck I see the sound guy working to get all levels right during our first song or two. I think it's not very professional (even if we're amateurs) to start without a basic check.
Call me picky, but then I am happy to hear compliments on the band's sound after the gig.

Or maybe we have a veyr bad soundguy, since you can get it all right in 15 seconds :)[/quote]

My reply applies to regular venues that we know. I know most here will dissagree but I just hate sound checks. Having the opportunity to soundcheck in a large empty venue is not a luxury I have too often. We don't have an engineer but we know how it needs to sound. These are not pro band venues and so many times I've been asked to soundcheck, in front of half the audience, playing the first number in the set, only to repeat it 20 minutes later. So, now I say no.

[quote name='TimR' post='1298616' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:38 PM']One of our guitarists said the other day: "I still can't belive that you turn up, plug in, tune up, play a few notes and are ready to play while we haven't even got our guitars plugged in."

It's an experience and confidence thing. Keep your powder dry until the first chord. You'll eventually get to the point of knowing where to set your volume based on the size of the venue without playing a note.[/quote]

+1000

[quote name='leschirons' post='1298770' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:12 AM']My reply applies to regular venues that we know. I know most here will dissagree but I just hate sound checks. Having the opportunity to soundcheck in a large empty venue is not a luxury I have too often. We don't have an engineer but we know how it needs to sound. These are not pro band venues and so many times I've been asked to soundcheck, in front of half the audience, playing the first number in the set, only to repeat it 20 minutes later. So, now I say no.[/quote]

I totally agree. The sound changes completely once you fill the venue (or the man and his dog arrive)

Perhaps a distinction can be made between a "soundcheck" involving playing a song or two through a p.a and balancing levels and e.q, and a "line check" where all cables,amps and speaker connections are tested.
One may be seen as a luxury/embarrassing in front of punters, the other is essential for a good gig.
MM

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1298802' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:59 AM']The folk-rock band I used to be in always soundchecked with Silver Machine! Don't ask me why, it just seemed like the most ridiculous song that a band with a mandolin and fiddle could do.....[/quote]

My old 10-piece funk band used to find itself soundchecking with tunes like Rock You Like A Hurricane, or Tonight I'm Gonna Love You Tonight, whatever the guitarist started playing basically. :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1298802' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:59 AM']The folk-rock band I used to be in always soundchecked with Silver Machine! Don't ask me why, it just seemed like the most ridiculous song that a band with a mandolin and fiddle could do.....[/quote]

Id like to hear that