Why become a member? ×

Parcel2Go - Couriers again

basskit_case

I usually send by CityLink or Parcelforce and have had no problems thus far. However I always pay for insurance despite the fact the basses wouldnt be covered when not sent in a hardcase!

I thought I would look to see what insurance is offered for guitars if not sent in a hardcase, first company I spoke to was Parcel2Go and was told that they cannot accept a guitar for delivery if it is not in a hardcase.

Can anybody reccommend a courier that will insure a guitar when not in a hardcase?

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1268219' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:54 AM']Can anybody reccommend a courier that will insure a guitar when not in a hardcase?[/quote]

If it' not in a hardcase, then I guess any courier company will be able to argue that it was not properly packaged if any damage was to occur.

What is it you're looking to send without a hardcase? If it's cheap then take the neck off and package it in a small box with lots of bubblewarp.

I would suggest that anyone considering sending a musical instrument by any of the courier services should read the small print very carefully.

I still haven't come across a single company that if it wanted to with the assistance of a legal department that was on the ball be able to successfully contest any insurance claim based on the conditions and exclusions in the contract that anyone using their service agrees on.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='1268272' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:33 AM']I always use Interparcel[/quote]

I must admit that I have had no problems with couriers so far, just always felt that I would prefer the added security of valid insurance, even if they try and make you jump through hoops to get it!

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1268219' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:54 AM']I usually send by CityLink or Parcelforce and have had no problems thus far. However I always pay for insurance despite the fact the basses wouldnt be covered when not sent in a hardcase!

I thought I would look to see what insurance is offered for guitars if not sent in a hardcase, first company I spoke to was Parcel2Go and was told that they cannot accept a guitar for delivery if it is not in a hardcase.

Can anybody reccommend a courier that will insure a guitar when not in a hardcase?[/quote]

Please think carefully before considering Parcelforce in future - they won't even cover instruments in a hard case beyond the base insurance value for the service chosen - but will happily charge you at the Post Office for insurance that will NEVER pay out.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='1268219' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:54 AM']..............d when not sent in a hardcase![/quote]

Why would you? :) Unless you're talking double-boxing and a sh*t-load of bubblewrap instead, why would you? Or is this just a fr'instance?

[quote name='neepheid' post='1268740' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:19 PM']Please think carefully before considering Parcelforce in future[/quote]
+1 - the saying that involves renumeration & brass washers springs to mind.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1269212' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:02 PM']Why would you? :) Unless you're talking double-boxing and a sh*t-load of bubblewrap instead, why would you? Or is this just a fr'instance?[/quote]

I know what you are saying but its a case of having too if the guitar has no hardcase, but I do make up for it with shedloads of cardboard, bubble wrap and parcel tape.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1268740' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:19 PM']Please think carefully before considering Parcelforce in future - they won't even cover instruments in a hard case beyond the base insurance value for the service chosen - but will happily charge you at the Post Office for insurance that will NEVER pay out.[/quote]

Yes, the responsibility to establish whether the item being sent is covered rests solely with the customer. And if you choose to not establish that, they will still accept your cash. Whether or not that is fair, well as Big Brother says "youw decide!"

Edited by Lozz196

I've bought many instruments online and they are always just shipped in a cardboard box. The only exception would be an ebay bass that was shipped in a coffin case. (currently for sale! :) )

Never had a problem with damage. I would be surprised to find that none of those basses were ever insured.

I once received a bass guitar via CityLink that was shipped in its padded gig bag :) with no extra packaging and there was no damage at all.

To get round this issue it might be worth buyers shipping a hard case to the seller so that the bass can be shipped in a hardcase and at least be correctly insured.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1269586' date='Jun 15 2011, 06:55 AM']Yes, the responsibility to establish whether the item being sent is covered rests solely with the customer. And if you choose to not establish that, they will still accept your cash. Whether or not that is fair, well as Big Brother says "youw decide!"[/quote]

My main point is that the service as it stands is wholly unsuitable for posting musical instruments, be they in a hard case or not.

However, I disagree with your assessment of this insurance situation. It is absolutely not fair. Why is that situation any different to self employed people being mis-sold PPI which would never pay out? The banks (eventually) got a hiding for that one. Mis-selling insurance didn't work out for the banks, so why the hell should it be an additional source of revenue for ParcelForce?

[quote name='neepheid' post='1269750' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:21 AM']My main point is that the service as it stands is wholly unsuitable for posting musical instruments, be they in a hard case or not.

However, I disagree with your assessment of this insurance situation. It is absolutely not fair. Why is that situation any different to self employed people being mis-sold PPI which would never pay out? The banks (eventually) got a hiding for that one. Mis-selling insurance didn't work out for the banks, so why the hell should it be an additional source of revenue for ParcelForce?[/quote]

Don`t get me wrong, I agree with your post entirely - it`s wrong to sell insurance for something that is not covered.

I was just quoting the "how we wriggle out of it" excuse that would be shoved at the customer, lumping the blame entirely at their doorstep.

Interparcel have always been spot for shipping basses, boxes will always get thrown about but there are steps you can take to make sure it arrives ok.

One of the best things for shipping bass bodies and necks is those air pockets/pillows that come in strips. If you have the large (not the tubular) ones you can totally encase a neck in them, it'll actually bounce on a drop test!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1269801' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:51 AM']Don`t get me wrong, I agree with your post entirely - it`s wrong to sell insurance for something that is not covered.

I was just quoting the "how we wriggle out of it" excuse that would be shoved at the customer, lumping the blame entirely at their doorstep.[/quote]

Rubbish, isn't it? I hope they get the book thrown at them in the fullness of time.

Slightly off topic I know, but insurance is nuts, we pay mostly to feel covered, but in reality if it comes down to it, half of what we pay out for aside from house and car, we would not be covered in most events due to small print

Recently we where stopped from starting a football match because the centre had not received full payment, we asked why they knew the balance would come later as always, their answer was without full payment logged we would not be insured, "insured" we asked "what then are we insured for?", "accidents" he replied, "wow, one of our guys broke his leg on this pitch last year, should he have claimed, we didn't know he could?", "oh no, that wouldn't be covered"