Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee - Time Machine Tour backline pr0n... *updated*

wateroftyne

[quote name='Conan' post='1291761' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:06 AM']Loving the coloured stickers on the keyboards! :)[/quote]
They're to help him remember which keys trigger various samples & sequences, nothing to do with him not knowing what the notes are.

[quote name='Ross' post='1293066' date='Jul 5 2011, 09:01 AM']What sort of chickens is he using? Flats or rounds?[/quote]

If they're revisiting some of the older, more proggy stuff he'll probably have a capon...

getting coat.

• 3 weeks later...

And all that 20 minutes was he listening to it in isolation?

I have to say I don't dig on any of their sounds at the moment, haven't for a while TBH. Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures albums had their lovliest sounds for me. Just gorgeous to hear.

I had to google instantiation!

"In programming, instantiation is the creation of a real instance or particular realization of an abstraction or template such as a class of objects or a computer process. To instantiate is to create such an instance by, for example, defining one particular variation of object within a class, giving it a name, and locating it in some physical place. "

I'm still not clear.......

[quote name='TimR' post='1312160' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:58 PM']I'm still not clear.......[/quote]

Maybe looking up the definition of 'instance' would help. An 'instance' is a single something of a given type. Instantiation is the creation of an instance. In programming, you often define a set of values and the methods that are used to manipulate those values as a cohesive programming unit, and when you need to do some calculations for a set of data of that type, you create an 'instance' of your programming unit to do the job. The code you wrote is just a template for how those things are done, but when it's given an actual set of data to do it with, that is an 'instance', and that initialisation activity would be called instantiation.

Edit: Just looked at the article. I guess 'Eleven' is an amp modelling simulation, so when he talks about an 'instantiation' of Eleven, it's because he could have several of them running if he wanted to, and each could be doing something different. That's a better example than my example. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

I find it hard to believe the sound was setup in complete isolation .... maybe that's why live his sound is less than what it could be! Surely at that level of show there'd be lots of tweaks done (EQ / mixing / volume) on a per-venue basis?

Quote 'Geddy Lee’s bass sound is a combination of five channels, which represent various aspects of an entire bass sound, and run from clean to distorted-beyond-all-reason'
Not enough of the former an way too much of the latter still for me. As others have said, it's not what he likes or wants in some isolated booth that's really the important thing. It's what it sounds like in the mix of drums, guitars, keyboard samples or whatever else is going on with it in a particular song. They'd be better off starting with a half decent quality recording taken from the audience perspective from a gig with a crowd there and then asking themselves 'is this a good bass sound for that song for the paying public to hear'.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1312186' date='Jul 21 2011, 11:20 PM']Maybe looking up the definition of 'instance' would help....[/quote]

Thanks. It's obviously a well used word in certain circles but I think it's used a bit gratuitously in that article. It almost felt like he was showing off... and then the definition was no better using another shed load of long words. I'm pretty much against dumbing down but sometimes you have to realise, if you're aiming your article at the non technical reader use some friendlier language.

I should probably have used a smiley :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1312672' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:01 PM']...
it's not what he likes or wants in some isolated booth that's really the important thing. It's what it sounds like in the mix of drums, guitars, keyboard samples or whatever else is going on with it in a particular song.
...[/quote]

Unless Rush are aware that Geddy's vocals are fixed and that the songs are pretty much bass led and so the samples/drums etc should sit around the Bass and Vocals. Just sayin' like....

Edited by TimR