Why become a member? ×

Shuker JJ Burnel P Bass

Raggy

Been the lucky owner for a few months of a fantastic Shuker P - bit of a twist, it is a five string fretless with a real old school vibe - amarello fingerboard to look like maple but not wear out too quickly. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173985-nbd-shuker-5-string-fretless-p-style/page__fromsearch__1

I love this bass to bits, don't even have a back-up. Does everything I want and more - slighly grungey versions of Dylan but also backs off nicely for "acoustic" sets.

Also got it for what I considered a very fair price.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the quote is 6 months, but I'd say to mentally add an extra month. (Or six weeks) It seems like a lot of the finalising work is where the delay kicks in. I know that Jon is not ready to let a bass go until it's something he's proud of. And in fairness Jon did a one off custom job on the logo on mine which he wasn't happy with at first.

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1349280744' post='1824247']
That's pretty good. (Have you seen it? Whatchya getting? I may have seen yours when I collected mine)
[/quote]It's an Olympic White P/J Bass with a 51 Vintage Pick up at the neck ! Bound and Blocked Rosewood Fretboard , Aged Pearl pickguard , Seymour Duncan Pick ups ( 51 Tele , P & J ! ) Black Chrome stack knobs , Chrome Gotoh 201 Bridge and Chrome Schaller Bml Tuners . !!!!!!!!

Bloody Hell ! This week is taking it's time !!!

I haven't seen it yet , can't wait though :)

Edited by mike 110

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1347659277' post='1803861']

Just took ownership of "Suite 16" My one-off (Serial number "16") Shuker JJB PBass. The Black Headstock, rare Rosewood board and mirror plate was my personal request, and as it was to be a "Special one off" Jon agreed! It plays like the best pbass ever, and tomorrow I shall get to hear it at volume... I'll let you know!
[/quote]

Beeeeyooootifullll! Congrats!

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1347743587' post='1804633']
Man alive! Rehearsed it today... Sounds brill. Plug n go. Sounded great without fannying... And the most even tone across the entire bass I've ever experienced! Top of the neck on the G string still sounds big and fat and the big open E isn't swampy, it's crisp and tight... Totally went straight to the top of my go-to bass list.
I can highly reccommend this bass if anone is fence sitting... It has exceeded my expectations by quite a margin.
[/quote]

Superb! Well happy to hear it! - I have to say, that in my 'job' I get to play some amazing high end basses and I still can't figure how Jon manages to make basses that are truly amazing at his quoted prices he has stuck to for years, usually lower than those on his website. The guy will never be rich, he's waaaay to generous!

I love his basses and he is an amazing chap too. We've already designed my next Shuker. The spec is a total peach!

Well ! I've got my bass ......but I'm afraid I can't post any pics yet as my laptop is out of power and the charger cable is unusable . I'm using the wife's iPad at the mo , but don't know how to put up the pics that I've taken . A new charger is due today or tomorrow , hopefully , so as soon as it arrives I'll put some pics up .

• 10 months later...

Well I eventually got round to ordering one (thanks to Dood) and have had it a few weeks with 2 gigs under it's belt and I could not be happier.

It's a standard JJ but with black hardware, D-tuner, Babicz bridge and an East P Retro (which to be honest, it does not need, but adds more to what is already there).

It can be very aggressive but also very responsive depending on how it is played. I can actually hear notes on the D and G strings so much more clearly now.

Perfect neck for me, have got Roto heavys on it, have been using flats for a few years but am enjoying the snarl too much at the mo :)

Jon was great throughout, it took roughly 7 months to get here which I dont think is too bad.

I love it, I've got my dream bass :)

[attachment=143266:jj-1.jpg]
[attachment=143267:jj-2.jpg]
[attachment=143269:jj-4.jpg]

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1378576844' post='2202080']
Well I eventually got round to ordering one (thanks to Dood) and have had it a few weeks with 2 gigs under it's belt and I could not be happier.

It's a standard JJ but with black hardware, D-tuner, Babicz bridge and an East P Retro (which to be honest, it does not need, but adds more to what is already there).

It can be very aggressive but also very responsive depending on how it is played. I can actually hear notes on the D and G strings so much more clearly now.

Perfect neck for me, have got Roto heavys on it, have been using flats for a few years but am enjoying the snarl too much at the mo :)

Jon was great throughout, it took roughly 7 months to get here which I dont think is too bad.

I love it, I've got my dream bass :)

[attachment=143266:jj-1.jpg]
[attachment=143267:jj-2.jpg]
[attachment=143269:jj-4.jpg]
[/quote]

That is just stunning. Very jealous, it's my dream bass too.

Lovely bass. Are those the cast resin lightweight tuners, as seen on the new 'lightweight' chambered JJ bass, or are they just black ones? Look fantastic anyway.This dream bass thing is all very well, but life gets dull when you can't think of a bass you'd rather have than the one you've got, which is what happened to me after I got my Shuker JJ. :)