Why become a member? ×

Ibanez basses

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

Currently I play a Jazz bass by Vintage which I really like and which plays great, but longer term I'm thinking about getting something better/different. I quite like the look of the Ibanez SR range--specifically the higher end ones like the SR600, SR700. Anyone got any comments on Ibanez basses? Are there better things available for similar cash?

My requirements are a bit vague (I'm very early on in my research...). I need a slim/small neck because I have small hands. I don't like things with lots of bling. Lightweight is good. Soundwise we're talking as versatile as possible (I'm into pretty much everything except metal) for both recording and gigging. I don't like musicman styles. I want a "keeper". I probably only want 4 strings. I don't have unlimited funds, so lets say less than £1000 (preferably a lot less!!). Anyone care to point me in the direction of anything specific?

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1279244' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:50 PM']I also like Yamaha instruments a lot, so these might be worth checking out too.[/quote]

Yamaha make some great instruments (I've owned several) but I don't get on with the aesthetics of their basses. It may be shallow to dismiss a bass based on looks---but when there are so many great playing/sounding basses that I *do* like the look of theres not much point settling for something I'm not aesthetically pleased with! :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1279256' date='Jun 23 2011, 12:03 AM']Yamaha make some great instruments (I've owned several) but I don't get on with the aesthetics of their basses. It may be shallow to dismiss a bass based on looks---but when there are so many great playing/sounding basses that I *do* like the look of theres not much point settling for something I'm not aesthetically pleased with! :)[/quote]

Totally. :-)

I am not keen on the newer (well, not the older) BB shapes at all, and this would put me off personally.

i have an ibanez sr506, happy with the sound, look, feel and weight however the bridge proved to be a real problem. i actualy have 2 in my possesion at the moment and the both fall down the same pit hole. The grub screws sink into the saddles creating clinky noises when fretted. especialy on the A,D and G strings. had to buy a new bridge as the stock ones are seemling awful. theres a few bits and bobs on the net slating the 'nez SR506 bridges. i would imagine its a problem with the stock bridges on the whole SR series although i can only seem to find complaints about the 506 series...

I've been an SR505 owner for quite a few years now and it's my 'go to' bass over my Fender Jazz.
It's light, well balanced and has a neck that just begs you to try doing things you'd never tried before.

They're superb value for money - go try one out.

Bide your time and search Ebay for an old SR1205*. After shipping, duty and VAT it will still be less than a grand, and it will be the best bass you ever play (after you upgrade the electronics).

*There are two versions of the old SR1205 - one with a maple body and gold hardware, and the best bass I have ever played, the mahogany body with black hardware. There is also the new version, which has a bolt-on neck; I have not tried (nor seen) the new one.

My daughter has a GSR200 (Ithink thats the model) that she found on ebay for about £100 with a decent hardcase.

Got to say it's impressive especially after I gave it a decent set up.

I went to see her play at an all dayer a few weeks back. There were a whole load of bands on playing a few numbers each. Nearly every other bass player was using a P bass and the sound was muddy and horrible. Her Ibanez cut through and each note could be heard and sat very nicely in the mix. It was an eye opener for me and I love P basses.

I'm a big fan of the SR range and have an SR1016 and an SR20th 5. They generally have a huge range of sounds and are for me, by far the most playable basses I've encountered. The necks may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find them ridiculously fast and smooth to play. Particularly those with wenge necks - now becoming a rarity.

I've tried out SR500's, 600's etc - i.e. the recent non-Japanese made ones - and these all play great, have nice sounds and appear to be very solidly constructed. You can pick them up second hand for only a few hundred, which to me seems an absolute steal - a lot of bass for your money.

However, the recent Japanese-made ones (generally the Prestige range of SRs - the SR1000/5/6e, SR3000/5/6e, SR20th, SR4000/5/6 and SR5000/5/6 amongst others) for me are a class above. The sound and quality leaps out immediately and these feel almost like boutique basses. These are modelled on the older ones like the previously mentioned SR1200 range, which were also made in Japan. Unfortunately, these all come with a higher price tag new, which I personally feel is a little steep.

For some reason, high-end Ibanez really don't seem to keep their value - I guess it's maybe to do with the quality of their cheaper basses, meaning most people can't justify the additional cost for a disproportionate increase in quality. Great if you want to pick one up second hand, but not so good if you get one new and decide it's not for you.

In terms of cons, Ibanez electronics have a reputation for being a bit temperamental - something I've experienced. Though I've not found repairs to be costly - and it's probably something that you could sort yourself with the right know how and a steady solder hand.

I've also found them a little neck-heavy, mainly because of the slim and lightweight bodies. Generally the SRs are very lightweight, but the tend to naturally hang horizontally, rather than at a slight upwards angle, which I prefer. This is particularly notable on the six string models, where there is more neck wood.

For up to a £1000, you will easily find a decent Ibanez. If it was me, I would look for one of the Japanese made ones second-hand, either one of the current or recent SR Prestige models, or one of the older ones like an SR1200, SR800 or SR3000e.

Just to add my bit, I've a MIJ SR765 - apparently worth less than £300 - that is astonishingly good for this price point...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='1279353' date='Jun 23 2011, 08:46 AM']I'm a big fan of the SR range and have an SR1016 and an SR20th 5. They generally have a huge range of sounds and are for me, by far the most playable basses I've encountered. The necks may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find them ridiculously fast and smooth to play. Particularly those with wenge necks - now becoming a rarity.

I've tried out SR500's, 600's etc - i.e. the recent non-Japanese made ones - and these all play great, have nice sounds and appear to be very solidly constructed. You can pick them up second hand for only a few hundred, which to me seems an absolute steal - a lot of bass for your money.

However, the recent Japanese-made ones (generally the Prestige range of SRs - the SR1000/5/6e, SR3000/5/6e, SR20th, SR4000/5/6 and SR5000/5/6 amongst others) for me are a class above. The sound and quality leaps out immediately and these feel almost like boutique basses. These are modelled on the older ones like the previously mentioned SR1200 range, which were also made in Japan. Unfortunately, these all come with a higher price tag new, which I personally feel is a little steep.

For some reason, high-end Ibanez really don't seem to keep their value - I guess it's maybe to do with the quality of their cheaper basses, meaning most people can't justify the additional cost for a disproportionate increase in quality. Great if you want to pick one up second hand, but not so good if you get one new and decide it's not for you.

In terms of cons, Ibanez electronics have a reputation for being a bit temperamental - something I've experienced. Though I've not found repairs to be costly - and it's probably something that you could sort yourself with the right know how and a steady solder hand.

I've also found them a little neck-heavy, mainly because of the slim and lightweight bodies. Generally the SRs are very lightweight, but the tend to naturally hang horizontally, rather than at a slight upwards angle, which I prefer. This is particularly notable on the six string models, where there is more neck wood.

For up to a £1000, you will easily find a decent Ibanez. If it was me, I would look for one of the Japanese made ones second-hand, either one of the current or recent SR Prestige models, or one of the older ones like an SR1200, SR800 or SR3000e.[/quote]

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I could be on to a winner (eventually).

Does anyone know if the necks are much the same size/shape across the range? I'm not against buying online but I'd be reluctant to do so without being confident that the neck would suit me (I find some basses almost unplayable...). Trying a cheaper one locally and then looking online for a high-end second hand bargain is very appealing!

I'm fairly certain that most SRs follow the same size and shape and are all 16.5mm string spacing - though if you want to check for sure, such information should be on the Ibanez website for newer models. For older models, there's loads of information (and photos) on the Ibanez Register website ( [url="http://www.ibanezregister.com)"]http://www.ibanezregister.com)[/url] - look for the 'old' gallery page.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1279454' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:45 AM']Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I could be on to a winner (eventually).

Does anyone know if the necks are much the same size/shape across the range? I'm not against buying online but I'd be reluctant to do so without being confident that the neck would suit me (I find some basses almost unplayable...). Trying a cheaper one locally and then looking online for a high-end second hand bargain is very appealing![/quote]

The SR range all has very slim necks, and I'm pretty sure they are all built to pretty much the same profile.

If you like skinny necks, the SR500 is, IMO, just about the best value bass you can get for under £500. But the neck is too slim for me. Other models in the Ibanez range have wider necks - particularly the ATK which has much more of a Stingray feel (and tone, come to that).

I've got a SR-1000 that I bought new just over 20 years ago & has been my main bass for just about everything.
The necks on the SoundGear basses are very slim & have very good access right upto the 24th fret. I've never had that issue with the grub screws that Paul mentions, so it might just be on ones from that era or just the 6 stringers (maybe even restricted to 506s).

The old Ibbys had IBZ C2 pickups, which was made by EMG for Ibanez. The higher end SR basses also have pretty good electronics & I've found the "Power Curve" system can give you a huge range of tones. The newer ones have Bartolini pickups.

I originally bought the bass to play rock & metal (& it did the job just nicely), now I use it in an acoustic folk/country/jazz band & planning on using it for some DnB/Dubstep.

It did start life as a metallic black instrument & just recently turned it into an ash finish (Yes, I stripped the paint off it!). I would like it as a 5 or 6 stringer, but the neck's too narrow to fit another in there. :)

Anything else you need to know?

I've still got my trusty SR500, had it 20 years and it still plays beautifully. I tried a new model several weeks ago - the feel of them is still great, the neck fantastic but the pick-ups are miles better than the older ones. Very punchy and you can get a variety of tones out of it. They are incredibly good value for money IMO.

[quote name='paulwillson' post='1279289' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:56 AM']i have an ibanez sr506, happy with the sound, look, feel and weight however the bridge proved to be a real problem. i actualy have 2 in my possesion at the moment and the both fall down the same pit hole. The grub screws sink into the saddles creating clinky noises when fretted. especialy on the A,D and G strings. had to buy a new bridge as the stock ones are seemling awful. theres a few bits and bobs on the net slating the 'nez SR506 bridges. i would imagine its a problem with the stock bridges on the whole SR series although i can only seem to find complaints about the 506 series...[/quote]

I have a SR500 which I absolutely love to bits, plays and sounds great, and as light as a feather.
But I would like to replace the bridge too, as I have similar problems.
So which bridge did you get to replace the stock one? as I am having trouble finding a suitable replacement.

[quote name='paulwillson' post='1279289' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:56 AM']i have an ibanez sr506, happy with the sound, look, feel and weight however the bridge proved to be a real problem. i actualy have 2 in my possesion at the moment and the both fall down the same pit hole. The grub screws sink into the saddles creating clinky noises when fretted. especialy on the A,D and G strings. had to buy a new bridge as the stock ones are seemling awful. theres a few bits and bobs on the net slating the 'nez SR506 bridges. i would imagine its a problem with the stock bridges on the whole SR series although i can only seem to find complaints about the 506 series...[/quote]

I'm having exactly the same problem with my SR300. It did it at a gig a few weeks ago, half way through the second set I noticed the E string was choking. I'd be interested to find out what bridge you replaced the stock one with.

One issue I do have with Ibanez is parts. It took them over 6 weeks to source a battery box/compartment and send it to my local music store.

It's a great bass though, sound and playability. But I've bought a Rockbass rather than another Ibanez.

Mine has the Omni-Adjust bridge, I believe they later replaced it with one called the Accu-cast.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/5864441787/"][/url]

Not sure how it compares with the SR5xx bridges that appear to be having issues.

The B105 bridge on my SR765 is as solid as a tank.. I've adjusted it many times with nothing falling off...

cheers

Mark [quote name='xgsjx' post='1280388' date='Jun 24 2011, 12:16 AM']Mine has the Omni-Adjust bridge, I believe they later replaced it with one called the Accu-cast.

Not sure how it compares with the SR5xx bridges that appear to be having issues.[/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1280388' date='Jun 24 2011, 12:16 AM']Mine has the Omni-Adjust bridge, I believe they later replaced it with one called the Accu-cast.

Not sure how it compares with the SR5xx bridges that appear to be having issues.[/quote]

What model is that? Great looking bass.

*Doh, just read that it's an SR1000 on page one. Nice looking bass anyway :)

Edited by Wil