Why become a member? ×

HH amps?

OreotheBassist

Has anyone heard of these amps before, I can barely find any information on them and I was just wondering if they are any good because I found one on ebay for £40 and was thinking of getting it but just wanted a good review on them. The amp head I found is a HH ELECTRONIC BASSAMP 100, any information on this amp would be greatly appreciated :) .

I'm pretty much a H/H fan, think they made some great bass amps in their time. Though I think they can be an acquired taste :)

More info here: [url="http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/"]H/H Amplification[/url]

Edited by nick

[quote name='OreotheBassist' post='1288139' date='Jun 30 2011, 07:55 PM']Has anyone heard of these amps before, I can barely find any information on them and I was just wondering if they are any good because I found one on ebay for £40 and was thinking of getting it but just wanted a good review on them. The amp head I found is a HH ELECTRONIC BASSAMP 100, any information on this amp would be greatly appreciated :) .[/quote]

HH were were based in Cambridgeshire (Huntingdon IIRC) back in the 70's and through the the mid 80's.
They were bought out by Laney who eventually closed the brand down.

I was never really a big fan of them but they used to have glowing green panels on the front that were quite impressive looking at the time - I do wonder if there was a recollection of them when Trace Elliot bought out their green logo's front panels. :)

Parts wise they're pretty easy to look after - there were no specially designed components other than the electroluminescant front panel.

£40 for a working model is pretty good - I'd probably consider one as an emergency backup but wouldn't rely on it too heavily as a 'main amp'.

HTH

I first saw them in the 70s. A local music store put on a launch at a venue in Stoke. Loads of us sat there looking at a wall of these new amps. The lights dimmed and the amps were switched on. You could literally hear the sound of money coming out of pockets.

I bought a 100w head and installed it in my outhouse. I used to practise with the lights off, and was amazed by the luminous green display.

The amp sounded sh*t.

I had an HH amp & cab in the 80's, at the time it was cheaper than the better known alternatives and I thought it sounded better, played some reasonable size gigs with a six piece Jazz band, drummer, two horns, guitar, keyboards and me and it held its own, never let me down. Used to sound great. I'm sure amps have progressed a lot since then but at £40 would you get anything newer/better?

I had the VS Musician head with a matching 4x12 that was about four foot tall! Must have been very early 80's. Replaced it with a Carlsbro Stingray Pro mega rig (300w head, 150w slave amp, 2x10 cab, 2 x15 cab, all bi-amped).

[quote name='OreotheBassist' post='1288139' date='Jun 30 2011, 07:55 PM']Has anyone heard of these amps before, I can barely find any information on them and I was just wondering if they are any good because I found one on ebay for £40 and was thinking of getting it but just wanted a good review on them. The amp head I found is a HH ELECTRONIC BASSAMP 100, any information on this amp would be greatly appreciated :) .[/quote]
Yes, I love them! :lol:

I've got two HH heads and two of their 1x15 cabs, great stuff, very reliable and bombproof. Bear in mind it is going to give you a more vintage tone, warmer and rounder than some of the more modern ultra-clean amps. £40 is a great price, I'd say go for it!

If it needs any parts replaced/restored, [url="http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/"]these[/url] are the people to speak to. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1288184' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:44 PM']I first saw them in the 70s. A local music store put on a launch at a venue in Stoke. Loads of us sat there looking at a wall of these new amps. The lights dimmed and the amps were switched on. You could literally hear the sound of money coming out of pockets.

I bought a 100w head and installed it in my outhouse. I used to practise with the lights off, and was amazed by the luminous green display.

The amp sounded sh*t.[/quote]

ha ha ..but Pete is right..they were sh**
Good for their day which means the choice was poor.

£40 for a working model and sound you can live with is ok. Could also double as a backup monitor amp.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1288184' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:44 PM']I first saw them in the 70s. A local music store put on a launch at a venue in Stoke. Loads of us sat there looking at a wall of these new amps. The lights dimmed and the amps were switched on. You could literally hear the sound of money coming out of pockets.

The amp sounded sh*t.[/quote]

Ha I wasn't expecting the last line but I agree!

I have used them at various rehearsal rooms up and down the country I would say they were consistent :)

For £40 it would be worth having just to shoot out with an air rifle / backup amp.

• 6 years later...

HH IC100 was one of the first amps guitar amps made by the company. Probably mid 70's IIRC. A guitarist had one

in the band I was in and it was very loud, although the distortion sounds were n't great, bit fizzy.

Used by quite a few people including Marc Bolan, Wilko Johnson and Pink Floyd.

They even have their own facebook page! 

I had the H|H IC100 in the late 70s / early 80s. Worked pretty well for me but then I was in a typical Liverpool band of that era where big hair and a ridiculous name was more important than the music! I think I only bought it for the green lights and because my initials are IC...