Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

6 minutes ago, steviedee said:

I just sold my fretless 4003 but still have my fretted one. Made in 1983 I think? I had a real problem when I got the Rick at first.... it sounded terrible! But it was may playing, I was far too heavy a player. My other basses were obviously more forgiving but the Rick was clancking and buzzing and rattling. I had to just stop playing so hard which ironically has improved my playing overall.

rick.thumb.jpg.01a253665f22fc2de9f8ad7d0831987d.jpg

Playing heavy has been something i've struggled with over the years as it caused me a lot  of finger pain. As i'm getting older i have had to adapt and change the way i play mainly because i'm not getting the time between gigs for my finger tips to recover. 

Must admit its that Ric clank that i quite like.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steviedee said:

I just sold my fretless 4003 but still have my fretted Rick. Made in 1983 I think? I had a real problem when I got the Rick at first.... it sounded terrible! But it was my playing, I was far too heavy a player. My other basses were obviously more forgiving but the Rick was clancking and buzzing and rattling. I had to just stop playing so hard which ironically has improved my playing overall.

rick.thumb.jpg.01a253665f22fc2de9f8ad7d0831987d.jpg

And you've even kept the pickup cover in place! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geofio said:

Most important thing with these basses is the setup . Get that wrong and you’re wasting your time. Get it right bass bliss.

@geofioDo you mean specific to your own playing style,  or is there an accepted "right setup"?

I'm curious,  as I'll be setting mine up soon once the new strings arrive and popping it in the for sale section at the end of the month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviedee said:

I actually find the Rick very comfortable to play now and relatively versatile, not just full on aggressive tones ( but mostly 😜).

But the full on aggressive tones are just so satisfying. :D 

But yes, a very versatile beast indeed.

1 hour ago, geofio said:

Yes, specific for the player, that is what it is all about , get it right for that player on a particular bass.

Totally agree. You may find it'll just be very minor tweaks here and there, and getting the string balance right is pretty important too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a 4003 2023 Rickenbacker - specifically in matt black - but it's proving almost impossible here in London, UK.... do they even exist?? What's the easiest way to get my hands on one? Even Rickenbacker's site seems to have been down for months and they haven't responded to my query asking the same thing....  

I once bought a vintage 70's Rickenbacker 4001, because I had that kind of money at that point and loved how it looked, and I very quickly ended up hating it.

It felt awkward clunky in my hands to play, and I wasn't exactly blown away by the tone either.

Most expensive piece of absolute crap I ever bought.

23 minutes ago, Mr Randall said:

I'm looking for a 4003 2023 Rickenbacker - specifically in matt black - but it's proving almost impossible here in London, UK.... do they even exist?? What's the easiest way to get my hands on one? Even Rickenbacker's site seems to have been down for months and they haven't responded to my query asking the same thing....  

Have you tried messaging Rickysounds? They don't have one in matte black but tgey may be able to source one? And they are responsive

https://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product-category/bass-guitars/4003/

• Like 1

I remember playing a 4003 in a shop twenty years ago and lamenting the fact that as a student I couldn't afford the £1300 or whatever it was. If only I'd known 😭

TBF, that was the last time I played one. I'm a lot better at bass now, I'd like to see what the 2024 me thinks of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Randall said:

Does it have to be a 2023 model?  Guitar Guitar, PMT and Andertons will all take an order.  I’m guessing they’ll all take a deposit from you, then you wait until Rickenbacker get round to making some that they allocate to your guitar shop of choice.  I suspect the dealers won’t actually know when they’ll get stock.

If it’s the new bridge and single truss rod you want and that’s why you are looking for a 2023 model, my 2022 4003 in walnut  has both of those features.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 13:13, Mr Randall said:

Yes, they exist... I have this exact bass and purchased it new from GuitarGuitar.  However, I don't believe they are in stock in the UK anymore. 

The 2023 Rics are superb!  Single truss rod, outstanding bridge, powerful pickups, Schaller strap buttons, low action, thin neck...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tvickey said:

Yes, they exist... I have this exact bass and purchased it new from GuitarGuitar.  However, I don't believe they are in stock in the UK anymore. 

The 2023 Rics are superb!  Single truss rod, outstanding bridge, powerful pickups, Schaller strap buttons, low action, thin neck...

Oooohhhhh you've convinced me.

I want one too. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

My 4003s 2023, V63 spec, love this instrument, neck is really flat D profile so easy to play this one. Sounds fantastic with Toaster and Horseshoe. Has the new single truss rod , new bridge and skunk stripe in Fireglo Finish.

53560793510_0ded266604_o.jpg

53559492342_40c0b62b6d_o.jpg

IMG_1083.jpeg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

IS there much difference between the 4003 & 4003s other than the neck inlays and the stereo output.

Do they feel the same to play ?

Dave

Binding to the slab body on a 4003 whereas 4003s is unbound and not slab/more carved, so its more comfy on the forearm and ribs IMHO

8 hours ago, geofio said:

My 4003s 2023, V63 spec, love this instrument, neck is really flat D profile so easy to play this one. Sounds fantastic with Toaster and Horseshoe. Has the new single truss rod , new bridge and skunk stripe in Fireglo Finish.

53560793510_0ded266604_o.jpg

53559492342_40c0b62b6d_o.jpg

IMG_1083.jpeg

It looks good with the matching fireglo lamp and wall paint.  Are the other 3 corners of the room similarly attired in Jetglo, Mapleglo and Walnut? 😀

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 12:13, Mr Randall said:

https://www.wmguitars.com/collections/rickenbacker-semi-hollow/Bass-Guitar

12 hours ago, Simon C said:

It looks good with the matching fireglo lamp and wall paint.  Are the other 3 corners of the room similarly attired in Jetglo, Mapleglo and Walnut? 😀

Autumnglo, Jetglo lol53167223341_5104af9e55_o.thumb.jpeg.d5aef2fbaac16bc47eb7d1115312e85a.jpeg.  

• Haha 1