Why become a member? ×

A youtube clip with some very nice slapping!

Gwilym

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1291590' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:47 PM']Taste is more important than technique, and judging by the majority of responses this man has very poor taste.

[b]Nobody listens to music because the musician has great technique, if the music is rubbish.[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't entirely agree with this, with respect to the general public you're definitely right, but I think musicians actually will listen to or go to watch someone like that. In fact, I'd say there's a fair number of acts out there made a living from this.

[quote name='Maverick' post='1291676' date='Jul 4 2011, 12:06 AM']I wouldn't entirely agree with this, with respect to the general public you're definitely right, but I think musicians actually will listen to or go to watch someone like that. In fact, I'd say there's a fair number of acts out there made a living from this.[/quote]

And there are people who've made a living from activities ranging from being able to consume aircraft parts to being able to insert beermats into unusual parts of the body and subsequently retrieve them. Good for them.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1291403' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:21 PM']i do hate pigeon holeing of music though.. lift music, Ceefax music. job finder..???. i bet whats gone into it is far and beyond what most of us are capable of[/quote]

+1

That often makes me laugh....
Lift music, Ceefax music, job finder....Underscore for DIY/cooking shows etc
The composers/writers have a [b]good laugh[/b] as well when they are collecting perfomance royalties, back end royalties..
play list income[PRS Youtube deal as well] and just about everything else money wise that goes with it...

More than likely that clip is not every ones cup of tea, but his playing is tight and on the money for sure,

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1291771' date='Jul 4 2011, 08:20 AM']Lift music, Ceefax music, job finder....Underscore for DIY/cooking shows etc
The composers/writers have a [b]good laugh[/b] as well when they are collecting perfomance royalties, back end royalties..
play list income[PRS Youtube deal as well] and just about everything else money wise that goes with it...
Garry[/quote]
Probably not. Of course it varies from deal to deal, but most "library" music is produced for a fixed fee in advance with all rights being transferred to the publisher.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1291820' date='Jul 4 2011, 09:38 AM']Probably not. Of course it varies from deal to deal, but most "library" music is produced for a fixed fee in advance with all rights being transferred to the publisher.[/quote]

Use to be like that, not so anymore.
It really does depend on the library company - plenty of duff ones about, but also plenty of good ones giving you a good deal
So depending on the company, yep for sure you can have a good laugh at being labeled 'lift music' :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1291857' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:07 AM']He's tight, in the pocket and funky. I would be very pleased to have recorded that track.[/quote]
Agree, though slap's not my thing. Not the strongest choice of tune yet it still seemed to have more melody than god knows how many of Wooten's clips that have been posted on here.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1291726' date='Jul 4 2011, 02:32 AM']And there are people who've made a living from activities ranging from being able to consume aircraft parts to being able to insert beermats into unusual parts of the body and subsequently retrieve them. Good for them.[/quote]

My underlying point was that musicians are often willing to listen to and pick up things from someone with great technique even if the music isn't to their tastes, and then go on to integrate that technique into their own music in a way they do like. Not just a case of "Ooh, look at the freak show".

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1291652' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:32 PM']Loving the finger style at the end.[/quote]
I was much more impressed with the finger playing than the previous 2 1/2mins. It didn't help the music did nothing for me.

I'm coming to the conclusion I don't like slap tone. I like to hear the note, not a string hit a fret which is essentially percussive.

I really like that! Very nice note choices and placement, good tone, very nice touch and timing. Composition is fine with some lovely rhythmic displacement. This guy knows exactly what he's doing and seems very musical. If I was auditioning bassists for jazz funk, he would get a very swift invitation.

I so rarely hear musical slapped bass, that was excellent and I really enjoyed it, tasteful and musically very pleasing. Thank you :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1292707' date='Jul 4 2011, 09:04 PM']I thought he was great. The backing track was simply a foil for his slap playing, which was faultless.

Let's give this guy some credit.[/quote]
I have no idea why he is being criticised at all. He has clearly evident musicality in abundance - tonally, technically and emotionally. It shines out to me like a beacon. Maybe some people are unable to recognise it or something. Or just can't get beyond the genre. I personally found it inspiring.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1291590' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:47 PM']Taste is more important than technique, and judging by the majority of responses this man has very poor taste.

Nobody listens to music because the musician has great technique, if the music is rubbish.[/quote]
I would then judge the majority of the respondents as unable to judge taste. The player CLEARLY has taste, certainly in this video.

[quote name='Maverick' post='1292474' date='Jul 4 2011, 05:35 PM']My underlying point was that musicians are often willing to listen to and pick up things from someone with great technique even if the music isn't to their tastes, and then go on to integrate that technique into their own music in a way they do like. Not just a case of "Ooh, look at the freak show".[/quote]
Excellent point well made sir.

[quote name='silddx' post='1292776' date='Jul 4 2011, 09:49 PM']I would then judge the majority of the respondents as unable to judge taste. The player CLEARLY has taste, certainly in this video.[/quote]

There are two issues, first taste in music, and secondly whether the playing is tasteful within the context of a genre and the track. This guy is definitely fitting right in with the feel of the backing track so fair play, whether it's a style you like is a different matter. I'm on the fence for that one, but it's much better, more stylistically sympathetic playing than most slap tracks on youtube!

Well, the guy in the video seems to enjoy the backing track, and I agree, he has 'that' thing down to a tee.

Let me find a guy doing the line to 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' by Adam Clayton/U2, then we'll all meet in the middle in one opinionated mindf***.

Who cares, I thought the guy can play slap, and I LIKE slap, which seems to be as bad as pretty much anything around these parts at the minute FFS, and yes the track is a bit 'not a real band' but I don't give a sh*t either way.

The point by the OP was 'Nice Slapping' and I agree. If I hated slap I would have moved to the next thread, I post where something interests me these days, I help it saves time.

In response to the OP, yeah, he's good eh?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1292816' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:11 PM']Well, the guy in the video seems to enjoy the backing track, and I agree, he has 'that' thing down to a tee.

Let me find a guy doing the line to 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' by Adam Clayton/U2, then we'll all meet in the middle in one opinionated mindf***.

Who cares, I thought the guy can play slap, and I LIKE slap, which seems to be as bad as pretty much anything around these parts at the minute FFS, and yes the track is a bit 'not a real band' but I don't give a sh*t either way.

The point by the OP was 'Nice Slapping' and I agree. If I hated slap I would have moved to the next thread, I post where something interests me these days, I help it saves time.

In response to the OP, yeah, he's good eh?[/quote]
I'd like to think of it as very nice [b]playing[/b], regardless of technique.

[quote name='silddx' post='1292848' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:36 PM']I'd like to think of it as very nice [b]playing[/b], regardless of technique.[/quote]

Are you trying to reinvent the wheel or something?

Just say it's sh*t if you think it's sh*t.

Is it hard being contrary all the time?

[quote name='silddx' post='1292717' date='Jul 4 2011, 09:13 PM'][b]I have no idea why he is being criticised at all.[/b] He has clearly evident musicality in abundance - tonally, technically and emotionally. It shines out to me like a beacon. Maybe some people are unable to recognise it or something. Or just can't get beyond the genre. I personally found it inspiring.[/quote]
That's just the way it works here though. Someone posts something which can only be commented upon by people expressing their personal interpretation of the subject and the next page of responses depends greatly on the first couple of posts, eventually someone else with the opposing view sticks their heads above the parapet and you get a rush of posts from his buddies who strongly agree with him, the thread then dies down a little in the following couple of days with a few tis... tisn't... tis'... then someone who missed it the first time round (who hasn't read all the way through) pipes in with the original POV and well get another half page of tis... tisn't... tis... then next thing you know someone will post about maple vs rosewood or something and we all forget this guy and his chops and go do over there for another bout of tis... tisn't... tis... And the world goes round and round. :)