Why become a member? ×

What's the difference ?

redstriper

Apologies if this has been posted before.

[url="http://www.guitarstop.com/tour/guitar.htm"]This link[/url] states that Mexican Fender bodies are made from five blocks of Alder which are laminated with an Alder veneer and the top is beveled direct from the lumber supplier, while the [quote]USA Ash bodies are usually made out of 2 pieces of wood, USA Alder bodies are usually made out of 3 pieces of wood.[/quote]
The USA necks incorporate graphite rods and may be made from a higher quality timber, although this isn't made clear.

[quote]All of the American and Mexican made Fender guitars start at the factory in Corona, CA. The lumber for the bodies and necks are shipped to the Corona factory where they are cut, fretted and inspected. At this time it is determined whether a guitar body will be painted a solid color or if the wood is nice enough to have a natural or transparent finish. Extremely nice pieces of wood are set aside for the Custom Shop.[/quote]

[quote]The Corona factory manufactures pickups, pickguards, bridges, metal chassis for amplifiers, neck plates, metal bridge covers and metal pickup covers. The pickguards are stamped out by a machine and the bevel is added by hand with a router.[/quote]

This is from a similar thread on Talkbass:
[quote]The MIM's have their own "parts bin" so to speak that Fender uses, mostly of foreign (read Korea, and China) fabrication that they then send to Mexico to be assembled on to bodies and necks that are finished in Mexico, but originally come from Corona.. they use 5 piece grade A woods on their MIM body's that in the case of the clear finish models have a layer of veneer to give the appearance of a 2 piece body, and Grade A maple necks with no graphite. The are are numerous other differences, but that gives you the idea.. the only similarity between a MIA and and MIM is the name Fender on the head stock and the shape.[/quote]

I've only had one early 92 Mexican (standard, I think thats what they call them?) Fender Jazz bass and it was very disappointing to say the least, I bought it blind without trying!
I also have a 2009 USA jazz, but decided to spend a bit of money getting DiMarzio Noiseless pickups installed on the MIM to try get rid of the awful buzzing from the stock pickups and also try give it a bit more punch but it was still a let- down, that has convinced me that I'm better off going straight for the USA versions than trying to mod what was in my case an inferior bass (it was a lemon).
You do pay a bit more but should get some return on a USA Fender if you need to sell.

I have read that the later model Standard MIM's are better and they could well be, but in my case I won't be buying another, or if I do it will be one I can get my hands on and try first, lesson learned.

[quote name='Machines' post='1285503' date='Jun 28 2011, 06:17 PM']In my mind:

MIM = Made by Mexicans in Mexico.
MIA = Made by Mexicans in USA.

The US models are noticeably better (better cuts of wood, feel a bit more solid etc) but the price difference for me is unjustified.[/quote]

Damn, beat me to it.

I will agree on sometimes the US versions being noticeably better, however the mexicans can have moments. And the Americans can have their F*ck it, it's Friday days aswell.

My MIM is nice in my opinion.

I tried a USA in a shop last week, and it felt a bit nicer, but I cannot afford one.

I had a USA Jazz previously, that was "OK". I would never spend over, say, £300 (used) on a bass without playing it first though.

For my current needs (not to mention funds) the MIM is jsut dandy

Quality control seems to the big difference. You seem to know what you're getting with the MIA's. With the MIM's you can find some that feel like Squires and others that feel like MIA's. Small things like the hardware arn't a nice, but I found that by trying enough MIM's out you can find a gem!

There is a a world of difference between standard MIM basses and their MIA counterparts.

The classic series MIM is however of a much higher standard than the standard MIM and getting near to MIA standards.

That is why I continue to be a great advocate of the MIM classic series.

That series includes 70's and 60's jazzes and 50's precisions

Here's a MIM classic series 50's just sold on ebay with nice tweed case for £520 which is approaching MIA money and desrvedly so because the cliassic series really are very good basses:-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220803146743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Thru-body stringing is the main difference, plus slightly (and sometimes) better finishing on frets etc. And, having looked at Fenders website, the pickups on each are different serial numbers, and from what I can recall, as it doesn`t show specs now, the DC Resistance on MIMs are about 4.5, whereas MIA is about 10.5. Minimal differences though.

I do prefer the MIA Precisions over the MIMs (from the ones I`ve owned and played), but do have to agree that I don`t think they are twice as good - though they are virtually twice as expensive. That`s why I`ve always gone 2nd hand - I think £500/£600 is about the right price for an MIA.

Yes... there is a lot of opinion that the MiM standards are a pos.

I bought one off the bay blind and it became my 'go to' bass over my Ray!

2002 model. It's well made, sounds and plays nice... £250, guess I was lucky.

I've also tried a few of the classic series and they were great, nicely made, good feel and sound with that vintage fender vibe that I prefer to the newer MIA offerings.

I have severe gas for a 57RI or a RoadWorn 50's Precision. Both Mexican I believe.

I get asked this all the time in the shop. The obvious answers are a hard case, better woods, pickups, hardware, and maybe more hand-finishing, etc. But, to be honest, the differences are hard to spot these days, especially with the quality of instruments produced outside the USA. Doddy had a Squier Classic Vibe 51 P off me today, and the quality was superb.

I'm no fender expert, and have never owned one but have played many. IMO the MIJs seem to be in some cases the nicest to play, and if not are at least a preferable trade off between the price and quality difference of the USA models.

I would also add that the Marcus miller sig (4er) is by far the best fender I have ever played, and will probably buy one at some point down the line. It's a Japan model. I've never been able to try a 5er variant (USA made) but does anyone here know of the differences between them (i.e. your opinion on them)?

I agree that the MIM classic series is a bargain.

I have a MIM classic 70s jazz that I bought off Ou7shined and I'm still agonising over whether it's the equal of my US 75 RI. It's certainly a close run.

I think the US has better looking body wood and the US neck binding has a nicer yellow colour but how much extra cost is involved in this?

They both play and sound brilliant. Perhaps the US 75RI is a bit more ballsy sounding but it's close.

If I was on a budget I'd be perfectly happy with the MIM and I feel a bit guilty owning both so maybe one will be sold eventually.

It could be either. :)

Frank.

PS. I'm not convinced at all by talk of " made in US and shipped to Mexico for assembly". I put that sort of thing down to marketing keek. I worked in San Diego. I would say 95% of the workforce was Mexican where I worked - but the products were punted as US built. I lean towards thinking it makes little or no difference except in the buyers perception.

On the standard j/p basses it's built to a mucher higher spec with modern features like graphite rod in the neck. So part of the cost difference is there and part is in the MADE IN USA stamp.

Things get a bit hazy as mentioned above, I'm not a massive fan of the standard MIM basses (although i heard a rumour that they have improved in recent years) but amongst the various classic/deluxe/artist basses there are some really good ones.

The American standard basses are very good but especially now they might not be worth the money and a high spec MIM will probably provide better bang for buck.

You're only allowed in Trumpet-playing, Maracas clacking, Castinet whacking bands with a Made in Mexico Fender ! Seriously, they built the Ensenada fectory in Nortern Mexico to take advantage of their lax paint/chemical emission laws, which are too tight in the USA. Even most of the US made models are sent over the border for spraying. I suppose the cheap labour costs didn't go amiss either. I have spoken to a Fender guy who has been there, & he says they are now a very skilled workforce & are producing some top class instruments. I have a 'Classic Player' series '50s Strat & it is really good. I have compared it to a similar USA Vintage reissue model & it even has the exact same US pickups. I couldn't hear a difference.

Tony.

Of the few Precisions I've had, my top 3 goes like this:

1: 1990 MIJ Squier Precision - The best sounding and best playing P bass I've ever had. All original - £100 from ebay.
2: MIM Precision - Almost as good as the above. Lovely neck, comfortable and fast. Pimped with a SDQP - £350 used.
3: 1978 Fender Precision - Mojo a plenty, lots of thump, bit heavy. All original - £800 used.

I've had a couple of US Standards, and I can't remember what they were like. That says quite a bit to me.

Back on topic.....the Mexican one was a beauty. Good build quality and easy to play, OK, I put a QP in there, but only for the sake of it really, the original pup was fine as it was. To me, like with [i]ANY[/i] make of bass, if you look around and try a few, you can find a really good example, and with the price difference between MIM and MIA, I'd go for a [i]nice[/i] MIM every time.

MIJ of course is in the mix too, but my experience with (older) MIJ Fenders hasn't been good. I had an MIJ Jazz, admitedly an oldish one, but it was rubbish in most respects, maybe I was unlucky.

My MIM jazz is great. I fitted a J-East though because I decided to become a one-bass kind of a guy and wanted a bigger tonal palette than it already had. I think I'm lucky too, it feels great, it's not too heavy, neck's perfect, feels solid and the finishing was superb (until I acted like a complete tool and decided to relic it.... and then re-finish it in the same colour it was before!)
However, I do prefer the look of the USA Jazz V headstocks. The MIM ones look a little too long to me.

Truckstop