Why become a member? ×

Single-Cut: fad or future?

Roland Rock

Two horned guitars are graceful like a bird of pray or a spaceship. This goes with the ethereal, soaring sound that electric guitars make.

Bass on the other hand is earthy, primitive, butch stuff. Basses embrace the ugly because they are about dirty groove, the primal beat.

What would you think to a drummer that wanted a curvy kit in fiesta red to match the lead player's strat?

Each instrument has it's own identity. Accept that you are playing bass.

<<Me on Spear S2w singlecut. I played it for a two hour set in front of 250 people on Saturday. Still looking for the next step up from it but haven't found a P or J neck that seduces me the same way. The singlecut is almost incidental but the shape feels just right against my body (yours may vary).

Edited by cytania

I don't mind the look of some of them but I would never buy one. From playing the double bass, I have always enjoyed cutaways when it comes to electric basses! Plus I have always liked SGs more than Les Pauls. So I'm probably not a single cut guy in general.

I love my Sei single cut - it's incredibly lightweight and balances perfectly - and in spite of people often having mixed feelings about it when looking at it on the web / in pics - when they actually see it in the flesh, play it and hear it they quickly change their mind - I've taken it to a couple of bashes and the reaction is always the same - unless they're a lying bunch of bastards! :) I'm sure they're not, being such lovely opinionated chaps... and I still love a vintage P or J bass - or come to that a modern take on a P or J - just because I own a single cut doesn't mean I love those exclusively - personally I think the Warwick ones look horrible but I know someone who own a six string fretless one and he loves it, stating it's the best bass he's ever played...

I think it's all about good or bad design and beauty is often in the eye of the beholder - the water ca be further muddied by the assumed/associated value of a name - be it 'Fender' or 'Fodera' - many folk are happy to pay for that too... and we all know what kind of debate that sparks off too don't we!

M

I am a 'one bass' man, pretty much, but there are certainly some SCs out there that woudl turn my head if I had a spare few grand. Some Fodera's, some Sei's; not all of them. I think the AJ Presentation Fodera is a design highlight but there are some SCs that are plug ugly (the Beez Elite that someone here raved about looks awful to me) and some of the Shuker cutaways don't work for me either. But this is simple aesthetics. I also don't like most double cutaway shapes, most colours (the concept of the 'sunburst' is, for me, the design trainwreck of the century), most headstocks etc etc etc. SCs are, as has been said, an alternative choice. Noone I know could 'hear' a SC in a mix. Its just a look that some like and which others don't. Personally, I don't think I have ever played one but I would love to try out the AJ, even if I have no chance of ever owning one. I almost hope I don't like it so I won't have terminal GAS!!

Just one to throw in here, I like some SCs, hate others... but I'm yet to find a 4 string SC that works for me. Is anybody with me thinking that SCs look better the more strings they have - e.g. 5, 6, 7...?

I'm with urb though, the Seis are a bit weird like that... you may not like them to look at in pictures, but in the flesh and certainly playing them, they certainly work.

Its like anything, a bass has it's place. Turn up for a motown gig with your SC, it'll probably be the last time you are asked. Give Mark King a P bass, he'll probably be a little lost and will be looking for something a little more hifi.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1276743' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:10 AM']I am a 'one bass' man, pretty much, but there are certainly some SCs out there that woudl turn my head if I had a spare few grand. Some Fodera's, some Sei's; not all of them. I think the AJ Presentation Fodera is a design highlight but there are some SCs that are plug ugly (the Beez Elite that someone here raved about looks awful to me) and some of the Shuker cutaways don't work for me either. But this is simple aesthetics. I also don't like most double cutaway shapes, most colours (the concept of the 'sunburst' is, for me, the design trainwreck of the century), most headstocks etc etc etc. SCs are, as has been said, an alternative choice. Noone I know could 'hear' a SC in a mix. Its just a look that some like and which others don't. Personally, I don't think I have ever played one but I would love to try out the AJ, even if I have no chance of ever owning one. I almost hope I don't like it so I won't have terminal GAS!![/quote]

I agree Bilbo - I don't like them all at all and I'm not a fan of clever/different design for the sake of it - in fact I wasn't that keen on single cut designs until I actually saw a couple of completed Sei basses in Martin's workshop and was just blown away by them - but I'm certainly not a fan of every and any single cut design out there... I have a stuning fretless based on a Tobias classic body shape and I love that too :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1276743' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:10 AM'][/quote]

Everyone seems to want to 'pigeonhole' everyone else these days, so here's my two penn'orth. I don't get out too often, so when I go to see a Band or other Musical entertainment, I want to enjoy myself. The above picture gives me three separate reasons to walk out of the Gig before the Band even strikes a note.

1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.
2) He's playing a single-cut Bass. Nobody has [i]ever[/i] played any music that appeals to me, whilst wielding an SC.
3) He's hitching a lift. As soon as I see the 'slapper's thumb' come out - I'm long gone.

Naturally, this is only my opinion, but I find most SC players tend towards the 'highbrow' end of the Musical Spectrum, and that kind of stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not alone in this though, having heard comments on the lines of "Single-Cut Bass? That f*cker's really up himself!" and on one occasion "He came to the audition, pulled a Single-Cut Bass out of it's case, and we told him to p*ss off before he even plugged in!".
Pigeonholed maybe, but I can't see anyone in a Punk or Rock Band wanting to use an SC, so the 'divide' becomes really evident. Perhaps there's a hint of "I'm better than you, because I use one of these" in there somewhere?

(Quick aside to cytania's comment -"Accept you're playing Bass" Most people who buy these seem not to want to accept this. They get them to 'widdle' on.) Once again-My opinion and conception of the usual owners of these clumsy-looking things. :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.
2) He's playing a single-cut Bass. Nobody has [i]ever[/i] played any music that appeals to me, whilst wielding an SC.
3) He's hitching a lift. As soon as I see the 'slapper's thumb' come out - I'm long gone.[/quote]

1) There's a lot of it..... I bet he plays to bigger audiences than most on here :). And I bet more people go to see [i]him[/i] play than most.

2) Your bad.

3) Jackson never slaps. He uses his thumb as a quasi-pick to pluck lines whilst partly deadening the strings with his left hand. A seriously musical approach that many here will know of.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1277187' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:33 PM']Your silly prejudices have robbed you of the opportunity to see one of the truly great bass players. Your loss.[/quote]
Nothing silly about having an opinion - [i]not[/i] a prejudice. I've been to see some of the 'truly great bass players' and became bored at the self-indulgence rather quickly. I don't intend wasting any more of my money to pander to the slightly elitist attitude you show in your post. :)
If you simply attack another person's views as silly, without trying to understand their preferences, how are you going to convert them to your point of view. Your loss. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1277199' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:42 PM']1) There's a lot of it..... I bet he plays to bigger audiences than most on here :). And I bet more people go to see [i]him[/i] play than most.[/quote]
So by that reasoning, I should rush out an buy Justin Beiber tickets?
[quote]2) Your bad.[/quote]
So the Wife tells me!
[quote]3) Jackson never slaps. He uses his thumb as a quasi-pick to pluck lines whilst partly deadening the strings with his left hand. A seriously musical approach that many here will know of.[/quote]
Oooooh! I don't 'know of' a certain person's technique, therefore I'm not as 'seriously musical' as most. Back to the 'Divide' then. :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277225' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:55 PM']Oooooh! I don't 'know of' a certain person's technique, therefore I'm not as 'seriously musical' as most. Back to the 'Divide' then. :)[/quote]

Just listen to 'im. Will ya? Promise me?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139892&hl=AJ"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139892&hl=AJ[/url]

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1274966' date='Jun 19 2011, 05:18 PM']

Blame that guy if you don't like the Warwick thumb SC, he designed it with his friend :) Pretty good tone though, (even though i sense many won't care for what he plays haha)

Everytime i see that ACG it looks nicer and nicer, whats the top/face wood?[/quote]
Definitely think it's one of the worse looking SC's, but dang does it sound great!

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277215' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:51 PM']....Nothing silly about having an opinion - [i]not[/i] a prejudice. I've been to see some of the 'truly great bass players' and became bored at the self-indulgence rather quickly. I don't intend wasting any more of my money to pander to the slightly elitist attitude you show in your post. :)
If you simply attack another person's views as silly, without trying to understand their preferences, how are you going to convert them to your point of view. Your loss....[/quote]
Keep digging!

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.
3) He's hitching a lift. As soon as I see the 'slapper's thumb' come out - I'm long gone.[/quote]

1-Show me a player that [i]never[/i] looks at the neck of their instrument.
2-I forgot that the cutaway on an instrument is what makes the music.
3-You're not familiar at all with Anthony Jackson are you?

I'm guessing the fact that he has 6 strings,plays sitting down and might have been reading charts pisses you off aswell?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1277337' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:03 PM']1-Show me a player that [i]never[/i] looks at the neck of their instrument.[/quote]

1. Jeff Healey.

:)

On two counts. One because he couldn't. Two, cos he's dead.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']Everyone seems to want to 'pigeonhole' everyone else these days, so here's my two penn'orth. I don't get out too often, so when I go to see a Band or other Musical entertainment, I want to enjoy myself. The above picture gives me three separate reasons to walk out of the Gig before the Band even strikes a note.

1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.
3) He's hitching a lift. As soon as I see the 'slapper's thumb' come out - I'm long gone.

Naturally, this is only my opinion, but I find most SC players tend towards the 'highbrow' end of the Musical Spectrum, and that kind of stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not alone in this though, having heard comments on the lines of "Single-Cut Bass? That f*cker's really up himself!" and on one occasion "He came to the audition, pulled a Single-Cut Bass out of it's case, and we told him to p*ss off before he even plugged in!".
Pigeonholed maybe, but I can't see anyone in a Punk or Rock Band wanting to use an SC, so the 'divide' becomes really evident. Perhaps there's a hint of "I'm better than you, because I use one of these" in there somewhere?

(Quick aside to cytania's comment -"Accept you're playing Bass" Most people who buy these seem not to want to accept this. They get them to 'widdle' on.) Once again-My opinion and conception of the usual owners of these clumsy-looking things. :)[/quote]

Sigh... groan... not again... I'm off

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']Everyone seems to want to 'pigeonhole' everyone else these days, so here's my two penn'orth. I don't get out too often, so when I go to see a Band or other Musical entertainment, I want to enjoy myself. The above picture gives me three separate reasons to walk out of the Gig before the Band even strikes a note.

(Quick aside to cytania's comment -"Accept you're playing Bass" Most people who buy these seem not to want to accept this. They get them to 'widdle' on.) Once again-My opinion and conception of the usual owners of these clumsy-looking things. :)[/quote]

You're missing out on one of the true greats of the instrument then...and thats pretty daft really, to turn someone away based on what bass theyre slinging before theyve played a note.....

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277215' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:51 PM']Nothing silly about having an opinion - [i]not[/i] a prejudice.[/quote]

An opinion is usually backed by facts or experience, a prejudice is a dislike either without base or based on something (that should be) irrelevant.

Just saying. :)

I've never properly played a SC, I'd love to but I've never had the chance.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1278013' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:51 AM']I've never properly played a SC, I'd love to but I've never had the chance.[/quote]

Same, people don't tend to like me playing expensive gear in shops, something about looking like a student I think it is....