Why become a member? ×

Auralex Gramma pad

tonyclaret

Hi, I've been contemplating getting one of these to control unwanted boom on hollow stages. Having read a couple of posts on here I am getting concerned that because I am only using one small cab a bergantino AE112 I wil lose a lot of umph and wanted bass coupling. Any thoughts I was convinced up until reading this as there are hundreds of good reviews.
Any thoughts?

[quote name='tonyclaret' post='1281862' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:19 AM']Hi, I've been contemplating getting one of these to control unwanted boom on hollow stages. Having read a couple of posts on here I am getting concerned that because I am only using one small cab a bergantino AE112 I wil lose a lot of umph and wanted bass coupling. Any thoughts I was convinced up until reading this as there are hundreds of good reviews.
Any thoughts?[/quote]
If there's an occasion where you're losing umph and need bass coupling, take it out from under your cab. Fixed in five seconds. :)

I use mine all the time, even if I'm using a single 2x10, and all I notice is tighter, more defined bass. Not less of it...

You won't lose any "umph", you'll lose muddiness and boom, exchanging them for a more focused sound.

Coupling is to do with being close to the floor, not to physically touching it everywhere.

A Gramma Pad will make no audible difference (IME) if you're playing on a concrete floor or flagstones, or whatever. Use one on a wooden stage or similar, though, and the difference is huge.

Do you really need the cab to “couple” with the stage if the cab is good enough?

I use a GRAMMA with my all my cabs, and on every gig. As far as I can tell, because I don't do with/without tests, the GRAMMA improves the sound when it can but doesn't detract when it’s not needed.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1282018' date='Jun 25 2011, 11:54 AM']I use a GRAMMA with my all my cabs, and on every gig. As far as I can tell, because I don't do with/without tests, the GRAMMA improves the sound when it can but doesn't detract when it’s not needed.[/quote]

Same here - And I couldn't agree more!

[quote name='tonyclaret' post='1282210' date='Jun 25 2011, 03:41 PM']Thanks guys. A purchase is imminent![/quote]
Any thoughts on the gramma bag? Has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Although I haven't seem one in the flesh it looks like a bog standard nylon bag for £38!

I can't imagine why anyone would need a carry bag for one of these. It's a simple, robust, lightweight piece of kit with a carry handle built in. There are no loose bits to fall off or get lost.

In the unlikely event that I needed to carry it like a suitcase (why?) I'd simply put a couple of luggage straps around it and tie the loose ends to make a handle.

[quote name='tonyclaret' post='1282495' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:24 PM']Any thoughts on the gramma bag? Has anyone found a cheaper alternative? Although I haven't seem one in the flesh it looks like a bog standard nylon bag for £38![/quote]

I used to use a bedchair bag for carp fishing i picked up second hand for a fiver - not paying nearly £40 for a bag to carry a plank of wood with some foam stuck to it!
I imagine the large fishing carryalls designed for keep nets would be big enough as well.

It might pay to have a nosy around fishing and camping shops for something that will fit.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1282829' date='Jun 26 2011, 10:18 AM']Wot 'e sed.[/quote]

I like one trip from the van to venue, the bag i bought holds a Gramma and my similar sized pedalboard meaning i have a two free hands to carry a flightcase and my cab.

Although my dad now uses that bag to actually transport his fishing chair so i'll have to buy another when i start gigging again!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1282864' date='Jun 26 2011, 10:56 AM']I like one trip from the van to venue, the bag i bought holds a Gramma and my similar sized pedalboard meaning i have a two free hands to carry a flightcase and my cab.

Although my dad now uses that bag to actually transport his fishing chair so i'll have to buy another when i start gigging again![/quote]

That's a cracking idea, me being a fisherman too!! I think I may have a carryall lying around. I was hoping to find something that would carry a pedal board and micro amp in one journey. Fantastic, might even be able to get something with two separate compartments. Cheers

[quote name='tonyclaret' post='1281862' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:19 AM']Hi, I've been contemplating getting one of these to control unwanted boom on hollow stages. Having read a couple of posts on here I am getting concerned that because I am only using one small cab a bergantino AE112 I wil lose a lot of umph and wanted bass coupling. Any thoughts I was convinced up until reading this as there are hundreds of good reviews.
Any thoughts?[/quote]

I find using one with my 1212L gets me a cleaner, as in less muddy tone on the hollow wooden stages you often find in Social clubs and pubs.
I've never like elevating my cab off the ground due to the loss of low end (or seeming loss of low end) but the Gramma pad helps keep the low end but reduces the cloud of mud that you normally get.
Its not perfect and it wont preform miracles but for hollow stages its a must.

I use mine for every gig now, if nothing else it helps get the small rig a bit higher.

As for carrying it, i just use the handle :-)