Why become a member? ×

No Glasto 'Look at that Bass!' Thread Yet?

merello

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1281676' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:41 PM']I'm guessing your band are pretty good then?[/quote]

We are mainstage headlining a three day festival next weekend, although admittedly it is not glastonbury ;-) If you are in Portsmouth come and see us.

Last year when we played the same festival the singers tendon snapped on his knee cap in the first song. He still completed the set then went straing to A + E and was in a cast for six months.

We think we are quite good ;-)

[quote name='4000' post='1282145' date='Jun 25 2011, 02:18 PM']Have you heard their albums? Stood still? Hardly.

As for the pub band thing, er, this is the [i]original band[/i]. You could say that about anyone. And the Gabriel/Bowie comment is a bit weird; they're considered/expected to be fairly eclectic anyway. Not everyone needs to chop and change as much as they do. If I go and see Bowie, yes I might want/expect a few left turns, but if I go and see AC/DC I (and most fans) most definitely [i]don't want [/i]any left turns. If the songs are strong enough (always a matter of opinion) why change them? If it ain't broke etc...I just don't get your argument at all, other than arguably from a muso perspective. Which strangely enough, most punters aren't.....[/quote]

If what you get is a the CD version why go and see them? No point at all...you know every turn they will make. The Edge does his thing and the other guys do their thing...same as, everytime. A 4 piece such as they is pretty limting, the style they use on every song, even more so... what was once ground-breaking is now hammered to death.. why make it blantantly obvious the limitations of the format and the band and the fact they have run out of ideas...

If their fans want that, then fine, carry on. But I can't believe they can't be arsed to ask where they want this or that version to go.. I expect that from decent cover bands.

Financially they are sorted, but artistically, they sound shot..and I doubt that is the legacy they would want..or maybe they do..and if so, they deserve the stick.

As I said..I don't care...but I expected more from these guys. But, hey, they have milked the same thing for 25 years..they got a very good run out of it.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1282208' date='Jun 25 2011, 03:36 PM']If what you get is a the CD version why go and see them? No point at all...you know every turn they will make. The Edge does his thing and the other guys do their thing...same as, everytime. A 4 piece such as they is pretty limting, the style they use on every song, even more so... what was once ground-breaking is now hammered to death.. why make it blantantly obvious the limitations of the format and the band and the fact they have run out of ideas...

If their fans want that, then fine, carry on. But I can't believe they can't be arsed to ask where they want this or that version to go.. I expect that from decent cover bands.

Financially they are sorted, but artistically, they sound shot..and I doubt that is the legacy they would want..or maybe they do..and if so, they deserve the stick.

As I said..I don't care...but I expected more from these guys. But, hey, they have milked the same thing for 25 years..they got a very good run out of it.[/quote]

It appears that your own personal preferences are blinding you to what most people want to see. The point of going to see them is the [i]atmosphere[/i], to be part of the event, and to actually see the real band play the songs they wrote. Most people who aren't musos could care less if they did a samba version of I Will Follow, a garage version of Pride or a 20-minute improv around One. They've never claimed to be virtuosos or to be particularly left-field, and of course they do what they do. What's wrong with a (more or less) greatest hits show at a gig like that? What's wrong with a greatest hits show anyway?

FWIW, "milked the same thing for 25 years" sound like you rather do care. If you really didn't care then why bother posting at all?

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1282080' date='Jun 25 2011, 01:00 PM']I like u2 and Adam Clayton is the perfect bass player for the band. After all, he`s the only one who has had the job! He does use an obscene amount of basses to get mostly the same sound. Was that a Wawick semi he was playing at one point?

To me, they seemed kind of Edgy (?) on stage, partly due to them being out of their comfort zone and let`s face it, the weather was shocking. I think that Edge was having problems with that pedal board as it was covered in polythene at one point.

Jez[/quote]

yes that was a warwick semi. it's the update of the framus star bass.

Edited by stoker

[quote name='JTUK' post='1282208' date='Jun 25 2011, 03:36 PM']If what you get is a the CD version why go and see them? No point at all...you know every turn they will make. The Edge does his thing and the other guys do their thing...same as, everytime. A 4 piece such as they is pretty limting, the style they use on every song, even more so... what was once ground-breaking is now hammered to death.. why make it blantantly obvious the limitations of the format and the band and the fact they have run out of ideas...

As I said..I don't care...but I expected more from these guys. But, hey, they have milked the same thing for 25 years..they got a very good run out of it.[/quote]

For somebody who doesnt care (Twice), you seem to have alot to say about them, all of which is negative. If you've ever seen U2, you'll know that they rarely play the tracks as they were on the albums. They did Glastonbury by popular demand. Its a gig with a wide audience, not their fans, from age 8 to 80. At that type of gig, the audience expects exactly what they delivered.

Same thing for 25 years, you clearly havent listened to [i]any[/i] of their many albums, granted there are some poor ones, which is inevitable after 35 years, but every 3 or 4 years they produce a classic album, none more so tha their atom bomb lp of 2009, which has some great work on it.

I'm not their biggest fan, but think they need to be defended from such ignorant views, as an earlier response, i just dont get the negativity. Especially when you talk about Peter Gabriel???

I guess its all a matter of taste though, and even if i dont like a particular band or artist, i would certainly respect them for what they do, and if, like U2, they have producing top selling albums, and tours for over 30 years, i'd have to accept, that the majority are probably right, and i may be missing something.

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1282180' date='Jun 25 2011, 03:00 PM']We are mainstage headlining a three day festival next weekend, although admittedly it is not glastonbury ;-) If you are in Portsmouth come and see us.

Last year when we played the same festival the singers tendon snapped on his knee cap in the first song. He still completed the set then went straing to A + E and was in a cast for six months.

We think we are quite good ;-)[/quote]

So, whats the band called?, any youtube clips? Obviously we all need to compare you to U2, and see what Glastonbury is missing?

Tinie Tempah bass dude is called Rick James - monster player from London, he's got a Streamer 6 string, he was in BGM recently and plays around town a bit in various bands - he's endorsed by Mark Bass - good to see a guy like him doing the big stages, he's a killing jazz funk player.

[quote name='4000' post='1282291' date='Jun 25 2011, 05:34 PM']It appears that your own personal preferences are blinding you to what most people want to see. The point of going to see them is the [i]atmosphere[/i], to be part of the event, and to actually see the real band play the songs they wrote. Most people who aren't musos could care less if they did a samba version of I Will Follow, a garage version of Pride or a 20-minute improv around One. They've never claimed to be virtuosos or to be particularly left-field, and of course they do what they do. What's wrong with a (more or less) greatest hits show at a gig like that? What's wrong with a greatest hits show anyway?

FWIW, "milked the same thing for 25 years" sound like you rather do care. If you really didn't care then why bother posting at all?[/quote]

I wasn't going to bother posting about them again..but just to say, I'd go to see and band to be wowed... to see something special..neither of which would apply to the act concened the way they go about things...which is shame but there you go.

I just thought it a poor show to be rehashing the same thing since day one....and that is the theme of my post. It could be a any number of acts, possibly, but it is certainly true of this one.

Now Jesse J...that girl is a star. Very impressed for a first major festival

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1282331' date='Jun 25 2011, 06:13 PM']For somebody who doesnt care (Twice), you seem to have alot to say about them, all of which is negative. If you've ever seen U2, you'll know that they rarely play the tracks as they were on the albums. They did Glastonbury by popular demand. Its a gig with a wide audience, not their fans, from age 8 to 80. At that type of gig, the audience expects exactly what they delivered.

Same thing for 25 years, you clearly havent listened to [i]any[/i] of their many albums, granted there are some poor ones, which is inevitable after 35 years, but every 3 or 4 years they produce a classic album, none more so tha their atom bomb lp of 2009, which has some great work on it.

I'm not their biggest fan, but think they need to be defended from such ignorant views, as an earlier response, i just dont get the negativity. Especially when you talk about Peter Gabriel???

I guess its all a matter of taste though, and even if i dont like a particular band or artist, i would certainly respect them for what they do, and if, like U2, they have producing top selling albums, and tours for over 30 years, i'd have to accept, that the majority are probably right, and i may be missing something.[/quote]

Not worth replying to this post...

time for a quick vent, about the dominance of radio 1 cretin culture, which not only is dominating the bbc coverage of glastonbury but also seems to be affecting the acts selected to play.

from the bbc coverage you would be forgiven for thinking there were only about 10 bands playing, all of them meticulously selected by the big wig f*** wits that sit in bbc towers eating satans sh*t out of some other big wig f*** wits asshole.

when i first went to glastonbury, there was a radio 1 stage. a place you could walk past and laugh at, on your way to watch cyprus hill at the pyramid stage. but there seems to have been a seismic shift and now like dan ashcroft predicted, THE IDIOTS ARE WINNING.

turn your tv off im sure people will say, fine i will. but i remember when glastonbury was more than just a platform for mainstream culture, and in all fairness im sure there's great acts on right now that just arent being aired. its all just a bit meh.... but goddamn it, i wanna see the f'kin wu-tang clan set

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1282400' date='Jun 25 2011, 07:50 PM']time for a quick vent, about the dominance of radio 1 cretin culture, which not only is dominating the bbc coverage of glastonbury but also seems to be affecting the acts selected to play.

from the bbc coverage you would be forgiven for thinking there were only about 10 bands playing, all of them meticulously selected by the big wig f*** wits that sit in bbc towers eating satans sh*t out of some other big wig f*** wits asshole.

when i first went to glastonbury, there was a radio 1 stage. a place you could walk past and laugh at, on your way to watch cyprus hill at the pyramid stage. but there seems to have been a seismic shift and now like dan ashcroft predicted, THE IDIOTS ARE WINNING.

turn your tv off im sure people will say, fine i will. but i remember when glastonbury was more than just a platform for mainstream culture, and in all fairness im sure there's great acts on right now that just arent being aired. its all just a bit meh.... but goddamn it, i wanna see the f'kin wu-tang clan set[/quote]

Whats going on with everyone, why the major issue?

Don't people realise that mainstream TV will show mainstream programmes, and things that the mainstream will want to watch. If you want to watch lesser known bands, then go see them, it really is that simple, but don't be naive about the bigger picture. I agree, there will be lots of great acts not being aired, its a festival that has music played from 10am to 11pm every day, the highlights programmes give it about 3 hours airtime a day, so naturally they will play the better known bands.

Just because you dont like them??

Why don't the BBC show Dagenham & redbridge matches on Match of The Day, and show Man U or Chelsea instead?, same thing, the majority would rather see that. Its how it is, and will always be, and most people would accept that, wether it meets their own personal choice or not.

The idiots are winning?? mmmm, i think not.

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1282400' date='Jun 25 2011, 07:50 PM']time for a quick vent, about the dominance of radio 1 cretin culture, which not only is dominating the bbc coverage of glastonbury but also seems to be affecting the acts selected to play.

turn your tv off im sure people will say, fine i will. but i remember when glastonbury was more than just a platform for mainstream culture, and in all fairness im sure there's great acts on right now that just arent being aired. its all just a bit meh.... but goddamn it, i wanna see the f'kin wu-tang clan set[/quote]

I remember it well and saw a few agitated 'coppers' wandering past as Cypress Hill belted out ' f*** the police'......
Would I go now....doubt it, having enough trouble bothering to watch the BBC coverage

[quote name='merello' post='1282413' date='Jun 25 2011, 08:11 PM']Musical taste is so personal that I try my best not to comment on other peoples as it makes you look like a slevvery, rabid twit![/quote]

yes sir you are right, good night all im off to some toilet venue to watch my mates perform

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1282421' date='Jun 25 2011, 08:14 PM']yes sir you are right, good night all im off to some toilet venue to watch my mates perform[/quote]
Tell us more........

....ps - I'd give it about a day before I'm proved a hypocrite slagging someone!

eg - Did not like friendly fire but wondered if it was a Basschatter playing as there was a Peavey T40 bass on show.

Edited by merello